1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHugh

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaChamp, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not this version...

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree with this.

Seen a few articles over the weekend mentioning McHugh having trouble locating his fastball to the glove side of the plate, and that this has caused him to become incredibly predictable in pitch sequencing as he's been abandoning his fastball. IIRC, McHugh had mentioned the glove side fastball command earlier in the season when he was mowing people down.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Now...if only he had come in with the bases loaded and struck out the first two hitters and made a nice stab of the line drive to get out of the inning rather than loading the bases himself. :)

4. Buck Turgidson

McHugh throwing very good pitches tonight out of the pen, regardless of the competition.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He has been unhittable since Strom made that mound visit with the bases loaded and no outs. :)

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

The Shane Reynolds of this era signs with Red Sox. Get him an Astros HOF plaque.

Nook and msn like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Buck Turgidson

I will always love that guy. Much respect, hope his arm stays healthy.

kaleidosky and Killatron 2000 like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...eams-pitchers-werent-brave-amid-sign-stealing

Boston Red Sox pitcher Collin McHugh, who was part of the 2017 Houston Astros team at the center of the sign-stealing scandal, said he and other pitchers wish they had done more to stop their teammates from cheating.

"You've got to be willing to stick up for what you believe in and what you believe is right and what you believe is wrong," McHugh told reporters Friday. "And I think a lot of the guys on that team, including myself, are looking back now and wishing we had been as brave in the moment as we thought we were beforehand."

The Red Sox signed McHugh to a one-year contract Thursday, ending his six-year run in Houston. Major League Baseball concluded its investigation into the Astros in January, with findings showing the team used video cameras to capture signs from opposing teams and help hitters know when an off-speed pitch was coming.

Manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow were fired in the aftermath of the scandal after being given one-year suspensions by the league. Astros players were granted immunity in exchange for their cooperation.

"To put myself in the shoes of the guys who pitched against us in 2017 and to know that our hitters made that job that much harder that year—it's hard to swallow. And I feel for them and I understand the anger and I understand when people are mad and pissed off," McHugh said. "I get it. I've been there. I know what it feels like to be out there and feel like a team has your signs. It's a lonely place."

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Crickets when he was a FA.

AstrosRockets1818 and lw17 like this.
  12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Probably part of his contract to say something negative and apologetic about the scandal just so fans can then say OK we can cheer for him

lw17 likes this.
  13. edwardc

edwardc Member

He is such a coward.

everyday eddie and lw17 like this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

what? Collin is a stand up guy and always has been.

15. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

He could've said no comment. I'm not sure any ex-Astro has been completely non-committal about it. I guess what happens in the clubhouse doesn't always stay in the clubhouse. Still a big fan of his though.

lw17 likes this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m not sure why these guys don’t go the Keuchel route. Sorry we did it but guess what, lot’s of teams are.

mikol13, everyday eddie and marks0223 like this.
  17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Especially in his case considering he signed with the team currently under investigation.

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

the “no comment” route would’ve gotten blown up by nat’l media. The only people still talking about McHugh’s response are Astros fans on this board. I thought he had a pretty standard/stand-up comment on it. Wish him nothing but the best in BOS.

msn likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Maybe he doesn't believe that.

20. msn

msn Member

Or maybe he believes it's no excuse.

raining threes and Major like this.