1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Match Fixing in European Soccer?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jontro, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1326556/investigation-unveils-scale-of-match-fixing?cc=4716
    Any ideas on which teams, officials, or players participated? This reminds me of the England v Germany World Cup tie.

Somehow I know Sepp Blatter will do all he can to hinder any progress in this investigation.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I doubt that many, if any, star players will be involved. Some referees - yes, definitely. And I think we will mostly be looking at players with connections to Eastern Europe. Very curious to find out some names.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

True. Any profits they would make would be diminished by the cost of bribing star players. So that's out of the question.

I also think the Italians are holding their breaths. I wonder if these fixings are for high profile matches, though if what you say is true with ties to Eastern Europe, then probably not.

I'm most curious about the World Cup fixtures though. Because all of their games (with the exception of North Korea lulz) are high profile.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agreed, Italy is probably involved - historically, there have been issues there. Could be some teams/referees from almost all countries. Scary and annoying.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

When you look at the shear number of professional teams in Europe and in the entire world, odds are you're going to get some shady people involved.

I swear...if we have to go through another World Cup having to constantly hear how the Italian team is "persevering" despite yet another cheating scandal in their leagues, I'm not going to watch.

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I still will.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The wording of that sentence isn't 100% clear but I think they were just world cup qualifiers.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Indian bookmakers have become a high-profile problem in international sports in the last 15 or so years. They're bankrolled by very wealthy and powerful individuals.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yeah...I will, too.

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm 100% sure this match was one of them and I'm sure Ajax fans would agree.

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2011/...a-wink-video-gomis-2011-champions-league-1-7/

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dc4tJbbamks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9N1jFhc5Gm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

So in Soccer you just bet against the public?

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

OK so now Liverpool is being investigated for CL match they participated in? If true, it's not even their fault. Article said Debrecen goalie was told to let in 3 goals against LFC, but he only let 1 in. Looks like he didn't accept the bribe, but Pool still won anyway. Don't know why they're investigating Pool. This Suarez hate is getting out of hand.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1327163/liverpool-game-allegedly-under-match-fixing-investigation?cc=4716

13. mirus

mirus Member

There's no direct mentioning on FIFA will investigate Liverpool:confused:

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

^^I misread that article. I got defensive and thought they were investigating LFC, but they're actually investigating the other team.

I don't think FIFA is investigating, but rather Europol is. First time ever hearing about them when I read the first article.