1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA: "Most of time adjustments are overblown. You just say 'Play Harder'"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 2, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

pts + (assistsx2) + rebounds / turnovers

Steve Nash (2006/2007 only) 11.92 good things per turnover

James Harden 10.38 good things per turnover

Westbrook 11.57 good things per turnover

LeBron 12.24 good things per turnover

I included rebounds because a lot of turnovers are a result of rebounding the ball. Shot percentage is not part of this either. Clearly Harden is not at some elite level of taking care of the ball, but I didn't weigh in the value of a 3pter, but it gives you a bit of a gauge. He should still probably take care of it a little better though. Not much better, but definitely better.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

That really doesn't help you understand the effect of the offense. You try to get up uncontested shots, so extra possessions are not as important as being more efficient than your opponent. Your extra efficiency over a bunch of possessions is the recipe for victory. So points-per-possession comparisons are more important overall.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Harden's TO's are way overblown by a select few fans and one annoying as hell troll (looking at you joomba). When it comes to turnovers, you have to look at more than the raw number:

- Turnover ratio: How many assists does he get before turning the ball over once? How does that compare to other PG's?
    - Usage: How many of the team's plays go through Harden? How heavy does his TO's weigh compare to his usage?
    - Team turnovers: With Harden included, how many TO's does the team have? If it's less than the other team, I can easily live with that.
    - Situation: In what circumstances did the turnovers happen? If it's a high risk, high reward full court outlet pass, I am fine with that. If it's late game in crunch time, I will probably be a bit frustrated.

I always laugh when people talk about Nash and LBJ. Nash had Johnson, Stoudamire, Marion, and Barbosa. LBJ had Wade and Bosh, now Irving and Love. We have Gordon and had Howard. There is no comparison.

#83 chenjy9, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. don grahamleone

Good analogy, I think. You are saying that Harden has lots of skills like the queen piece does, right?

TheMystery008 likes this.
  5. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Harden answering a question about his turnovers after the Toronto game:

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

good advanced bullshit stats. a near 30/12 on 5-6 tos when your team is top 5 is as efficient as u can get. westbrook's the only one of the 3 who has the same numbers as harden.

tell lebron to do the same he'd prolly do as good if not better. nash will do worse.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

obligatore
    [​IMG]

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Turnovers are important. But individual turnover numbers are overrated, just as individual rebounding numbers are overrated.

We lost an elite rebounder in Dwight but we are a much rebounding team than last season. Turnover is the same. It's team turnover that's the key. Not one individual player's number.

9. don grahamleone

Anybody ever tell you, you take things too seriously? I'm not a random Harden hater who can't stand him because of some turnovers. Those are a limited few, I can assure you, and fewer of them are actually Rockets fans. I'm just repeating what I've already heard Harden say about himself. And I wasn't banging on some drum while I did it. I'm a Rockets lover, not a fighter. Fight someone else.

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

well first of all, when i say bullshti it doesnt mean im mad. thats just me talking. i didnt know what to make of your "stats", i just saw them random as hell

11. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Yup, take him out and we would need to rely on close to perfect execution in order to win.

#91 TheMystery008, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    don grahamleone likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Great analogy indeed , but i didnt get it until you pointed it out!

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Our interior defense was terrible during that Knicks run at the beginning. Clint looked like he was half out of it, not even noticing open cutters or guys standing at the basket. Particularly alarming that this happened with Tucker playing instead of Anderson.

Defense picked up more when CP came in. And Gordon added a spark. It's weird how I hardly ever notice Luc, even though the stats show he's clearly making a huge difference.

BigMaloe, D-rock and saleem like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ryan Anderson was the spark. EG struggled a little bit.

heypartner and RedRedemption like this.
  16. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

COY

Or should I say, look at MDA being all COY.

#96 seeingredtx, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    hakeem94 likes this.
  17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Might as well take all good and bad things to account

Total Points produced (account 2s and threes), rebounds steals, turnovers, missed shots

That would be PER

Harden is pretty much tied with cp3 considering cp3 has only played 4 or 5 games 25 mins per game

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

of course he wasn't a spark, hes the glue guy and/or x factor

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Ryan Anderson looked like a superstar out there. It's like he grew balls overnight.

I want him to play more like EG. Just shoot, put up shots. You are probably the best pure shooter on the team, it infuriates me when he passes up open looks. EG will take contested threes all day even if he's 1-10. We're playing the long game, doesn't matter if you have a cold night, just don't have a cold season.

20. hakeemthagreat

Idk about overblown. He played with fire having Ryno guard Beasley last nite. That couldve potentially cost us the game. Adjustments are EVERYTHING when the shots arent falling