1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Growing a tad tired of the 'best since empire strikes back references'

We heard that with attack of clones. Then they said same with revenge of sith.

Of course that is what everyone was saying after the force awakens.

So we can expect it to be somewhere between caddyshack 2 and empire strikes back?

The whole star wars series feels like a job to me now. Its been part of my life Im starting to feel like I grew up on jakku. Or is it tatooine? You see I was just fine on tattoine being a moisture farmer. Why cant this be more straightforward? Lets make a new sand planet. And while we are at it maybe we can get richard gere to sit on that gerbil on the dashboard of millennium falcon. fml.

Im so pissed right now about this stuff that this is some kind of final verification I have reached maximum cynicism. I am officially in that group known as grumpy old man.

As much as mark hamill cares (or may not)I dont know if he can do it by himself. This is starting to feel more like ratt getting back together for one more tour.

They had every opportunity for han to be something in force awakens and failed. Even his death was a fail. They could have not shown the kylo rens face at all ...or in more dramatic style and instead its to seemingly pick his nose. The writing was so lazy and predictable I could swear dom capers was the screenwriter.

But yeah mfer I will be there.

im no fun ...heres another $50 disney for my whole family....

francis 4 prez and RudyTBag like this.
  2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Driving back down to the Houston area next week. Just moved to Austin for a new job. Going to watch it at Regal AKA Palladium. Got the tickets purchased....can't wait.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I haven't seen so much anger over a movie no one has seen since "The Last Temptation of Christ."

B-Bob, mokulen and Torn n Frayed like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why does everyone have a problem with Kyle Ren's face? Lol. I do NOT get it at all. What the heck? You want him to be prettier? Or a robot? Or a monster? And if so - WHY? Y'all cray.

5. MadMax

Because they want him to be more like Vader from prior movies...but want the new movies to be less like the old movies too....which is a little confusing.

I find the fact that Kylo is more human than machine to be way more compelling than the one dimensional Vader (who only showed a different dimension in the last 20 minutes or so of a trilogy).

He's a conflicted villain BECAUSE they're telling a different story here..and I think we're going to see an entirely different story for the lead protagonist in this next film. We'll see.

Ziggy likes this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I want the scene to not be total dog sh*it. Is that fair?

Whether they reveal his face or not it doesnt matter but dont spend half the movie covered and then almost non chalantly just take it off. Same for killing han. Idea was fine ..terrible execution.

The way han was killed was borderline blasphemy to the character. It felt like wrestling with less intrigue. No one seems to know why he was killed. That on its own is weird.

Hearing mark hamill talk about it now sounds like storylines decided in a board room. Im concerned but my expectation is level going is at all time low for this story.

Im excited about chewbacca and mark hamill

7. MadMax

1. Not sure what movie you watched. He took off the mask long before he killed Han. He had it off multiple times before that point.

2. He was killed trying to rescue his son. His son was conflicted. He thought about it..and still killed his dad. He did so because he was told to do so by Snoke...which was also explained in the film in a conversation between the 2 about how difficult it would be for Kylo to face his own father.

3. not sure what you've heard from Mark Hammill. I've seen interviews with him where he says he was shocked by what was in the script for The Last Jedi.

Ziggy likes this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I thought Ford wanted his character killed in the original Trilogy. They could have found a more badass way for Ford to go out, but ford probably didn't want to play the part anymore.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

People love Star Wars because is has a strong nostalgic pull. People want to relive that nostalgia. The problem is we are adults now and not kids and thus look at the movies in a different prism.

10. MadMax

Agree entirely. I think it's better to state, "we view them in a prism that we didn't view them in when we were younger watching the older films." The flaws in these new movies are many of the same flaws that exited in the old ones. It's just that we were 8 years old watching those movies back then.

Deuce and tinman like this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

He took his mask off at least halfway if not more the way through and it was non chalant. A big moment they could have done something with and they botched it.
    The is same as saying prequels are a good idea then jar jar binks. If they are going to introduce a new masked evil jedi have the stones to make the reveal more memorable. Try.

In the most undramatic fashion ever. If you are going to kill han solo the greatest character of science fiction you dont have him go out like that.
    Even the DIRECTOR "THINKS"

"I think, Kylo Ren, at this moment, is actually being convinced to walk away from this"

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-force-awakens-kylo-ren-han-solo-death-jj-abrams/

So the DIRECTOR doesnt friggin even know! This should not be a "think" situation!! You should know, I should know. we should all know why han was killed!! I shouldn't have to get an explanation from some dude on a basketball bbs!!The system is broken for fu**cks sake!!
    dude where you been?
    "
    Likewise, after reading Rian Johnson’s script for The Last Jedi, Hamill said, “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to realize your vision.'”

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/st...amill-disagrees-with-luke-skywalker-storyline/

http://www.slashfilm.com/mark-hamill-rian-johnson-disagreement/

Not exactly glowing endorsements

Right and they didnt even try! It was so lazy and sad I want to cry how they gonna do my boy han like that !!Feels like harrison ford mailing it in with disney as accomplices. Very poor execution anyway 1/10 on the WAY han died abd the scenes. NOT the fact han died

12. runamok

runamok Member

I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING............

IBTL and Mr.Scarface like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Funny you say that I was all excited to share force awakens at theater with my 8 year ..and he saw the laser and said " ANOTHER death star!?!?
    "
    Even he was calling it into clown show and I was honestly embarrassed

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

You don’t think the death of Han by Kylo’s hands will be revisited or play a major role in Kylo’s character arc in The Last Jedi and/or Episode 9? You don’t think a chain of events was set in motion by that one emotionally charged decision? You’d rather see Han die spectacularly in some badass, CGI-ridden, meaningless dogfight/shoot-out? Um, okay.

These are characters we’re seeing DECADES after the original trilogy. They’ve changed, and people need to accept that. Granted, TFA didn’t do a great job of detailing this out to any extent, but we don’t know how important Ben was to Han, the handsome rogue turned husband/father/hero. All we know is that Ben falling to the dark side “broke” him and the Solo family. I’m going to assume that after Episode 9 and the upcoming Solo movie, we’ll be able to revisit this scene in a new light.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't trust all the post-premiere twitter nut-blasts that state a film is the best thing since pre-greased condoms. But I am holding out hope that the reviews will be good. I think it will come down to (a) whether the critic in question goes along with the director's vision and (b) whether the critic goes for the 2.5 hr film length.

The "vision" thing shouldn't be an issue. Disney not only did not pull the plug on this director as they are wont to do if they think they will lose money; they gave the director his own side trilogy for the future.

MO MONEY MO MONEY MONEY

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobody saw Bladerunner 2049, everybody loves it. Everyone is gonna see this movie, everybody hating it. Y'all cray.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  18. MadMax

The director isn't saying he doesn't know...he's saying Kylo is unsure in the moment...he was. He's conflicted. That's the very point of the scene. Everyone knew that....it was insanely clear that he was considering not killing his father...that he was torn apart, as he actually and literally said in that very moment. Hell, there was even light shining on him while he was considering turning away from Snoke....and then the light went away...and he killed him.

Mark doesn't like the direction Luke was taken. He said he was shocked. He said he didn't like the idea that Luke was NOT the same...that he was so bitter and negative after being so optimistic for his entire time on film before.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Fair. Lets hope the next one is better executed

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

FIFY, and trying to say

[​IMG]