1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey wants to draft playoff opponent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 18, 2018.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think the joke is not the proposal itself, but the fact that he makes it when the Rockets have just taken the no. 1 seed (temporarily, at least).

CallMeTheDream and da_juice like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey is a horrible gm

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

The thing is NBA champions are always the best team, there is no upsets due to the 7-game format. Most of the time top team sweep low seed teams anyways. I heard an idea to make first round 3-game, second round 5-game, last 2 rounds 7 game. I think it will make each game more exciting.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. Coach E

Coach E Member

He’s not joking, he’s actually advocated for this before.

It’s a great idea, blow up the divisions and conferences and just have 30 teams.

Each team plays a pair of games, then have a system similar to the NFL where games are based on a rotating schedule and takes into consideration playoff teams.

I think we may be seeing the first signs of this with how the all star game is moving, captains and a draft. Don’t be surprised if next year there are no conference restrictions and it’s just top players regardless of east west.

As clutch says, this would make for some major drama since it’s basically a call out “we know we can beat you”. Can you imagine some of the story lines? It also rewards the best teams, thus making the regular season more meaningful and fun to watch. The last benefit is it doesn’t punish a good team because of their geography, If your the 9th seed in the west but would of been the 5th seed in the east, your season isn’t lost.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

With the first pick in 2018 playoffs draft, the Houston Rockets have TRADED the selection for a playoff series vs. the Hawks and Suns combined roster and future Cash Considerations.

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't fancy any idea that means less playoff games. I live for the NBA playoffs. If anything I want more of them not less.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

It's just sports. Shouldn't shame be a very normal and healthy part of it? We rag on these guys for how much money they make, and the emotional cost of any job is a real consideration. Would you consider being picked last cruel and unusual?

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Theatre people make way more sense than regular people. Why is that? Evaporation is the word that comes to mind when discussing home court advantage.

Batman Jones likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nothing would make more money for the league than the drama generated by that. However, the NBA seems to have instituted a policy that organizations can't insult each other (was it the mavs/horse tweet that made everyone so uptight?).

So for the same reason they didn't show us the all star game player draft, they probably won't do this until a generation of 50 year olds arrives that doesn't watch television.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The NBA regular season is too long for too little meaning. That's why teams rest their star players. And we fans are to pay high ticket prices to watch them sit on bench.

11. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Why not air the all star draft then!?

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

no point having the regular season then. The 82 games is the qualifying period for the Playoffs already. no need for extra tournaments

malakas likes this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

I absolutely hate this idea.
    I'm all for drama and this is the opposite of drama.
    The pleasure of the last month in the RS is to watch the seedings and decide what team your team matches up better with to lose or win the last games.
    There is an element of luck involved which is what makes sports even better. If we have this draft system is too much controlling and even more boring.
    Immediately will make me lose almost all of the interest I had to watch the first rounds.

You think picking an opponents is dramatic?After a season at most it will be treated as normal and noone will be offended.
    If there was a 10% of upset in the first two rounds with this draft system there will be 1%.

14. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Reduce the number of regular season games. Nba makes money but we all have star players suffer injuries and we care less about reg seasons

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It would certainly subvert the old cliche of a playoff team pretending that they don’t care who they face in the playoffs.

16. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Stupidest idea I’ve ever heard. I have a better idea IMO......
    Keep the East and West conference but make teams from each conference play each other in the PO’s.
    For example if the PO’s started today this is what the format would look like:

HOU vs. MIA
    GS vs. PHI
    SA vs. MIL
    MIN vs. IND
    OKC vs. WAS
    DEN vs. CLE
    POR vs. BOS
    NO vs. TOR

Home court would of course be determined on the highest winning percentage amongst the two teams. I mean could you imagine a 1st round matchup of Dame vs. Kyrie? Russ vs. Wall? Green vs. Embiid?
    Let me know what y’all think....

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The media should just vote for a title winner. Since RESPECT is y'alls #1 priority.

don grahamleone and Easy like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is a great trader yet an average 1st round drafter.

19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i dont like the pick em idea but getting rid of conferences would be good for the game.

play each team twice and schedule the travel accordingly. would make the playoffs immensely more intriguing. nba tourny brackets will be a thing.

i'm iffy on the play-in idea. i think the 15-16 seeds will already be a mad scramble.

20. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

NBA playoff is too predictable. Do you get excited about all those 4-0,4-1 series?