1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Memphis Grizzlies to sign James Johnson

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Voice of Aus, Dec 16, 2013.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. what

what Member

The only way his contract is not guaranteed for the rest of the year is if he shows up smoking a crackpipe.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That's a bold statement . . . coming nearly 15 hours AFTER his contract actually became guaranteed! :p

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Nasty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dW5fmquB0qM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

Lets not get crazy now, but he is certainly better than a few guys on the Rockets roster. Too bad that they didn't see that. He would have fit the system too. He is regressing to the mean and his numbers are going back to those consistent with his career up to this point, but no reason to have Brewer and Covington on the team over this guy. Hopefully Covington makes me eat those words one day.

6. KlutchQT

His numbers aren't huge, but his ability to fill every single box on the stat sheet on a regular basis is impressive. Super well-rounded.

7. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Johnson would've been a great addition to our roster. A great jack-of-all-trades type whose best qualities (D and athleticism) are things we're currently lacking.

That said, I think a 2/3 DTA guy would help the most, and Johnson is a 3/4. With the way he's playing, he'd certainly be worthy of taking Casspi's minutes.

8. vator

You're right. It just looked extremely bad at first when he was playing over his head coupled with the fact that he was right under our noses and could have been had for nothing. Now it just looks regular bad if that makes since, considering he would actually be able to probably earn a rotation spot off the bench backing up the 3 and the 4. He would bring something different into the game that none of the other players on the roster really posess. We decided to keep washed up Ronnie Brewer and this Covington guy instead though. Covington better turn out to be a knockdown 3 point shooter because it seems to me like James Johnson is superior to him in just about every other area.

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Marc gasol is back to full training with the grizzles which could reduce his minutes somewhat, but from what I see he is basically impacting Memphis more than prince

10. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Memphis takes overtake us for the 5-7th spot in the playoffs, there's still plenty of season left, and they got Courtney Lee and now a healthy Marc Gasol. Lookout, the Grizzlies out Moreye'd Daryl Morey.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

At our current pace of winning 63% of our games, we would go 27-17 and finish
    51-31.

Seeing as how we are 2-0 against them already, they would need to finish with a better record than us to overtake us.

For the griz to finish 52-30, they would need to finish the season 34-11. Do you really think Lee + Gasol's return + James Johnson will transform a 47% winning percentage to 76% the rest of the way?

Unlikely.

12. vator

James Johnson turns 27 on Feb. 20th. I thought he was younger than that for some reason. This is his 5th year in the NBA. I guess taking that into consideration I can see why he was probably overlooked to some degree. It isn't like he hasn't had any really good games in previous seasons, but obviously there is something amiss here if a guy this talented is already on his 4th team in 5 seasons. Fools gold? Or maybe he finally found the right fit, kind of like the way Rudy Gay has taken off in Sacramento to an ever greater extent.

13. KlutchQT

Oh wow... I thought he was younger than that, too.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The difference about Gay is that this is the first time a team has been able to afford him AND relegate him to the 3rd option on offense (lowest FGA since his rookie year!). We always knew he could shoot and play solid defense, the problem was when he was asked to do too much. Classic case of a player's role being defined by his contract.

When it comes to James Johnson, the dude looks like he has legitimately worked on his game to improve his 3P%, FT% while maintaining his defensive tenacity. I'm afraid, at 27, he is very close to his ceiling but should get a nice payday this summer.

I'll be watching closely how he matches up with Durant on Tuesday. If he keeps this up, I'm thinking 3yrs $9mill with a team option for the last year?

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Yeah, Johnson seems to have the type of size and athleticism that will bother a guy like Durant. His game reminds me of Andrei Kirilenko in his prime. A wing defender and shot blocker who can defend multiple positions.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He looked good against us last night.

DD

17. chandlerbang21

Mchale benched casspi And had Beverly guarding him last night lol

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He's better than Garcia.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

dont understand why didnt cut brewer for him.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We'll have to see if his expiring nets us anything next month before concluding it was a mistake, but I feel your pain there.