1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matress in a Box. Which brand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smokieethabear, Mar 10, 2019.

?

Which Brand?

1. Casper

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Purple

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Nectar

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Cocoon by Sealy

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Leesa

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. Other

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. smokieethabear

For those who have purchased those online mattresses in a box. Most all give a fairly good trial period. Which brand did you buy? Why? Any pros/cons? What position do you or your partner sleep?

We're looking to buy a new mattress for our guest bedroom. Sometimes I use it for daytime naps if I get the opportunity.

theimpossibles1 and ryan_98 like this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

edit...it isn't showing the link for some reason

Sweetnight 10 Inch King Mattress In a Box - Sleep Cooler with Euro Pillow Top Gel Memory Foam, Individually Pocket Spring Hybrid Mattresses for Motion Isolation, CertiPUR-US Certified, King Size

I got that Sweetnight mattress from Amazon for my guest bedroom and it's pretty good. No real complaints about it at all.

smokieethabear likes this.
  3. NateNate

NateNate Member

Bought one last April and went with the Brooklyn bedding signature hybrid mattress. Bought this one because i did my fair share of research/reviews on all the brands and this one caught my eye more or less for the construction and positive feedback, it’s also mid priced IIRC.

It’s memory foam but also has springs so it doesn’t have that 100% memory foam feeling. Even with that, there was a slight adjustment on my part because it had a very slight sinking feeling (memory foam duh) as oppose to feeling like you were sleeping on top of the mattress which is what I was used to (if that makes sense). It didn’t take me anytime to get completely adjusted so I love the mattress. It also came with 2 great memory foam pillows and a sheet set.

I’m a side sleeper mainly but sometimes I’ll crash on my back. We bought the medium firmness which is supposedly their best seller. I’m about 170lbs and the firmness feels like a sweet spot for me if that helps.

https://www.brooklynbedding.com/products/mattresses/brooklyn-signature/

csnerd84 likes this.
  4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I was thinking about starting a thread just like this. Out of all the beds I've been reading about about I'm leaning towards the DreamCloud mattress but I really don't know. I'm mainly a side sleeper so I'm looking for more of a softer mattress but I don't want to sacrifice too much support for the softness.
    https://www.dreamcloudsleep.com/

I've seen Better Homes and Garden has a 14" Hybrid I'm a little curious about but I'm scared of it because I can't believe Walmart sales a really good quality mattress and an odd cousin of my mine recommends it.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bh-Eleme...g-Hybrid-Eurotop-Mattress-Queen-Size/55143726
    I can also see returning it if you don't like being a nightmare.

#4 Blatz, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  5. smokieethabear

Thanks for the input guys.

6. Blatz

7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

rockbox likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My only feedback would be not to buy a boxspring from these mail order guys. Obviously, you can't roll up a boxspring and mail it, you have to send it in pieces with assembly instructions. Just go to Costco and buy one that's already assembled. Would cost about the same, no assembly required, and probably better construction.

BleedsRocketRed and Blatz like this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ahhh nice. I may do that. I’ve had a bunk/desk setup for my son. The mattress came from ikea and was the midpriced option if I remember right. But it is a POS and needs to be replaced after a few years of him sleeping on it.

10. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Yeah, I compared the price to IKEA, and this was a better option overall (both price and quality IMO). I have a queen size IKEA mattress in the guest bedroom that I've had for about 4 years, and it's already gone to crap. Never again

11. smokieethabear

Thanks for all the suggestions. Decided to go w/ Nectar. Got a buddy who has one and swears its awesome. Research has shown good stuff. Pricing was fair compared to Purple and Casper, and they have a 1 yr trial period. I'll be sure to post my thoughts after using it.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I bought a Tuft n Needle on sale because it was supposed to be the firmest and a value answer for people with back problems. It sinks a little after 5 hrs

Casper is on sale at Costco https://slickdeals.net/f/12903388-casper-mattress-costco-members-only?

Seems like Nectar is a great choice for trying the bed out.
    https://www.nestmaven.com/mattress/nectar-vs-tuft-and-needle/

13. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Sounds like you've already made your choice, but for anyone else who stumbles on this thread: wife and I got a King sized Casper mattress about 3 and a half years ago, right when these starting getting popular, and we still love it. We were a little nervous at the time, because there was no real data on how well they held up over time, but I have no complaints at all. We like a softer sleep and got them to throw in a pillow top mattress topper for free (not sure if they still do that) and it's been great. I'd definitely recommend it.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I got a Lessa 4 years ago and i love it. I did buy a memory foam topper though so it just made the whole thing the best bed I've ever owned.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Copy and pasted this post of mine from the Astros forum when someone asked why they would spend so much money on a bed and aksed about the bed in a box or buying from the places online. Stay away from Wink Beds- total trash. Also, at that time there were really only 3-5 online retailers for these beds. Now they seem very popular and are probably much better quality. Just stay away from a Wink!

When I moved after the big D, I took a brand new bed we just purchased with me but it was way too soft and I needed something much more firm. I started reading the Sleep Sherpa's Blogs as these beds were starting to grow in popularity. I ended up buying a King Winkbed due to the review below.

https://sleepsherpa.com/winkbeds-mattress-review-the-best-of-both-worlds/

For the first 3 months it was great, very large and firm. After that it went to **** and sunk in the middle pretty quickly. I kept it for another 2 years for some reason and slept on the couch most of the time. I finally got fed up with it and ordered a Sleep Number after sleeping on one at a friends house in their guest room a few months ago. They had the basic one but with a nice mattress pad and I had one of the best nights of sleep in a long time.

I now own a Sleep Number 360 i10 bed with adjustable base and I honestly think it was the best $6000 I have ever spent. It's basically the perfect bed and I never want to leave it. I wake up so much more refreshed and am not falling asleep at my desk at all any longer. Adjustable settings are the bomb. Back ache? Push the button and air it up to Sleep firm. Nice back and want comfort? Unleash the air down to 35 and it feels like you're sleeping in a cloud. Raining outside and nothing to do but Netlfix? Tilt her up and become the best Sloth one can be. If it were allowed I would marry this thing.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Btw, I had to let the thing breathe for a week before it stopped stinking and out gassing. Should prob do that if you're gonna lie on top of it for hours and hours.

Filled up fine overnight

17. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

As an important side note, I have concluded (and my acquaintances confirm) that this "cooling gel layer" stuff is the biggest bunch of BS ever, no matter the manufacturer. So I would not make a buying decision based on that.

LonghornFan likes this.
  18. Blatz

Ending up with a quick sag in the mattress is my main concern with these beds in a box.
    I'm considering a sleep number too. How long have you had the sleep number and what kind of mattress pad did you put on it? Has the pump ever broke down?

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I've slept on a Casper at a friends place. No complaints.

20. smokieethabear

My master bedroom mattress is a Tempurpedic, don't remember the exact model but I absolutely love it, wouldn't go back to anything else However, didn't want to spend as much on a guest room that occasionally gets used. Therefore I decided to go with the Next since it was a little cheaper than the Casper and Purple.