1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Captain Marvel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly not sure why everyone is complaining about the movie possibly being formulaic.

When's the last time an MCU movie (or comic book movie) dealt with a war between two alien races? When's the last time an MCU movie had their primary antagonist be a bunch of shape-shifting aliens?

This movie looks to be as "feminist" as Wonder Woman was, and that movie didn't push any sort of agenda, imo. It was a movie about a woman kicking ass...which I suspect CM will be, too.

All we have is a trailer which didn't show very much, and people are seriously pulling the "this movie caters to feminists" card out of nowhere.

tl;dr let's reserve judgment until a more informative trailer (or even the movie) comes out.

Also, I don't know why everyone is also making a big stink out of Brie being a "6." The only MCU female character who's supposed to be as cast as "beautiful" (in the comics, at least), is Natasha Romanoff. And that's because there was actually a reason. "Attractiveness" shouldn't have anything to do with a hero or heroine.

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think it'll be good. MCU has had more hits than misses, so until otherwise I'll assume they'll put out a quality flick. The trailer looks pretty decent.

Rocket River and B-Bob like this.
  3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They 100% will. Pretty certain this is what he was alluding to when he said: "the last time I trusted someone I lost an eye".
    A Skrull pretending to be a high ranking SHIELD official is what I'm guessing.

#123 seclusion, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I want pics of SOs for anyone calling Brie Larson a 6.

(Also, just to play devil's advocate, technically the original Guardians of the Galaxy was dealing with a war between two alien races. Coincidentally the same 2 that are in this movie, but we didn't actually see the war -- this is one of the things I'm most excited about.)

Rocket River likes this.
  5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You do know that Green Lantern is DC and has nothing to do with Marvel, right?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you listen to Joseph Campbell, every heroic story has the same plot.

Betting against Marvel right now would be like betting against the Patriots. Eventually, they will stumble and fall, but I'm not going to bet on it on any individual film until it happens.

I could imagine how they might stumble by viewing the film as nothing more than something necessary for the introduction of her character in the next Avengers film, but that seems too obvious a mistake for them to make.

I watched the trailer on YouTube, and an "analysis" video auto-played afterwards. It started with someone feeling the need to explain what Blockbuster was and that it was "a really big deal" in the 90's, and you used to have to go there to rent movies if you wanted to watch them at home.

At that moment, I died a little inside from old age.

#126 Ottomaton, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    GRENDEL, arkoe, Dave2000 and 3 others like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That’s why Marvel can’t make it good or great?

But yeah many similarities...the fighter pilot theme, alien team of heroes, magical powers blasting from the hands, space sci fi...

Just commenting on the disappointment that’s most dc movies.

seclusion and arkoe like this.
  8. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Saw the trailer and was not blown away but I wasn't really expecting to be this early. As an FYI, Scott Pilgrim was just added to Netflix for those of you that haven't seen it.

seclusion likes this.
  9. Entropy

Entropy Member

Brie Larson has a "I need to take a **** but can't" expression in every scene of the trailer. Shoulda went with Emily Blunt instead.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm not really interested in getting drawn into some D&D type discussion. There is a whole forum for that and I stay out of it for a reason.

I would add you assuming you understand my motives well enough to definitively state why I said what I said is every bit as presumptive as what you assumed I did. Everyone on the internet always seems to think they know more about everyone else than they do. I guess it is a function of the anonymity.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I calls it how I sees it.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Going to Hollywood Video on the weekend, after a long week at school, to rent the latest PS2 game for $5/day was a highlight. Definitely feel you on the "old" thing.

Wait...not sure if serious.

Marvel couldn't make GL great...because they literally can't touch the property. That's like a Nets fan complaining about how the Nets can't be great bc Daryl Morey can't make them great.

Ehhh it was really about the desire for obtaining the power stone by Ronan - but since it was such a threat, the Nova Corps stepped in, along with the GotG. Regardless, whatever war there was, was definitely in the background. I don't think the Skrull were a thing in GotG. My memory is fuzzy on the movie though - can't believe it's been 4 years since that movie came out.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It wasn't a major detail but the Kree / Skrulls have been warring for thousands of years and maybe I'm mistaken they may have only mentioned the Kree / Xandarians.

#133 seclusion, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

the trailer didn’t get me all that excited for this movie tbh

as of right now, I just want to get this movie out the way so we can get to Avengers...I’m more excited for what role Captain Marvel will play against Thanos

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I have to agree. If the standalone movie is great, pleasant surprise. Otherwise, it'll be the necessary setup for Avengers 4.

Hey, the standalone won't be bad, you know? It can't stoop to the dog**** level of Justice League. At worst it'll be "just good".

16. Senator

Senator Member

2 wrongs make a right?

The big difference is that Law and Order is a procedural made for a few million, and the superhero movies are 150 million blockbusters that are written to be stretched out forever. But they still stick very closely to cheese ridden formula's and don't take creative risks despite dominating market share. That isn't good for actual original content or director's that want to take risks, why would a studio invest in something that isn't guaranteed profit? This will be a forgotten time in cinematic history compared to all the decades past where there were many big budget but original, creative and oscar worthy films.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Oh man, u gotta actively sabatoge your own movie to end up as sh*tty as Justice League. My god, that was terrible. Batman v. Superman started out ok and then morphed into 1 of the dumbest movies I’d ever seen. DC is dead.

I’ll catch this movie in theaters mainly because Avengers comes out right after it so I’m gonna need to know what they’ve done with Captain Marvel before I see it and can’t afford to wait for it to come out on Redbox. I still haven’t seen the last Ant-Man movie.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This was clever, though, yes? "Captain Marvel" will precede "Avengers 4" by 2 months. You have to see it in theaters to have the lead-in. It won't be out on redbox or rentable on Uverse or whatever.

Mo money, mo money, mo money!

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, it’s very clever...it’s either see the movie in theaters or rely on a Wikipedia synopsis or YouTube movie review

Most anticipated post-credit scenes in MCU history for this movie?

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's part of her new origin story. :oops: