1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to Germany

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Oct 15, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, something else. We have Personal Liability here, too ... covers what house/rent and car insurance doesn't, but I've never been asked to buy it, even by USAA sales people. Say my dog gets loose and chases a biker and causes them to crash, for instance. Also, libel, etc.

The circumstance with my company was we could get a key to the office. But since that key opened all internal/external locks (some 30-40 of them), if you lose it, they said it would cost $36k to replace, because they'd have to rekey all the locks for security reasons...and you know how locksmiths in Germany are pricey, when doing one of those solid doors. I said What? you'd expect me to pay that? And they said everyone has personal liability to cover it..."it's common." Co-workers said they had it not just for our company keys, but it's just common to carry it.

That's all I know.

Jontro likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Pretty sure he's talking about Haftpflicht, meaning if he accidentally damages someone's property etc.

@heypartner yea pretty much everyone does that here, seeing how you'd be in huge financial trouble if you don't have that liability insurance and damage someone's car, something in their apartment etc.

Jontro, Deckard and heypartner like this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

I haven't read the thread but I am jealous. Enjoy the amazing roads and better drivers. And buy a porsche for me.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Eh, grass is greener on the other side. :D

Maybe more comfortable with higher speed, but on an average commute to work you'll still want to smack around a lot of the drivers you encounter.
    Clogging the middle lane, not using their turn signals, illogical use of speed (driving slow when there's no one in front of them, being aggressive when there's cars in front and no viable way of passing), taking forever when the traffic light turns green etc.
    Probably the same all around the world.

daywalker02, Jontro and Sajan like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We've been to Germany several times and I think you'll love it. Looking at the location of your company, it's a great place from which to visit the Netherlands (for a change from Amsterdam, check out the modern architecture in central Rotterdam), Belgium (go to Bruges in the off-season!), Switzerland in the Spring, with flowers everywhere, Prague in the Czech Republic, Denmark, France - all quickly gotten to by train, and the trains are outstanding. The German countryside is beautiful, the food is great, and English is widely spoken. Using your German will be appreciated, though. I'll add that the roads and highways are terrific!

I'm jealous! :cool:

#45 Deckard, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    daywalker02, malakas and Yung-T like this.
  6. Convictedstupid

Really jealous, congrats!

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I lived in Munich for a year but did not like their winter and fall one bit. Heyp's advice is solid. It took me time to get set up with a bank account and work visa.

I would try to do the move closer around April when the weather becomes less depressing and everything and everyone starts coming to life. Texas is mostly a land of continuous sun so it's easier to take it for granted. The annual cloud cover in northern Europe would make a Seattle naive cringe.

If you're set on the moving date, I would plan travel vacations at that time to southern Europe (Italy, Portugal, Spain...each region is pretty much a different country!) since Germans are more generous with pto. Google flights or Skyscanner can set up some quickie travel destinations for three or four days at around 200 less Euros round trip. I guess you can ask co-workers about the DB pass that let's you use the train on a set basis but if you don't ride rail often, it becomes more expensive than flying. Hostels are cheap and excellent, but read the reviews for any mention of bedbugs. That's the biggest concern. I never had a problem with other people. Europe really feels much safer in every sense than the US.

Didn't need to learn much German because the Western half knows excellent English. I think that was a mistake on my part not to immerse myself in the language more because the Eastern half were taught by Russians until the Wall fell and there's a lot of places to be. I feel like former Eastern Bloc areas in Europe are more adventurous without the "English tax". It's less developed, has less tourists, and cheaper, but when **** happens, it really happens. Once you get settled, Hamburg and Berlin are definitely different experiences. Hamburg has a Bay Area money vibe (if that's accurate), while Berlin is "Austin weird", expansive and gritty along with it being the capital. Munich is also worth a visit, but you've already missed out this years Oktoberfest in September.

Try to get paid in Dollars. I'm serious, it sucks to have a fistful of devalued Euros.

I forgot about the "Christian tax". There's also a pension that I'll never see, so factor that in your pay negotiation.

#47 Invisible Fan, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Solid advice in this thread. Not sure I have much to add.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I love everyone’s view on my situation. Some really great insight from a lot of great posters!

10. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Oh, another recommendation: check out Transferwise (or if they have competition now, check around). They do really low-cost flat-rate transfers of money between different currencies, and I had to send money to the states every month for years and this was a very fast convenient service.

Perhaps even better, I think they have a product now where you can have a single account with them that has multiple bank numbers in multiple currencies. That way you can get paid Euros in Germany, just give them your German bank acct #. Get paid Kroner in Denmark, use a different #. You can withdraw in different countries and their conversion rates are way lower than the banks.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, always have winter depression around this time of the year and am sleepy all day. :(

Same for the younger generation in the Eastern half, you should always be able to find someone able to speak English.

Berlin is probably my favourite German city. As you described, it has a really unique and colorful vibe that separates it from most places. There's a ton of cheap hotels and tourist attractions, so should definitely spend at least a weekend there.

Munich is my 2nd favourite city here, it's a bit more upper-class mostly, which separates it from the huge contrasts you have in Berlin. Munich has a ton of parks and castles, plus you are a short drive away from the Alps, which are a must-see.

Oktoberfest is kind of a tourist trap, packed as hell and absurd pricing. Pretty much every Bavarian village and city has its own version, those are the better place to be if you want to see a traditional Bavarian festival in a more relaxed atmosphere.

Deckard and malakas like this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Only have to pay that if you are a member of the church, fortunately.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Nah don't say that.
    Everyone likes what they dont' have. I am sick and tired of the same old sun every single day and would love to have a german or even an english winter. We even have summer like weather now in November it is horrible. I envy your rain and snow.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Guess you wouldn’t envy high humidity.

malakas likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

lol yeah..I am good without that.

BTW OT does the Sahara desert sand lately reach up to you in central europe?

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its true but its easier to visit cold/snow and then get tired of it and come back to sunshine at home, than it is to visit sunshine and beaches and come back to cold and snow.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think there is a heatwave though, it is still mild in October.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I forgot. Make SURE to talk about the KING of beers, Budweiser. Germans really love beer, so it's imperative to make sure that they understand which is best.

donkeypunch likes this.
  19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

European drivers seem to have a better understanding of passing on the left (or right, depending on where you're at). I was amazed at how nearly everyone gets out of the fast lane unless they're passing. I never drove in Germany, but drove 3-4k miles in UK, Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, and Belgium.

Also, to OP, I found that many Germans were super friendly helping when I was lost navigating in the subway or in the cities. Small sample size, but everyone was pretty genuine. They were eager to 'practice' their English (even though most of them were near fluent).

Sajan and Yung-T like this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

My favourite beer as well, good taste. :cool:
    I think the Euro version is different, not sure though.