1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Max Kellerman] Hakeem needed Jordan to retire to win 2 rings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 13, 2018.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Too bad we couldn't get past the Sonics in 1996 or the Jazz in 1997 and 1998. :(

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

goat

mikol13 likes this.
  3. HookemHorns1250

I mean, people certainly have the right to believe we never would have won if Jordan stayed. He is the greatest to ever play.

However... my problem with all of it, is the fact that people blindly speak as if we would have had -0- chance. If you want to argue that it would have been a great series, but the Bulls would have ultimately won, I certainly won’t just brush that away as nonsense. However, to act as if it was going to be no contest... is just absurd, and shows a lack of basketball knowledge, and just not understanding how truly dominant the Dream was at that time.

mathor, D-rock and Houstunna like this.
  4. smp

smp Member

Who cares. We were the best those 2 years. The Rockets have two championships and there’s nothing anyone can say or do about it. There’s nothing to vote on. There’s nothing to validate. There’s nothing to discuss.

I really don’t understand why people care about what someone else says. Those championships mean something to me and I don’t give a **** what it means to some jackass on TV.

I don’t even know who that guy is but I do know his opinion only matters if you let it.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

You mean the team the rockets swept in the finals that Jordan lost to in the ECF? Ok...

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's furthering the lie that Jordan wasn't there for two years, when he clearly was there in the playoffs getting beat by Orlando

This is one of the worst lies in human history, if I were an alien race I wouldn't trust humans because of this

7. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Does Max really need another thread?

tinman likes this.
  8. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

by that logic, every other championship that Jordan didn't win (except in his early years) would be more or less suspect.

"needed Jordan to get too old"
    "needed Jordan to not be born yet"

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  9. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Never understood this, and more so specifically why was Houston the team to win back to back and no other team during MJ's first retirement?

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

And it was such a choke job , MJ had 8 points lead with 3 minutes to go then he turned on choker mode and he and his team didnt score a single point to the end

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  11. jayfree

jayfree Member

"He says Michael Jordan told him "you know it's a good thing these guys can't get out of the west." and the reporter asked "WHY?" and Jordan's response was (regarding Hakeem)... - "WE'VE GOT NO ANSWER FOR THAT BIG MONSTER.""

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It looked like he was gassed out...

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yeah, everyone thinks it was the ECF, but it was the semis. After the Bulls, the Magic had to beat the Pacers with Reggie, Mark Jackson, McKey, Smits, and the Davis boys. I think the Bulls lose to them as well because that year they had nobody in the front court.

These were the C-PF players on that roster for the season:

Corie Blount
    Greg Foster
    Larry Krystkowiak
    Luc Longley
    Will Perdue
    Dickey Simpkins
    Bill Wennington

Not exactly a group that strikes fear in the heart of the Dream. In the playoffs, they went without Simpkins, Foster, and Larry K, so you had this:

Corie Blount
    Luc Longley
    Will Perdue
    Bill Wennington

Those guys combined for the following playoff stats: 15.2 ppg and 11.4 rpg. For contrast, Dream by himself went for 33/10 that year in the playoffs, Horry went 13/7, plus we had Chucky and Charles Jones. The Bulls played Kukoc at the 4 most of the time with a little help from Jud Buechler. Pippen was their leading rebounder, Jordan by far was the leader in blocks.

Bulls had nobody--NOBODY--that could guard Smits and bang with the Davis boys, much less Shaq and Grant or Dream.

The year before they did have Grant, but we had OT. We win that battle.

In sum, people conveniently forget how the Bulls frontline was weak in 94 and just flat out trash in 95. Dream would have fouled out the three centers, Kukoc, and Pippen by the 3Q.

SLRokJok and tinman like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers defending Clutch City, we're the Black Panther of Clutchkanda

What amazes me about Dream is that dude never got tired, even with 4 dudes fouling the crap out of him . From the beginning to the end of the game, Dream was athletically in the best shape of anyone on the court.

The heart this guy had is not comparable

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

Yup, the only reason why Hakeem went down was because his heart wasn't in it anymore

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Well, there was decline the year we got Barkley, Dream then got nagging injuries and got old.
    Father Time wins.

17. jayfree

jayfree Member

That's what I mean, heart arrhythmia

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Michael Jordan had and has more respect for Hakeem Olajuwon than nearly all sports journalists and talking heads.

tinman likes this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He doesn't deserve to be called Max Kellerman. He should be renamed Rookie Minimum Kellerman instead.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

looked more like a concussion to me