1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars: Han Solo Origin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 9, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They are thinking outside of the box. Most movies don't fire their director or they cast a lead that doesn't need acting lessons.

It's like "Hello grandpa! This is 2018!"

2. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Doesn’t matter if they did or not. It’s the first or last time in history anyone gets fired and replaced.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you see, "Hail, Cesar!"? Alden Ehrenreich was really good in it, IMO.

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Man I'm hoping this doesn't suck. Very concerned by the fact that most of the trailers show very little of Han...that can't be a good sign but we'll see

On SW topic, I watched The Last Jedi again on amazon with my family and it is much better upon a repeated watch. Still a bit long but would have been awesome if they just cut Space Leia and the whole Finn arc.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m not excited about this movie and I haven’t even see the trailer yet. Not sure why as I’m always at Star Wars on opening weekend.

plutoblue11 and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  6. VanityHalfBlack

I got the movie pass, so yes, I will check it out.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

These Star Wars movies are coming out every year now, at least Lucas waited a few years in between movies. Disney doesn't give a s#it.

Nook likes this.
  9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Hilarious that you seem to think all I like is mindless drivel, whereas my impression is that people only like the new Star Wars movies because they slapped the Star Wars logo on them and put in some blasters and lightsabers.

I like to think I have fairly sophisticated taste when it comes to movies. I understand that there are different kinds of compelling storytelling. Great.

How are the original Star Wars movies cookie cutter, by the way? The first one was a mashup of a western, a heist movie, and a World War II dogfighting drama in space. The second one literally had the bad guys win and the good guys spectacularly fail, and then they rolled credits. Those were great, fresh ideas!

The prequels made some awful casting, story, and dialogue decisions, and ruined the backstory to the point that I like to pretend they didn't happen, and that the true backstory of Anakin Skywalker is a tale of genuine friendship, camaraderie, difficult choices, betrayal, emotion, and tragedy - not whatever hamfisted garbage we got in Episodes 1-3.

Episode 7 was good in the way that Creed was good, in that it essentially retold the original story with fresh characters. I thought it showed a lot of promise. Admittedly, I have never watched Rebels, although I've heard good things. I just don't feel compelled to watch the television series or read any novels for a story that is ostensibly a film saga.

Rogue One I have mixed feelings about. I like what they tried to do, attempting to tell a story about non-Jedi's. It's a move I applaud, and making the final battle more of a war movie was a great decision. My biggest beef with Rogue One is that, for a movie that everyone claims is so "dark," there's very little tension in the movie. It plays more like a Jet Li action flick than a film with emotional depth. I mean, take Titanic for example. You know everyone's going to die in the end, but even that movie did a much better job of building tension and really making the audience agonize with the plight of the characters, both because of the extended scenes of the sinking ship, and with all the stuff going on with the rich guy and his gun-toting henchman and whatever. Titanic is a darker movie than Rogue One!

The Last Jedi. Man, we're just going to have to disagree. On one hand, in these new movies Disney can't help itself from milking every self-referential iota it can out of the franchise. (seriously, they're going to have a scene with Chewbacca playing on the chess set in the Millennium Falcon in the Solo movie) On the other hand, they went out of their way in the Last Jedi to discredit much of what was good or interesting about both the original characters and the new plots they had set up in The Force Awakens. (why exactly did Yoda use his crazy "fake" voice/persona when he shows up? That was literally a disguise character he was playing so that Luke wouldn't know who he was, not his actual personality) I don't know where they go from here. I guess they'll fight Kylo Ren in the last one, maybe bring him back to the good side or whatever. Great.

You know what would have been more interesting? What if Rey actually stayed with him? What if she thought, "hey maybe I can turn him and I'll stay with him and change him" That would have been kind of interesting! Like, there's at least a question in my mind that maybe she'll go bad and Kylo will be the one to save them, or something at least. A nice twist! Instead, people did dumb things and failed for dumb reasons. And all of the interesting mysteries like who Snoke was and who Rey's parents were were just brushed aside like they didn't matter, and Kylo became the ultimate bad guy for no reason. That's not "refreshing anti-cookie cutter" stuff. That's just bad, lazy story telling.

I saw somewhere that the actions of Poe and the girl with the purple hair, can't remember her name, would have made a lot more sense if they would have planted the idea that there was a spy among the rebels. And I agree! That would have been a nice touch, to sew some suspicion, instead of just having people behave stupidly.

I feel like I can keep going on a lot of mini rants. Why was Finn such a doofus the whole movie? Why was the female StormTrooper never developed, like at all, and just "dies" randomly in both movies? I didn't even mention Luke and Leia. I'll even give the bombs in space and the weaponized hyperdrive a pass. I'll allow some wiggle room cause it's science fiction/fantasy. But the story is bad.

#109 DarkHorse, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    B-Bob, mikol13 and MadMax like this.
  10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

For all the crap the movie gets (after all the praise it initially got) this is my only problem with it. He's way too spastic.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

For the last Jedi, they supposedly went away from all of jj Abrahm's mysteries. JJ hasn't earned any trust back for me to think those hooks would pay off to anything meaningful, but the issue here is not that it went a different direction but why they did. Something like snoke reeked of Palpatine ruining the balance of the force. Well you unravel snoke, kill him, then balance restored and trilogy ends right? Instead, he gets hit by a bus and the story continues in a more mundanely personal scale. It becomes more character driven than an epic clash of mysterious unbeatable evil.

It's a play to milk the franchise beyond three movies and branch it off into a biannual thing rather than a once in a decade (or two) event.

If anything, they'll probably go with the MCU model where there's a 'showrunner' who ties the movies together. A neverending story with a slow simmering climax. There's always the reset button.

This isn't your father's or grandfather's Jedi.

#111 Invisible Fan, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    mikol13 likes this.
  12. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I didn’t read a line, but I can tell you’re still butt hurt and easily triggered if it’s this long

The Last Jedi was great!

13. PeppermintCandy

In the Force Awakens, Poe gets captured and Kylo Ren does a mind-meld thing to him, but the movie never quite explains how Poe escapes from that and gets back to the rebels. I had assumed this would be addressed someday with Poe maybe being a sleeper agent, but it seems like that idea has been dropped or was never an option. Just as well, I guess.

14. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Last Jedi sucked, troll. And I liked TFA.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Wookie Bromance.

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

The Last Jedi > The Force Awakens. Don’t @ me. Watch Star Rebels and then write me a two-page essay on how great it is, troll.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Definitely.
    I still have a hard time with the pacing.
    I mean the whole movie happened in a day . . . 1 day . . .less than 24 hours

By the end of the movie. . . . I was beginning to think that the 'rebels' are more 'terrorist' than anything
    I mean for all their . . WE ARE RIGHT!! WE KNOW THE TRUTH!! . . The rest of the empire could not give a Rat's Ass about their rebelion
    They called for help and absolutely no one came
    They are literally a rebellion of about 30~60 people against a Galaxy government . . . . .
    Those aren't Rebels. . . .those are malcontents!

Rocket River

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He escapes because Finn rescues him...they steal a tie fighter, are shot down and crash back on Jakku.

justtxyank, B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Some are saying Emilia Clarke didn't fit or work in this film, i.e. a miscast. For those who have seen it, do you have an opinion?

It seems like they are putting her in anything these days. I didn't really like her as Sarah in "Terminator", either.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The hype for this movie and word of mouth from my own experience seems minuscule compared to the last 3 films.

Personally I have seen the last 7 films within a week of them coming out. And I do not think I will even see this in theaters.