1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars: Han Solo Origin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 9, 2016.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

a sneak peek scene featuring lando. SPOILER:

2. Nero

Nero Member

Have you watched the newest ones?

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I have. I actually mostly liked Force Awakens and thought it was getting back on track.

But I feel like Rogue One was super overrated (it was fine, but nothing great) and the Last Jedi was a flaming turd. I don't think they can recover from the Last Jedi, and after a run of about 6 or 7 bad movies with the best one basically being a reboot of the original movie, I decided I don't need to try and fuel my nostalgia any longer.

The first 2 Star Wars movies were great. I'll grant Return of the Jedi cause it closed out the original story. I just can't get behind anything else, though.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

no force, no jedis, no bueno.

and is that general what's his face from the new trilogy. he shouldn't be born until 20 years later.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It may have bombed hard, maybe not, but I really wish we could have gotten Lord and Miller's take on the material. This seems a bit mundane.

7. tallanvor

The force/jedi stuff doesn't bug me. Han just doesn't at all seem like Han.

Jontro likes this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

To reduce disappointment and complaints, I think everyone needs to hit the reset button on what they expect from a Star Wars movie.

Let's just admit the "magic" is gone, maximizing profit is the primary goal for Disney but the movies can still be very enjoyable if done well.

bumbum09, Jontro and peleincubus like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"190 years old? You look great!"

Nook, tinman, Clutch and 1 other person like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

OH NO, the first little trailer did not blow my mind...

Movie must suck.

eric.81 likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

like @tallanvor breh said, the downfall of this movie is han solo not resembling anything like han.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That movie could not look more dull and generic lmao

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Does it seem like the hype and buildup are noticeably less for this one than the others?

Perhaps Disney agrees with you.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think that's true, and it's likely compounded by the bad press they received from the re-shoots and the actor's inability to portray Han well. Those have been highly publicized.

I'm sure it won't be bad. It'll probably be a fine watch. Ron Howard does a pretty good job. I just think Disney's approach on these new Star Wars movies is to play everything safe, which is pretty lame.

Star Wars movies are supposed to feel like events and cultural moments. Disney deciding to do a new one every single year makes each one feel less and less exciting, which is a shame, but they don't care, nor should they, because it's guaranteed to rake in the profits.

Torn n Frayed and A_3PO like this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I certainly understand the "play it safe" thing about Force Awakens. I don't think that's true of Last Jedi. The director has literally said he was trying to be subversive...and he was...to the tune of alienating and splitting large chunks of the fan base.

I'm not sure if Rogue One was playing it safe (though I'd argue otherwise, since they killed off every character)...but I loved that movie. Aside from Empire, that's my favorite Star Wars movie.

DCkid, mikol13, Clutch and 1 other person like this.
  16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still excited about this. I think the key for me is going to be deciding beforehand that I don't care if these new actors "feel" like Lando and Han. Because odds are they won't be able to really capture that Han smirk perfectly or Lando's sort-of greasy charisma. But that doesn't mean it won't be a good, entertaining movie. I'll give it a shot on those terms and see how it plays out.

Surfguy likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, I was kinda "split" myself when it came to "The Last Jedi." On one hand, it offered what you didn't expect, unlike its predecessor. Some of the ideas and visuals were awesome (Snoke's chamber; weaponizing light speed). On the other hand, Luke tossing the lightsaber to the ground and basically playing Island Hermit the entire movie, and Finn and Rose riding space horsies.....um, guys, you can't get this movie back).

They let the pendulum swing too hard in the other direction after the TFA backlash: "They should have called it 'A New but Same Hope'!"

I appreciate artistic vision but some of the choices didn't work for the overall theme. And, of course, the pall that hung over the ending due to Carrie Fisher's demise.

Solo? I look forward to it, but hope it isn't simply good in the sense of fitting in the wider universe of Star Wars, much like Black Panther, so sorry, for all its high points, probably serves best as a lead-in for the next Avengers movie.

18. tallanvor

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

20. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

You don’t think Star Wars can recover . The Last Jedi was fantastic. Star Wars Rebels is also some is the best written Star Wars of all the bunch as well. Cookie Cutter lovers got their butt’s hurt. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. But don’t say it’s not going to recover because you didn’t like it.