1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 1, 2007.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Right, or New Order for that matter. Both groups were a bit edgier and even crossed over into rock genres.I was thinking more of pure Synth POP (with Pop in all caps), but point taken.

I've liked all Erasure's output up until the mid 90s.

boomboom and mikol13 like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I agree. Huge New Order fan here too.

You’re right that there is definitely a difference. While Mode has had hits, they are much darker. So I agree that Erasure is much poppier.

Kind of feel like Erasure went off and started playing more to A specific base. That doesn’t take away from anything they’ve done of course. Mode just keeps being Mode.

I’m glad that Mode got rid of Vince Clarke. I don’t think they would have been who they are otherwise.

Also wish DM would do another album with Andrew Wilder. I feel like that’s when DM really found themselves. He pushed them to be more than what hey were. Mode is finishing up an album and planning a tour after all that been happening.

No that I’m all over the place with this convo...

boomboom and DCkid like this.
  4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The new album from X is good. Could easily fit in as a continuation of their best 80s albums.

And one from way back

5. TimDuncanDonaut

H.E.R. - I can't Breathe (NBA's playing this in their in/outro on the games)

YG - swag (a song could have come out 10 years ago) :D

Dinner Party - Freeze Tag. (70's soul type of track)

Khruangbin - Pelota (Musical trio from Houston)

Other tracks:
    kofee - pressure (reggae)
    Sam Smith - Oaisis
    NIKI - Selene (light funk/disco)

And this.... anamaguchi - game of thrones :D

#12045 TimDuncanDonaut, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    K mf G, Deckard and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  6. OkayAyeReloaded

Listening to Logic's new album No Pressure, he said he's going to retire to focus on being a great father to his newborn son, so it's his final album.

It's been excellent so far, I see why it's a call back to his classic first album Under Pressure, I haven't skipped a track so far.

You can stream the whole album here:

https://logic.lnk.to/NoPressure

mikol13 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

It is a decent record. After things settles down with fatherhood, I think he'll return to music. Apparently, he got a sweet lucrative deal to stream on Twitch. He'll still be in the public's eye.

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

9. GIGO

GIGO Member

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This took me by surprise... (FTR, I like this...not as much as the original but still a nice remake)...

12. TimDuncanDonaut

Chong the Nomad - On Fire
    (Lot of ideas thrown in the track production. Groovy synth.)

Jack Harlow - What's Poppin (remix),
    (bunch of NBA bars. Yea that Jack Harlow, the one who got Lou Will in trouble with the bubble)

Sleepy Hallow x Sheff G - Tip toe
    (Probably heard it all now, someone gone out and sampled Tiny Tim. Novelty song.)

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

5 grandkids whining

boomboom likes this.
  14. GIGO

GIGO Member

quarantine version

00:00 Shaker Song
    02:40 Catching The Sun
    06:30 Morning Dance

mikol13 and Deckard like this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Anyone besides me heard of Split Enz? Legendary New Zealand band, with a bit of Australia tossed in there, that was founded in the '70's? Absolutely insane music? If not, or if you have, this is a great introduction to the band (which no longer exists). The ARIA (Australian Recording Industry Association) inducted Split Enz into their Hall of Fame in 2014 and the great Tim Finn (a founding member) accepted the award for the band. Those who are fans of the '80's classic independent film, The Coca-Cola Kid, will remember him.

The video of the history of Split Enz that's shown at the awards show will literally blow whatever brain cells you may have left. A must see, in my humble opinion. Enjoy.

GIGO likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I kept thinking "I know this group for some hit..." but I couldn't remember which hit or if I was just imagining it, but ... this is it :

mikol13 and Deckard like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just remembered how much I used to love Cocteau Twins in the 90's. Their musical sound can be ethereal.

From what some dub as Elizabeth Fraser's "dolphin phase", is the following. lol. I think it sounds beautiful if you close your eyes and just chill to it.

Also loved this one :

Deckard, mikol13 and boomboom like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's likely the best known, closest to "mainstream." Good ear. ;-)

In 1984 some of them became Crowded House and put out an album of the same name. They had a really good song on the LP that had a lot of play, Don’t Dream It’s Over. This is a live version during their last performance in 1996 before a huge crowd at Sydney in front of the Opera House. Split Enz was quite different. Very avant garde, which you'd never know from Don’t Dream It’s Over, or Crowded House, for that matter.

#12058 Deckard, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I posted a cover version of that Crowded House song by of all people, Miley Cyrus and Ariana Grande. That Crowded House song is one of my favorite songs ever probably, but I do have a lot of them. lol. I had no idea the Split Endz connection.

Deckard likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks for not mentioning that I got the title of Don’t Dream It’s Over wrong not once, but twice. It’s not The Dream is Over. My dream of getting song titles right is over! ;-)

Some of the biggest influences on Split Enz are Frank Zappa and The Kinks. It shows in the video celebrating the band shown at the awards ceremony. You’d never know it based on the two songs we mentioned. That’s a trip.

GIGO likes this.