1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moses, Payton, and Kemp...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Jun 1, 2006.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm in this NBA all time fantasy draft tournament, I advanced to the second round and I'm facing one of the toughest teams in the tournament, I need to present an argument to beat them. I bring up Moses, Payton, and Kemp because they are their three best players. What would you do against this team?

Probable Starting Lineup:

C - Moses Malone
    F - Shawn Kemp
    F - Michael Cooper
    G - Dan Majerle or Andrew Toney
    G - Gary Payton

Probable Depth Chart:

C - Moses Malone – Herb Williams
    F - Shawn Kemp – Paul Silas – Truck Robinson
    F - Michael Cooper – Jim Paxson
    G - Dan Majerle – Andrew Toney – Lionel Hollins
    G - Gary Payton – Danny Ainge

With this team:

Starting Lineup:

C – Bill Russell
    F – Rasheed Wallace
    F – Dirk Nowitzki
    G – Sam Jones
    G – Lenny Wilkens

Depth Chart:

C – Bill Russell (44) – Swen Nater (4)
    F – Rasheed Wallace (28) – Dirk Nowitzki (12) – Darryl Dawkins (8)
    F – Dirk Nowitzki (28) – Bobby Dandridge (20)
    G – Sam Jones (38) – Mario Elie (10)
    G – Lenny Wilkens (40) – Brent Barry (8)

The numbers next to them are the amount of minutes, I also have Rudy T and Mike Bibby on my team, but for now I don't think I need them. I know my team is better, at least IMO, but that team advanced against a team with Kareem, McHale, Mo Cheeks, Earl Monroe, and Mark Aguirre! They shouldn't have advanced against that Kareem team, but it did because of the respect they have, the way you win is by votes. I don't think I stand a chance against the respect that team has unless I present a very convincing argument. What would you guys do, strategically?

I already have an argument, and I think it's convincing enough for me, but can you guys tell me something I don't know? Specifically about Moses and Andrew Toney, they were before my time, and also about GP and Kemp. From what I remember about a prime GP is that Russell would have a field day blocking his shots, and I remember Kemp dominating at times, but at other times he was mistake prone. GP can post Lenny up, but that would take either Moses or Kemp off the block, I can imagine problems with two players taking up the post too.

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The thing that jumps out at me about your team is the fact that they can stretch the floor with Dirk and/or Rasheed, while also having the ability to post those guys up. If one of those gets a mismatch, say with Dan Majerle, he can post him up while the other seven-footer hangs out on the perimeter in case of a double team. Twin towers that can go inside or outside is a frightening notion.

3. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

lenny wilkens was a good defender back in his day, stick him on gp to slow him down

their team has good 3 pt shooting with cooper, majerle, and gp, but so do you

moses malone was a rebounding machine during his time...you gotta get a body on him at all times especially if russell has to go help with kemp

i really wouldn't worry about kemp that much though...sure he could posterize alton lister and chris gatlin, but hakeem used to swat everything kemp put up back in the day...so if kemp is able to penetrate, russell should be able to come over and neutralize him

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You've also got two guys who won championships as player-coaches, in case you forgot. Much better leadership, you could argue.

5. JumpMan

Thanks CreepyFloyd, defensive strategy is what I'm mainly looking for as I don't think they can stop me offensively. What about Moses offensive game? How much would Russell take away if he doesn't allow him to dominate the offensive boards? Yeah, they have great three point shooters, but who will pass them the ball when they're open? Was Moses a great passer out of double teams? I know Kemp wasn't so I think Payton would be the only guy that gets them open looks, unless Moses could pass, I don't know. How good of a scorer was Toney? He's like a legend with some people...

Jugdish, Lenny Wilkens was only a coach when he won a championship with the Sonics, he took over for Russell actually, then I have Rudy on the bench who won championships too. And yeah, I made sure I pointed that out a long time ago, even Darryl Dawkins won a championship as a coach, in some obscure league, but still.

6. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

well i looked up some stats and moses averaged over 20 ppg for his career, the guy just found ways to score, but russell actually averaged more rpg than him...i wouldn't double team malone....i think the two should cancel each other out...kemp was real good in transition during his prime and so was cooper so you gotta make sure you get back on d and not allow them to fast break...i dunno how good of a defensive player sam jones was, but he should dominate against majerle on the offensive end...you should play man to man so that they can't get open 3s and have your frontline crash the boards and that way i don't see how they could beat you

7. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

i stopped looking when i see Bill Russell :D , sorry man!

8. JumpMan

Moses career assist average was 1.7, while turning it over 3.1 times a game, with career highs of 1.8 assists and 4 turnovers a game, does that mean he was a bad passer? That makes me think that he won't be able to pass it out to their three point shooters, and I could double team at will to force more turnovers with guards (Lenny, Sam, Mario, and Barry were good stealers) because of that. Kemp averaged a little bit more assists but he turned it over like crazy too, plus he fouled a lot... Man to man would be fine because neither Moses or Kemp were great scorers, at least not like a Kareem or Karl Malone, but forcing turnovers with double teams seems to be an option too.

Sam Jones was a pretty good defender, he was great at stealing the ball, but he was probably as good as Richard Hamilton defending one on one, not bad, can he stop Toney?

It looks good on paper, but so did that team with Kareem and McHale, and they still lost 10 votes to 6.

thetennisyao, sorry man, I probably would have taken Yao, but he wasn't eligible. ;)

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

10. JumpMan

He's a pretty good dunker...

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

How many teams are there that Brent Barry made an all-time team?

12. max14

max14 Member

with the way Dirk is playing right now. I think you'd be lucky to not get swept.

the other team lacks a bit premeter D, but Payton and Toney is not going to get it done.

13. max14

max14 Member

whoops sorry I got it the other way around.

14. JumpMan

Well... It was a 30 team draft, 12 rounds, we can pick anyone in NBA history who had at least 5 years of NBA experience. Brent Barry was my last pick, I'm only playing him in this match up because his backup PG is Danny Ainge, too big for Mike Bibby. He wasn't that bad when he was good back in the day...

15. peterlake144

peterlake144 Member

Russell and Wilkins are both on the all-time top 50 team. It appears that your opponent has only 1 (Moses)...

Might that be a place to start when making your argument?