1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Middle East] US embassy in Israel to be moved from Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 5, 2017.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nice attempt at justifying violence and hate. Like any other country in the world, Israel should have the right to choose its capital. End of story.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean this argument here is pointless because a Palestinian would just say "we have a right to claim our own land and capital(they think east Jerusalem is theirs)".

Exiled likes this.
  3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Exactly what I have been saying for a while. The Germans decided to ef up the world; created this state which has lead to so much instability in the region that continues to this day. The time to say "we lost, we need to move away" just needs to happen. I have heard that it is not that easy though as many are basically trapped in the country.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

They would claim all of Israel if they could.

5. fchowd0311

Okay?

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Cohete Rojo likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That you aren't willing to engage in a debate on it tells me what I need to know.

Exiled and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Manifest Destiny.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Palestinian Authority claims all of Israel and the occupied territories. However, that was not the case when Jordan and Egypt were occupying the West Bank and Gaza. Back then, the Palestinians did not recognize those areas as part of Palestine.

This land dispute is highly contingent on Egypt, Jordan, and Syrian involvement - after-all it was their invasion which lead to the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. The Palestinians already had a state - there was a two-state solution, but Egypt, Jordan, and Syria said "nah, screw that".

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how it could be "occupied" given that no other nation claims ownership of East Jerusalem. At one point Jordan did, but that ended in 1967. Now if a state claims sovereignty over that land, I suppose that conversation could be had, but until then I see no reason why East Jerusalem shouldn't remain under the control of Israel especially if they are willing to maintain and allow access to Muslim holy sites.

Even then, I think we had enough of that split city nonsense with Berlin.

11. fchowd0311

He much Disney pay the NBA. Damn.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

https://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/misc/634kfc.htm

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

14. durvasa

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

16. durvasa

International law does not permit unilateral annexation of territory acquired by force, period. Arguments that the territory doesn’t belong to a sovereign state are irrelevant. The territory, as per the original mandate, is reserved for an eventual Palestinian state. That is enough to make annexation invalid under international law.

Exiled likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"International law" doesn't actually exist for just the reason I suggested.So yeah, there is no Palestinian state and has never been one. Better luck next time

18. durvasa

Reposting, since you failed to see the relevance last time:

https://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/misc/634kfc.htm

East Jerusalem is occupied territory. As such, they do not have the right under international law to claim sovereignty over that territory. The annexation is a flagrant violation of international law, as evidenced by several Security Council resolutions declaring it null and void.

You can’t annex disputed territory without the approval of international bodies. Keeping Jerusalem “undivided” is one thing. There is a good argument for that. But declaring it as your capital while simultaneously pretending that it’s status is TBD (resolving the status being a well recognized precondition to Palestinian statehood) is just ludicrous. The US trying to legitimize Israel’s claim is a huge mistake for furthering the peace process, but of course it’s plainly clear at this point that this is not the concern of the current Israeli-US partnership.

19. durvasa

I’m curious how those numbers shift over time, in particular how it correlates to Israeli expansion/aggression in the Occupied Territories.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The terrorists/Islamists are the aggressor.