1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mr. President: ‘Just who the h*** do you think you are?’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't write this, but I do agree with its sentiment. I am sure others on here do as well.

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/leonard-pitts-jr/article132721909.html

President Donald Trump: Just who the hell do you think you are? | Miami Herald
    Dear Mr. So-Called President:

So let me explain to you how this works.

You were elected as chief executive of the United States. I won’t belabor the fact that you won with a minority of the popular vote and a little help from your friends, FBI Director James Comey and Russian President Vladimir Putin. The bottom line is, you were elected.

And this does entitle you to certain things. You get your own airplane. You get free public housing. You get greeted with snappy salutes. And a band plays when you walk into the room.

But there is one thing to which your election does not entitle you. It does not entitle you to do whatever pops into your furry orange head without being called on it or, should it run afoul of the Constitution, without being blocked.

You and other members of the Fourth Reich seem to be having difficulty understanding this. Reports from Politico and elsewhere describe you as shocked that judges and lawmakers can delay or even stop you from doing things. Three weeks ago, your chief strategist, Steve Bannon, infamously declared that news media should “keep its mouth shut and just listen for a while.”

Just last Sunday, senior policy adviser Stephen Miller declared on CBS’ “Face The Nation” that “our opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned.”

What you do “will not be questioned?” Lord, have mercy. That’s the kind of statement that, in another time and place, would have been greeted with an out-thrust palm and a hearty “Sieg heil!” Here in this time and place, however, it demands a different response:

Just who the hell do you think you are?

Meaning you and all the other trolls you have brought clambering up from under their bridges. Maybe you didn’t notice, but this is the United States of America. Perhaps you’ve heard of it? Nation of laws, not of individuals? First Amendment? Freedom of the press? Any of that ringing a bell?

Let’s be brutally clear here. If you were a smart guy with unimpeachable integrity and a good heart who was enacting wise policies for the betterment of all humankind, you’d still be subject to sharp scrutiny from news media, oversight from Congress, restraint by the judiciary — and public opinion.

And you, of course, are none of those things. I know you fetishize strength. I know your pal Vladimir would never stand still for reporters and judges yapping at him.

I know, too, that you’re accustomed to being emperor of your own fiefdom. Must be nice. Your name on the wall, the paychecks, the side of the building. You tell people to make something happen, and it does. You yell at a problem, and it goes away. Nobody talks back. I can see how it would be hard to give that up.

But you did. You see, you’re no longer an emperor, Mr. So-Called President. You’re now what is called a “public servant” — in effect, an employee with 324 million bosses. And let me tell you something about those bosses. They’re unruly and loud, long accustomed to speaking their minds without fear or fetter. And they believe power must always answer to the people. That’s at the core of their identity.

Yet you and your coterie of cartoon autocrats think you’re going to cow them into silence and compliance by ordering them to shut up and obey? Well, as a freeborn American, I can answer that in two syllables flat.

Hell no.

2. LAM

LAM Member

He needs an exclamation point at the end, but hell yeah!

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Why are you posting satire?

4. Buck Turgidson

The "so-called President" and "Fourth Reich" verbiage does not help, it just gives his supporters that much more ammo.

Invisible Fan and wouldabeen23 like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Leonard Pitts writes well. I wish I had penned it. Kudos for the find, OP.

Having said that, Buck has a point. While I agree that there are some frightening parallels, if one digs into German history in the first half of the 20th century, that particular language is apt to dilute the impact of his column. He should have left those references out.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

Well I understand you position on this matter he is Potus for the next 4yrs so just as so many from the right dislike President Obama and some of the thing he stated we all will have to suck it up nd make a difference in 2018 to make it better.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I would have left them out if I had written it.

Buck Turgidson and wouldabeen23 like this.
  8. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Unfortunately so, the author got drawn off-sides. While it may be applicable based on his point, it's lost its meaning except for others to dismiss the speaker ad hominem.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Impeach him before he destroys the country

edwardc likes this.
  10. adoo

adoo Member

Trump’s Tweets attacking the San Juan Mayor is a National Disgrace

Nothing shows leadership like attacking the victims of a deadly hurricane.

That’s what Americans learned on Saturday morning, waking up to the news that the president – already under fire for his administration’s inadequate response to Hurricane Maria’s devastation – is now lashing out at the mayor of San Juan.

From the safety and comfort of his New Jersey golf resort, Trump attacked Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz on Twitter. “The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump,” he rage-tweeted at 7:19 AM. With this sentence alone, the president politicized the unfolding tragedy in Puerto Rico, based on nothing but his bruised ego and bad headlines.

Trump’s response to the mayor of San Juan reveals how unfit he is for office. He apparently cannot handle pressure without resorting to personal attacks on others. He seems to lack any sense of personal accountability. He is easily angered. Even when lives are literally at stake, he is still in his element behaving like a bully. As of today, Trump has hit a new point for unacceptable behavior – and provided his fellow Republicans with more opportunities to distance themselves from him.

And the saddest thing of all here? Trump’s personal pathologies will provide another distraction to the media from the humanitarian crisis unfolding on U.S. territory.

Trump’s latest tweets on Puerto Rico constitute a national disgrace. At a time of major national emergency, he has – again – shown the world just how small he really is.

Rashmon, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Trumpets want a revolution. All according to their 4d checkers master plan

12. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Best president ever

Roc Paint likes this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not surprising that only a definite minority of people in the U.S. approve of Trump. He's brought all the criticism upon himself. He made his bed, but he seems to have a hard time lying in it.

His approval rating is about the same as Altuve's batting average. Good for a baseball player, but horrible for a politician or leader.

No Worries likes this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hopefully he will make you rich enough to become a contributing member.

cheke64 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Woah...baby steps.

How bout rich enough to...
    ...buy and sell NEW hair gel?
    ...pay off Devry loans?
    ...move out his mom's basement ?

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Just ask yourself, what does Geraldo Rivera think?

17. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I'm contributing my time and effort to make this place great again

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do better...hey, even your President claims to have donated $1,000,000 of his own money to Harvey relief. The least you can do is send $10 to the BBS.

19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Do you guys take btc?

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Yung-T likes this.