1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moses Malone compare with Olajuwon

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 959sz, Sep 7, 2015.

1. 959sz

959sz Member

Anyone interesting this topic?
    I think Moses is better offencer&rebounder,but Hakeem is better defender.
    I think Moses is better a little on drawing foul&FT.

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Hakeem is the greatest player of all time.

That's my comparison.

1 person likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think the 2 greatest overall players in history are jordan and kareem.

i also think for about 3 years hakeem had the best stretch ever of any player.

im pretty sure a lot of people on this site would agree with me.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Moses was a beastly dominant player. I wouldn't say underrated, but perhaps overlooked in the pantheon of great bigs.

Still, he didn't play the bulk of his career I n the greatest big man era which was effectively mid 80s - 2000, he wasn't as good a defender as Hakeem, and was t exactly a creator offensively for anyone other than himself.

But he was indeed Shaq before Shaq.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Moses is as good as any BIG to ever play the game, with the exception of Hakeem, who was far and away the greatest in my opinion.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Interesting comparison. Shaq was more explosive and a much better (and more willing) passer, Moses had more skill away from the basket and was far better on the glass. But both guys would just overwhelm opponents with their physicality.

And while it's true that Hakeem faced better competition at the position (and was in a different stratosphere defensively), it can't be forgotten that Moses would routinely throw Kareem around like a rag doll.

#6 dharocks, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Nope.

The Dream > all the rest.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Moses is Obi Wan Kenobi. Hakeem is Luke Skywalker.

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Hakeem was more athletic but Moses was still a great defensive player. Moses was also probably the best offensive rebounder in the history of the NBA. Its hard to sell short someone who was a 3 time MVP playing at the same time as Kareem.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Hakeem is GOATer than Moses.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Moses taught Hakeem a lot about the game that one summer. I think that says plenty, but the pupil surpassed the master.

Pele, Kareem was great, but the thing that separates Hakeem from Kareem was how Hakeem really picked up his game when playing against tough centers. Kareem was just good at pounding the inferior talent with his perfected moves like the sky hook.

Here's the stats of Kareem vs Moses:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=malonmo01&p2=abdulka01

It's pretty clear that Moses was better than Kareem. Especially when it counted in the playoffs. Hakeem surpassed Moses, so what does that say?

Hakeem > all other centers when it mattered in the playoffs

Hakeem was pretty normal in the regular season compared to playoff Dream.

#11 don grahamleone, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

2 time MVP who is underrated and under appreciated even by Houston fans. Put him on the Celtics instead of Russell and he has rings on every finger. No where near the offensive force of Hakeem the Dream. Look at Hakeem's offensive numbers in the playoffs and you will realize he is the greatest offensive center of all time. You got the defensive part right, steals and blocks there was just nothing like Hakeem at center....so say Jordan.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Bill Russell has become very underrated by our younger generations.

1 person likes this.
  14. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think many of you guys ever even saw Moses play, except maybe on some YouTube videos. I view Hakeem and Moses as equals. They are both among the top five or six Centers of all time. People can have their favorites and debate all day about who the very best is, but all of the top five or six are great players that warrant consideration as the very best.

Hakeem had a prettier game, and had a more diverse offensive game. Moses was a better rebounder and was just a bulldog in the paint. I loved watching both players. And I think it was cool that Moses took the time to teach and push a young Akeem to be the great player he would become.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is the right answer

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I saw him play. Equals? Nah. Moses was great, but nowhere near the player Olajuwon was. Olajuwon was far more skilled. Moses was probably a little tougher, definitely stronger, but nowhere close to the overall player Olajuwon was.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Moses MP season in 1982 is probably the greatest individual season in rockets history

31.1 ppg
    14.7 rpg
    1.5 bpg

In this year he was 1st team all NBA ...was second in the league in field goals made....1st in free throws made ...leagues leading rebounder... 2nd leading scorer.

18. Steve_Francis_rules

I'll take Hakeem's MVP season:

27.3 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 3.7 bpg, 1.6 spg, 3.6 apg

Defensive Player of the Year, Finals MVP, 1st team All-NBA, 1st team All-Defense, 2nd in the league in field goals made, 2nd in the league in defensive rebounding, 2nd in the league in blocks, 3rd in the league in scoring

19. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Yeah, Kenny was saying how Hakeem would tell he would just coast against lesser C's during regular season, and basically only have to step up against the likes of Shaq/Ewing/D Rob etc. Not arrogance, just a simple fact that he didn't have to go all out every game.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

And people wonder why Robert Horry was so worthless during the regular season then all of a sudden he's the player you must have to win the big one. Hakeem, the lazy in a good way Dream, Olajuwon.