1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to Germany

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

isn't there a consulate or something that can help with that kinda stuff?

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That sounds spectacular

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

US Consulate? I didn't need to go there. As I recall, I think their website was enough. And I recall ppl on internets saying to avoid going there and their lines.

What I meant by starting to ask the company was they have to start some paperwork on their own...and they should know where local office is. And you have to do things on your own. Once everything is prepped, just walk into the local German office, ideally with a German co-worker to help answer questions, and it goes fast. US Consulate and their lines isn't necessary.

another item to carry into German office is a special photograph. easy to get. That goes on the visa in your passport.

#23 heypartner, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Jontro likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

Congratulations and best wishes for your new start in Germany!

You know I have heard a lot of Germans complain about their americans acquintances and "friends".

They feel scammed but it is a misunderstanding because of different cultures.

Because americans are typically very expressive and affectionate with their gestures and words even when making first meetings and it really means nothing to them, it's just what is considered good american manners. "Oh I am so happy to see you."
    But in the german psyche and culture, to be so ..expressive towards other it means it's real and you must really feel something for the other person.
    So that's the root of the misunderstandings when these poor germans realise that it was all just "fake" and it didn't mean much to the other person.
    Yeah not sure I explained it well at all..but something to keep in mind maybe if you understood what I am saying.

Roc Paint likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Question begs, is Justin James also part German?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48279713

It's not exactly Germany....

jcf and malakas like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Woah, you just accurately described how I feel when around uber nice people lol. I never put my finger on why uber nice people came off as weird to be me but I guess that's it.

Growing up in public schools in Houston, kids were constantly trying to roast/prank/rob each other, if I looked up to someone smiling at me I'd think someone just did some **** to me, if someone was acting super nice I'd be suspicious if they were being sarcastic and making fun of me somehow.

Kind of ****ed up that I'm that cynical, to be honest.

BigM and malakas like this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Healthcare should be pretty easy, it's covered by the employer and taxes, so you don't have to directly pay yourself and just choose the healthcare provider (there's a looong list, your employer should be more than able to set you up with a good one).

Seeing you are going to Wuppertal, it's one of the most beautiful and green places in the NRW region, as it is surrounded by nature and not in the core of the Ruhrgebiet. So you should definitely be able to enjoy the city and go to the tourist spots (parks, castles, museums etc).

With Wuppertal on the outskirts of the Ruhrgebiet, you are living near the most packed and industrial region of Germany, so you'll be able to visit a lot of large cities, attractions and have shopping opportunities. It also has a ton of iconic soccer clubs like Dortmund, Schalke, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Gladbach, so make sure to attend at least one game to absorb the European sports atmosphere, try to get tickets for one of the heated local derbies (don't use 3rd party markets like viagogo, which have inflated prices, just buy them from the club online).

You'll also have the Rhein river nearby, with the surrounding nature it's one of the most beautiful places in the country (only matched by Bavaria imo), so make sure to spend some weekends or short trips there. A bit to the south, the Eifel region is lovely as well, with its huge river, vineyards and a lot of medieval looking towns with castles.

Now to Germany in general:
    We are a bit more reserved than most countries, especially goes for the older generation. So when you have someone not talk to you a lot or not smiling all day, it doesn't necessarily have to mean that they don't like you.
    The younger folks are more open though and pretty outgoing, talking English also shouldn't be an issue, as we learn it from Kindergarten on nowadays.

Germany is famous for its cultural heritage, so make sure to attend a lot of historical places and museums, you are in one of the best regions for that.

I think @Raz can chime in, seeing how he lives near Wuppertal.
    @AroundTheWorld probably also has experience with foreigners starting work in Germany and how to help.

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Congrats! Great country. The auto industry is the backbone of the Germany economy, the strongest economy in Europe.

Because you already have a job, healthcare won't be an issue. Your employer will pay half, the other half will be deducted from your paycheck. You just have to choose which provider you want to go with. In Germany you get insurance through a private company but it's heavily regulated, so the basic plans are all almost identical. Healthcare here is a dream compared to the States.

You may want a German speaking friend or colleague or friend to help you get started. You'll probably want to get a bank account right away, bring your work contract with you to prove regular income. Once you've landed an apartment, go to city hall to register where you live; and if your company hasn't already handled it, go to the Ausländerbehörde or Ausländeramt (probably also in or near city hall or 'Rathaus') to be sure your work visa is settled. Always keep it with your passport when you enter and leave the country. I think www.immobilienscout24.de is the biggest web resource for apartments. If you use their mobile app, it does a better job of translating stuff to english.

Your American drivers' license is only good for 3 or 6 months after moving there. Eventually you'll need a German one or international one. Germany has a different agreement with each of the 50 states in the union, determining how many of the tests you get to skip, if any. TX license transfers directly, I think. Getting a license in Germany is no joke- people spend over 1000 to go to school, big written test, city driving test, night driving test, highway driving test, and it must be done with stick shift. Of course, you don't need a car here - the infrastructure is excellent and you can take trains and buses anywhere you need.

Wuppertal used to be coal country so there are some ugly strip mines here and there, but otherwise the Ruhrgebiet is a green and pretty place. Dusseldorf isn't far and has the biggest Japanese community in Europe, lots of excellent Asian food in the center of town. Many of the coolest cities in Europe are 1 to 1.5 hour flight away: Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam, Vienna, Copenhagen, etc.

I'm afraid the winter is very, very dark and if you like sunlight you are going to need to take measures to deal with seasonal depression. The NRW area in particular has immense cloudcover from now till like April. The weather is extremely similar to Seattle/Vancouver in the winter months. Gray blanket clouds, gentle drizzling rain for days on end, sometimes going a week or more without direct sunlight. It's frankly awful. A sun lamp at home or even a visit to tanning salons (popular here) can help. I did some research and in terms of hours of sunlight per year, the brightest areas of Germany are darker than Seattle. No joke. However, the spring and summer and early fall are green and lush and gorgeous.

10. heypartner

Great explanation.

I forgot about registering where you live. I'd add in, you'll need to get a biometric visa photo taken prior to going to Ausländerbehörde. Any foto express type store does this. Get two or more taken. I can't remember; I used the second for something else. S-Bahn pass?

btw: they just stamped the visa into two pages of my passport. Which means, make sure your passport isn't getting full. If so, get a new one before leaving??

daywalker02, Deckard and Yung-T like this.
  11. heypartner

@Nolen and @Yung-T: I also recall something about most Germans get Personal Liability insurance, and they were surprised when I said that wasn't really a US thing, then I wondered whether I should get it.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By coincidence, watched this video on YouTube a couple of days ago for no apparent reason, im sure there are s million other crappy youtube videos just like it, but I really want rolladen now.

#32 Ottomaton, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Deckard likes this.
  13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Wear sandals with socks and pastel-framed eyeglasses and you'll fit right in.

malakas likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Getting to a country with a leader who has integrity and a government that cares about their society - you are upgrading!

Good for you !

DD

15. Roc Paint

He absolutely is

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. Roc Paint

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all of that great information. You’re making my decision easier for sure. Thanks again

heypartner and Nolen like this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

18. Nolen

I think it's pretty typical for people to get Haushaltversicherung or household insurance, it covers all sorts of basic stuff like if some of your things get stolen or damaged. Maybe that's what they meant by personal liability?

19. Nolen

Another random tidbit: when you register in City Hall, they might ask you what religious affiliation you have, if any. Please note, if you declare a particular Christian affiliation, that an automatic tax will be deducted from your paycheck and sent to the church! It's small, but it's there. If you don't want that, you need to specifically say you're not affiliated.

Invisible Fan and mikol13 like this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They LOVE Americans, we saved them in the WWII! Make sure to be loud and let everyone know you’re American, make sure to wear sweats and trainers, talk about how the NFL is the only ‘futbol’ that matters, and you’ll do fine.

ronclone and R0ckets03 like this.