1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Matress in a Box. Which brand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smokieethabear, Mar 10, 2019.

?

Which Brand?

1. Casper

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Purple

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Nectar

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Cocoon by Sealy

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Leesa

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. Other

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

I have both Casper and Brooklyn bedding (medium). I prefer Brooklyn bedding. Casper isn't bad but I like the feel of Brooklyn bedding because it doesn't sink as much as Casper (i.e. It's more firmer than Casper).

NateNate likes this.
  2. icrnk

icrnk Member

I ended up looking for more natural mattress options without the off gassing worry.

I bought one of these but it is kinda firm so if you prefer softer add a natural latex topper to it. You can find some on Amazon.
    https://www.mygreenmattress.com/products/pure-echo-natural-mattress-1?variant=4355286630427

3. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Recently got the Nest Hybrid. It’s pretty great so far. Firmer than expected but really comfortable.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bump,

so it's worth it? I'm thinking casper vs purple

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I bought a nectar a few months ago. It’s decent. Firmer than I expected but you get a little sink after lying in it. Probably significantly more if you’re a big guy. Anyways I called to initiate a return because I wanted to go a different direction. They offered me $300 to keep it so I did.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

If you find a box in your mattress, it's likely money or cocaine.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Glad you posted this. A guy ran a red light several years ago and damn near killed me. Back surgery didn’t go well, and I’ve tried different mattresses over the years. When we wear out the one we have now, I think I’ll get one of these. The tilt feature sounds great, besides the adjustable mattress. I can think of some kinky things the SO and I could do with a mattress like that. ;-)

LonghornFan likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Tuft & Needle abides in our house.

donkeypunch likes this.
  9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bed in a box... pff. Do it 70's style, when you bought a bed in a store and couldn't use it until you found a garden hose.

(Bonus Scientology ad at the end)

ROCKSS, donkeypunch and tmoney1101 like this.
  11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I bought an Amazon Rivet brand mattress for $400 that is basically a knock off of the Purple, etc. brands. It’s pretty firm memory foam but really comfortable.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I really do think the bed business in America is such a sham. Selling layers of foam for such a high margin is capitalism at it's finest.

I had a guest bed that was running a little wiry and springy, so instead of buying a new mattress, I bought a 3 inch foam topper that was slotted for breathability instead of just a cut piece of foam for 100 bucks from Sears. When I tested I liked it better than the posturpedic pillow top I was sleeping on. So after a a few years when my bed wore down, I just bought another one of these toppers and put it on mine. Sleep great. Perfectly firm and soft enough for my needs.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I read it was soft, so it's firm?

how long have you had it?

14. likestohypeguy

Low end budget foam mattresses have come a long way lately. 15 years ago, unless you spent thousands on a tempurpedic, if you got a $500 memory foam mattress, it'd be okay for the first few nights, until you create a divot where support deteriorates, and your butt hammocks down, can result in back pain. Would have to move to a new spot and let the sunken foam recover.

The only way I could afford a serviceable mattress until lately was modding a used temperpedic by ripping out its innersprings, replacing its shot comfort foam layers with latex & mf, and recasing it. Been through a few of those, hit and miss, hackey, and a lot of work.

Now, even the cheapest mf formulas can be much much closer to the same as the premium brands use- 2 years ago for the first time in over 10 years I tried a budget mf mattress again, and it has been amazing. Resilient, the foam always recovers; supportive, no hammocking that causes lower back pain; conforming so you don't wake up with tingling/numbness where circulation can be impeded, and super cheap. This was a 12" zinus for $220 on an Amazon sale. Any of the big box stores MF in a box would be a safe bet these days though. Make sure excellent return policy, because the quality control, consistency is still going to be higher with higher tier brands, in case you get an off example.

But Thekey now is, more so than brand, finding the right balance between how much support you need vs. what degree of conformance in comfort layers.

BTW can't directly recommend any mattress b/c so personal and preferences vary so much, but with this last zinus I also got their elite heavy duty frame, and am even more impressed with it. Low profile yet rock solid. If you're light weight, the regular version is good too.

Andre0087 likes this.
  15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Not sure about Purple, but I've liked the Casper when I slept on it. I'll strongly consider a Casper for my next mattress purchase - that said, I live in NY and getting a standard mattress sounds like a pain.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I’ve had it 2 months. It’s definitely more on the firm side for memory foam from what I’ve tried in the past. The only complaint is that it absorbs body heat so can get a little warm, but I keep my place pretty cold so not an issue for me.

tinman likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

There’s a big sale on Casper and cocoon by sealy
    Also heard purple is good

bobloblaw likes this.
  18. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I just got a Nest Hybrid Flippable. First thought is the firm side is pretty damn firm. I'm going to flip it and give what I hope is a softer side a try. Other than that the quality seems to be there and I'm thinking it might end up in the guestroom. I've only had it for day so my opinion on it may change. Going to give it some time to see If I adjust to it.

19. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Calling that a purple knock off seems like a big reach.

A friend of mine has a purple2 and she doesn't like it. Says you can feel a slight jiggle when you move. It's not much but you are aware it's happening when you are trying to sleep. She is a petite girl so that may have something to do with it. I haven't tried it myself...feel kind of weird asking her if can give her bed a try.

#39 Blatz, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I put my money and apocalypse seeds under my mattress. It gives a much needed firmness.