1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

rule/record-keeping question:

Today, Raisel Iglesias went 6.2 innings before allowing another run to score and being pulled. The new pitcher came in. Before throwing a pitch, he tossed the ball over to 3rd to appeal the run that scored--and the runner was ruled out (didn't touch 3rd). Therefore, inning over and that previous run did NOT score.

1) Who gets credit for that 1/3 of an inning "pitched" ? Thus far, they have awarded it to the new pitcher in the box score even though he didn't throw a pitch in that inning.

2) Also, it didn't matter based on how the rest of the game played out.. but, that run was the game-tying run. So the reliever came into a "tied" game. After the appeal, the Reds were in the lead again. Which of the 2 pitchers would have been eligible for the win?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's interesting... I would think you're not allowed to appeal after a pitching change, but I guess there's no rule preventing it (until you throw another pitch).

From my understanding, though... when the old pitcher leaves, he takes the game situation with him (in this case, a tie game... and he pitched what he pitched, and got the outs that he got). If an appeal overturns a call, and its executed by a different pitcher, he then becomes the pitcher of record for both that out, and the run being taken off the board.

Thus, had things stayed the same... the new pitcher would get credit for the win.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Gotcha, I guess I can be on board with that. Feels wrong for the original pitcher to not get credit for an out he actually got while he was on the field, though.

As an alternative version of the issue--if they went to instant replay after a pitching change (probably can't do that by rule), I would hope the out would go to the previous pitcher and not the new one. But based on what you wrote, it sounds like that wouldn't happen either.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He didn't really get the out though... its an out via a technicality when the runner doesn't touch a base, so I have no problem giving that to whoever the pitcher was that appealed it (but again, I didn't realize you could appeal after a pitching change... so it is unique).

Yeah, for base-running issues (not touching a base, tagging up and leaving too early)... the opposing team has to appeal (and I suppose they can go to replay if the appeal is denied).

6. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Jake Arrieta tossed a no-hitter Thursday night in Cincinnati -- his second no-hitter in his past 11 regular-season starts. - Espn

7. ItsMyFault

Arrieta the gawd.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Really early, but Eovaldi has one going in Texas into the 6th

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You got him for Scott freaking Feldman...

10. ItsMyFault

Yeah it's kinda crazy. We also got Pedro Strop who is a solid setup man. I don't know how long Arrieta will keep this up. One thing I do know though is that we have to limit him somewhat this year because he was worn out by October last year.

Baltimore has had a bad reputation for screwing up pitching talent. They've kinda done the same with Gausman to an extent, and he might be another guy that could serve better with another team. Bundy seems like a lost cause, I don't even know if he's any good anymore after all his injuries.

11. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Both Chicago teams are playing great baseball.

Cubs: 15-5
    White Sox : 15-6

Braves are 4-16 trying to get the #1 pick in next year's draft.

12. sew

sew Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dee Gordon receives 80-game ban for PEDs</p>&mdash; Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/725917498873245697">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just saw this.....crazy for a slap hitter to get popped for roids.

14. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Looking at the top 3 HR leaders in whole MLB as of today, interesting names:
    Nolan Arenado- 10 (Rockies)
    Trevor Story - 10 ( Rockies)
    Niel Walker - 9 (Mets)
    Bryce Harper - 9 (Nats)

Cano,Stanton,Donaldson, Rizzo each have 8 HR's.

15. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

The Cubs are playing this season like the Warriors, going for the best regular season in MLB history. They are abusing teams with their run differential, Of course still so much season left.

16. ItsMyFault

We've been fortunate in a lot of ways. Jason Hammel definitely won't last. I do like the top 4 pitching though. I think they'll need to make a trade near the deadline to add another arm, maybe like a #2 or #3 type arm. Bullpen I also think they could use a closer or set-up man.

As crazy as the differential sounds, our bats have been pretty up and down. Aside from Dexter Fowler, no single bat is overachieving. We may have a few underachieving though which are starting to even out now. Heyward hasn't gotten going yet though.

17. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I really don't know much about the rotation besides Arietta & Lester, but their lineup is so young & talented. Fowler is playing really well, Heyward will turn it around. Bryant, Rizzo, few others doing damage.

I know it's way too early but imagine a Cubs/White Sox WS.

18. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Some interesting stats about current MLB Standings.

The Braves are 1-15 @ home, how is that even possible?? are 6-8 on the road.
    The Phillies are 18-14 currently, they were one of the teams picked to finish dead last in MLB.
    The Cubs run diff is +101, next closest is NY Mets (+43).

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cubs are the Warriors.

Best team in baseball and it's not close.

White Sox aren't half bad early on.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The White Sox can't sustain their current pace, but I think the Cubs can. Like the Warriors, it will come down to the team staying healthy.