1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mayor Pete Can't Get Black Support Is Lazy Liberal Media White Guilt

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Feb 8, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So Mayor Pete was asked about mar1juana arrests in South Bend during his term. He was pressed after saying all arrests went down. Then he gave a very sufficient honest answer about the arrests having to do with an overall initiative of stopping gang violence through targeting those arrests and spotlighting those criminals and going after anything could to get off them off the street. This apparently didn't satisfy the moderator..

There are several issues here. The media is lazy overall. They push whatever narrative they feel is becomes substantive and it really doesn't what a person in the narrative does or says. So this is a problem that is bigger than race. In Buttigieg's candidacy he is running into another liberal media issue. Anything blacks say about racism must be believed because the media apparently feels that this is one way America can make up for its past racial sins. Nobody challenges whatever happened in South Bend with and the police chief. The liberal media now automatically takes the black side. The media just reports black South Bend residents didn't like the police chief situation, they must have been wronged.

There is no candidate left other than Biden because of Obama, who has a rapport with blacks. So why are they saying Buttigieg can't get the black vote. Its not he can't (which saying so is a problem in of itself), but who can? Its part of the lazy narrative creation. Buttigieg has tried to be magnanimous about the police chief situation. Whatever happened, a chief he didn't select was under federal investigation. So if he was not fair, he still had reason. Regardless it was a local issue. Buttiigieg has never been accused of using racial slurs, being discriminatory, etc. He has no cause to have a problem with blacks nationally than any other candidate. But if the media can put a race spin in the story of blacks being somehow victimized, they are going to go for the gold in that story because i guess they think it helps ease the pain of the past.

#1 pgabriel, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Major and B@ffled like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Arrests for mar1juana possession are bs
    Arrests for mar1juana possession obstensively as a "key initiative" to stop violent crimes is even more bs

[​IMG]

and btw, I can call that bs without it having anything to do with race

And the biggest bs is to have a President who actually believes fighting mar1juana possession is a plan to stop violent crimes. Are we in the '80s? Bring on the mar1juana Czar!

I know your post is more than just media narratives on mar1juana possession initiatives of Pete, but I have zero problem with him having to answer that question. zero. You're in the Big game now Pete, and your answer was bs

[​IMG]

#2 heypartner, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There’s always self fulfilling prophecy that the MSM projects and feeds on a loop until it becomes reality in the minds of voters.

Most blatant MSM false narrative: “The economy is doing great under Trump”.

With Mayor Pete yes there are some reasons why from the beginning he had trouble gaining support with the black community. There was an issue in South Bend with the police chief. There is the issue of older black evangelical Democrats who believe being gay is an abomination in the Bible. There are issues Pete has yes....

But those issues pale in comparison to media narrative. I think the op might be indirectly getting to this conclusion with the mar1juana thing.

jiggyfly and joshuaao like this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The mar1juana arrests are of people suspected of gang violence. Its an effort targeting gang violence, not mar1juana.

A suspected gang member needs to be removed from the community by any means law enforcement has.

I smoke mar1juana, i wouldn't support targeting mar1juana. Its federal legalization is long overdue

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Again Bernie's civil rights activism gives him rapport with African Americans. This man was fighting against segregation and police brutality in the '60s.

[​IMG]

A picture is worth a thousand words. Ask yourself why a poor Jewish boy from Brooklyn, a college student, chose to chain himself to black people in the dirt, getting himself arrested. This shows where Bernie's heart is, this not only shows how much he cares, but that he has always been, and will always be fighting for African Americans.

To me, this shows more than anything Biden has done.

Roxfreak724 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro, its great story that no one knows about. Im glad you have educated me on it, but black people dont know about this.

Now if it comes to a race between them, and the electorate outside of blacks is evenly divided, it could push Sanders over the top. But there are of variables involved before the primary would get to that situation

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@ThatBoyNick

Buttigieg wasn't thought of in the 60s

The sixties are long over and race issues are now more complicated than good vs evil

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

A young Bernie Sanders being held back by cops after almost beating a black woman to death

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This issue would push Sanders over the top. Sanders stance on weed right now is that he'd make it legal. Since blacks are disproportionately arrested for weed despite using it at the same rates, having it be legal would be a pretty huge relief.

pgabriel likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I dont disagree with any of this other than weed hurting blacks is more of an income issue. A lawyer would crush a consumption amount weed case. Weed cases hurt poor people as blemishes on record

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The narrative is not without merit.

Buttigieg was a no-name backbencher a week ago who just got thrusted to the front of a national conversation because he did really well in rural parts of a predominantly white state where he staked all his money.

Meanwhile, tracking has continuously shown Buttigieg polling absolutely abysmal among black voters.

Now Buttigieg has 2 weeks before South Carolina to work a miracle with black voter by introducing himself and then trying to win them over, which is going to require a lot of money that he also doesn’t have.

Is it unfair?

Yeah absolutely, but that is the path Buttigieg chose when he ran for the moderate center lane where Biden is already parked with his self-claimed massive support among black voters. In fact, that may be the only thing Biden has going for himself right now.

Now as for the mar1juana question, it’s a fair ask from someone who wants to be considered a front runner. However, Pete’s shifty dodge followed by an incoherent response upon further pressing by a black reporter, was not only bad optics, but also bad policy.

As many have already pointed out, Buttigieg’s policy reeks of 1980’s War on Drugs nonsense. This sort of thing may be passable coming from someone like Biden who keeps rewriting his past, but it doesn’t work for fresh-faced Buttigieg who insists on the value of his judgement over everyone else’s experience in government.

Like I said, the narrative is not without merit.

#11 ghettocheeze, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    baller4life315 and joshuaao like this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He can't even deal with the race issues in his own town. It's not surprising he has little support.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

How to get black support.

No one:

Literally no one:

DNC: HOT SAUCE!

Astrodome likes this.
  14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Pete is a young candidate without the years of experience of his competitors. In his time as mayor, Pete wasn’t able to effectively combat several systemic racial issues within his city, though not for the lack of trying.

Pete has to go above and beyond in answering difficult questions on race because he doesn’t have a significant enough resume to fall back on. The pitfall off being a major candidate at such a young age.

You can read about the mar1juana
    Arrest statistics in South Bend here
    . There’s a trend down across race in arrests from 2012-2017 and then a huge spike in 2018. Pete had trouble articulating why this spike occurred in the first place.

Pete is still my candidate and I feel like this narrative has been overemphasized a bit, but I do think he should be challenged on this in the primary.

jiggyfly and pgabriel like this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thank you. It would be interesting to see why arrests went up like that in 2018. Other than that, arrests for everyone was going down . So it seems like the mar1juana issue is nitpicking or trying to find something. How did that even become a subject? Its a totally random made up metric to analyze his policies towards the black community

#15 pgabriel, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Literally made me laugh at loud.

Nook likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sold on Buttigieg. I like a lot of what he says but his lack of experience is a real concern. His record has mayor is and should be fair game too. I think this policy of using mar1juana arrest to target gang members should be an issue of discussion. The same thing with Stop and Frisk regarding Bloomberg and he rightfully is being questioned on it.

All of that said does anyone seriously think that Buttigieg, Bloomberg or anyone running for the Democratic nomination is a racist? I understand that the MSM will amplify differences and if we are to judge these candidates we need to be aware of the differences, these differences though are are marginal when compared to what is on the other side.

jiggyfly, pgabriel and joshuaao like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No but in terms of gaining the nomination it's hard to see Buttigieg overcoming his record.

It's not only that he fired a black police chief and the mar1juana arrests - it's his lack of effort to even engage black leaders in South Bend. His famous comment at en event to black voters there was, "I am not asking for your vote" when they criticized him. It's hard to see someone that callous who makes such gross political miscalculations as lasting as a front runner.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was just thinking about how the two mayors running are having the most problems with race. Again I don't think seriously that either Buttigieg or Bloomberg are racist but there is a very strong argument that their anti-crime policies were racially based. Klobuchar as a former prosecutor is also having a bit of a race issue regarding the prosecuting the murderer of a little girl on what is questionable evidence. When Harris was running she also had racial questions raised regarding her prosecutions. I'm wondering if given the history and nature of this country if these issues are unavoidable for people like mayors and prosecutors who are dealing directly with issues of crime whereas people who have primarily been in Congress have been removed from this.

If it's not that these people are racist but that lingering issues of race in our culture make it unavoidable.

Nook likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who do you think will win the nomination then? Biden?