1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey wants to draft playoff opponent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Can't agree with this pick the opponent thing...it's just too much.

Play in though, I like that, would help curb some tanking especially if play-in teams still remain in the lottery. Play-in games would also be a lot of fun.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There definitely have to be some protections in terms of drafting opponent. Someone came up with the scenario of a top opponent having a minor injury to a star player ... Normally they could still beat lower seeded teams ... If the 1 seed was able to draft them out the gate then it could set up a undesired scenario for both the team and fans

hakeem94 and napalm06 like this.
  4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Silly

hajkov and hakeem94 like this.
  5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Didn't they try this in the D league? (Side note they have the option. To review common fouls down there)

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I like this idea .... even if it doesn't stop the worst teams from tanking. I really don't have a solution to tanking ....

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He's joking, just for those who haven't noticed.

8. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Would be cool if it were the case and we just picked the Warriors first. Destroy them early!

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Daryl: Why not give the 1st seed a low 1st rounder because they are so great?

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Bad idea. Teams are gonna get a chip on their shoulder and play extra hard

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Making it a competitive first round.

roslolian likes this.
  12. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Picking the team who you want to play would create unnecessary animosity amongst the teams and give them more billboard material than they need. Expect an extremely chippy series for us. Not a fan. The play in idea, similar to March Madness, is intriguing and may curb tanking just a bit. This all stems from no one wanting to watch EC basketball btw.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The NBA is all about drama though.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Elvis is on a roll this weekend! First the hashtag, then taking ol boy for his shoes in chess now this? We're not worthy!

alethios, hakeem94 and Exiled like this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know if he's joking or not. It's hard to tell sometimes.

When he offered Ryan Anderson an 80 million dollar contract, I thought that was a joke. Turns out he was serious.

16. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I've always liked this idea, it makes playoff seeding even more important (adding more drama to the regular season). To use the inverse of @snowconeman22's example, what if a team (San Antonio) loses their star player (Leonard) for much of the season, drops to the #7 seed, but then has the star player return before the playoffs, forcing the #2 seed (Us or GSW) to play a team far better than #6-#3 (Nuggets, Minny, OKC, Blazers). Of course, top 4 teams should be exempt from being selected in this format. Better teams should have the option of selecting the team that they match up the best with, thats what the regular season determined.

The only problem is that this system would probably benefit the #2 seed far more than the #1 seed. Take this year, the top two seeds in the West are about equals in record and point differential. The 3-8 seeds are very close together, but one team seems to present major problems to the top 2 teams. So the draft happens and the match-up problem team plays the #4 seed, putting it in the same bracket as the #1 seed, while the #2 seed gets to avoid that team until the conference finals, provided they make it there.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

looks like morey's had one too many double stuffed krispy kreme boxes.
    this is why i keep telling him to pass those mofos my way.
    how are his players gonna take him seriously when he has 3 chins and working on a 4th?

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe he's joking and I missed it, but this is what the D-League did, so the NBA clearly was experimenting with that.

It definitely would add another element, just like All-Stars picking their teams, that creates more interest and intrigue. If you picked Team X and they beat you, that's all kinds of embarrassing.

don grahamleone, Deuce and hakeem94 like this.
  19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I sort of like it at first glance. I haven't really thought it over since this is the first mention I've seen of the idea but it would make the seeding much more important which would make the regular season games much more important. It would make the 1 seed so much more valuable and teams would play harder in the regular season trying to gain that advantage. As it is now, the 1 seed gives you home court throughout the playoffs but that advantage (1 seed) that it took 82 games to earn disappears with only one loss on a team's home floor, which is why GS isn't so worried and why they wouldn't too much mind being 2 seed.... Though I do think respect is a factor and that they think too highly of themselves to be #2 at anything. But this change would increase the importance of the seeding exponentially.

Now the seeding only gives a one game home court advantage and that can be wiped away so easily it makes the importance of regular season record, well, not very important.

I'm for about any rule change that would increase the importance of the seeding in order to increase the importance of the 82 games that are played before the playoffs.

20. macan

macan Member

i'm all for some change, will definitely inject new energy to the game. the logistics is gonna be tough for some cross country flight

hakeem94 likes this.