1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Honestly, I have no idea how anybody could dislike TFA. It was the perfect film to get the series back on the right track.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

hahaha @ the end of your spoilers. Sign me up for that version. :D

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Have you admit I dont have high hopes for this, the last one by JJ was a rehash of 4, 5, 6 just fast forwarded. Disney is trying to milk this thing for all it's going to give, they really could not give a crappy about the continuity or quality of the series as a whole.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member

Nice work. I like the space football game idea. They can dress like tron.

Its shameful how copied force awakens was and this has me going into full cynic mode. This will be like doing a bunch of blow. I doubt I will crack a smile

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don't remember TESB having space hampsters!

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't think it looks as bad as some of you. I think it would be much better if:

1. Kylo Ren never took his helmet off (in TFA)
    2. It was still The Empire instead of the First Order
    3. Snoke was just Palpatine (reincarnated)

I don't think there are any spoilers at all. Just misdirection. The director's tweet is just adding to the misdirection and people are falling right into his hands.

I will see this, but I wonder if I would be as excited about it if I didn't have kids. That's really the main reason I'm looking forward to it - I get off on them loving it like I did when I was a kid. Taking them to see it in the theater is what it's all about for me. Life coming full circle, in a way. I have more fun watching them watch the movie than I do watching the movie!

That being said, I don't think this is going to come close to the greatness that was Rogue One. That movie gets better every time I watch it again on Netflix, which I've done like 4 times already. Oddly enough, my kids didn't really like it as much as TFA.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't think we're looking at an Empire remake. The middle part of the story needs some kind of conflict, even if it's manufactured (see also: "Hunters, House"
    How old are your kids? "Rogue One" has a lot of elements disparate to your regular "Star Wars" films----no opening scroll (it would have had to be very similar to that of "A New Hope", anyway), main characters getting killed rather than cartoonishly surviving.

"Rogue One" was really good but pure awesomeness in its last third. Maybe that was Disney stepping in with re-shoots: "no, no, no, no, the ending will rock and Vader will kick some "a". Vader's attempt to get the stolen plans, cutting through the brave but doomed rebel alliance soldiers? Priceless.

As far as this new movie? Looking forward. It'll be good to see Luke again. He's had exactly 40 years to redeem himself with a new opening line that is not a whiny, "But I was going to Tosche station to pick up some power converters."

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I don’t really care if seems remade or predictable...I’ll watch it and so will 99.9991% of the people that have ever watched a Star Wars movie. George Lucas and Disney fist bump as the Star Wars money train keeps on a rollin’.

9. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because it was a boring rehash with zero original ideas. Say what you will about the prequels (the writing and acting were AWFUL), at least it had an original, interesting plot. That is my hope with Rian Johnson at the helm with 8.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah...the idea of a gifted kid growing up on a desert planet, being brought out of it to be trained by a Jedi, and subsequently blowing up the bad guys' big space station was totally original.

jo mama and B-Bob like this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My kids don’t love Star Wars. I mean will they watch and be entertained? Sure. But it holds no special place in the world for them. Just another movie.

In fact they much prefer Guardians of the Galaxy.

And honestly... I can’t blame them.

And they really were meh on Rogue One just like your kids. I guess it was a bit slower. I liked it better.

12. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a terrible strawman. For the record, episode 1 is far and away the worst (which is what you are referencing), but there was much more to the story than those two elements. Meanwhile, TFA was a literal carbon copy of 4 (down to the ridiculous Starkiller/Death Star side by side). Not surprising, Disney wanted to play it safe and chose Abrams, who has never had an original idea in any of his films.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Reported due to savagery. :D

MadMax likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To add to the possible misdirection Tweet from the director. Hamill's choice of quote.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They are both 6. They can tell you who Rey, Fin, and Kylo Ren are....but nothing about Jyn, Tarkin or Director Krennic, etc.

16. MadMax

Phantom Menace was one of the prequels and was absolutely a retelling of the same A New Hope story. That was not Rey's story in The Force Awakens.

17. Buck Turgidson

I will watch it, and I will have fun doing so, for I am not a massively cynical internet dork.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because it was an awful film, with awful writing, acting and character development? Because Kylo is the most douchey character ever, and Finn and Rey are Disneyland bullshit characters that have zero depth or complexity, but also check the Female/Black progressive boxes so as to not offend anyone? :D

Star Wars - Michael Bay, essentially. That's just me though. No offense intended If you enjoyed it. I wish I did!

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. MadMax

I, for one, am deeply offended. I've just cancelled my subscription to your newsletter! Good day, sir!!!!!!!

;)

RudyTBag likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not a fan of "overly spoilered trailers." So if I can, I stay away from those.

I will say, I did watch the trailer and I did not think it was spoilery. More than anything it raises more questions than answers. So I think it did it's job. There is clear misdirection in the trailer. And it is clear they are holding stuff back.

Good trailer. It whet the appetite and I don't need to see anymore of this until I see the movie in the theaters. Well done.