1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Massive explosion in Lebanon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sealclubber1016, Aug 4, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That is ****ing insane.

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Incredible. If anyone has ever wondered what a nuclear blast hitting a major city would be like, multiply this by more than I can wrap my head around and I can imagine a lot. How much suffering must Lebanon and the Lebanese people endure?

malakas and KingCheetah like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

After the West explosion (200 tons) 1300+ storage sites were found across the US and most were lightly regulated/ inspected -- imagine worldwide.

malakas likes this.
  4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

RIP and condolences to those affected. It seems like cost saving measures and negligence are to blame.

5. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I thought you were some sort of redneck conservative that think places like Lebanon should be glass parking lots with all if any oil extracted. I'm so very wrong, my apologies.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I would put even odds on bribery/corruption in this case.

7. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

It could possibly create a tsunami in the Mediterranean Sea.

8. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

No need bro, we conservatives have thick skin and thicker skulls:). I’ve traveled 7 corners of the globe and have made many friends in the process.

BabyClutch, B-Bob and TWS1986 like this.
  9. KingCheetah

That stuff wasn't just sitting there taking up space -- someone was selling it off for farming/ etc. it's around a $500-1000 per ton.

malakas likes this.
  10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

It was hazardly stored to save $$$$$.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You notice how every Lebanese person knows exactly how to act when infrastructure collapses and explodes? That's how bad life has been for Lebanese people.

I went to a Lebanese school back in the day so I have Lebanese friends and have even visited a few times for partying and skiing. Lebanese people generally just wanna have fun and do their job, extremely friendly people (especially the ones that are in Lebanon). Unfortunately, it's like everyone who grew up there has mild to high PTSD from childhood. If they didn't experience that stuff, then they watched their parents suffer with it.

I've been to 50 something cities on this planet and Beirut is in my top 5 cities to party in. Great food, great skiing, great beach. Such a shame what the country's been through.

Unluckiest place in the world I've always called it. This all happens because they happen to be next to something which someone wants to own. Humans are ridiculous. Every foreign country says they're there to help the Lebanese. What the Lebanese really need is for everyone to go home, as is always the case in the Middle East. Tired old story that everyone's sick of. They have to listen to 3 people from across the earth tell them why it's actually a good thing that they're HERE lol. Monkeys.

#91 Mathloom, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    malakas likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

She was giving birth. It looks to me that the steel window pane fell right around her like in a cartoon or something.

[​IMG]

malakas likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

not to be picky, but I don’t think that’s how tsunamis work. You need a big vertical shift on the sea floor to where a huge column of water literally drops, giving rise to a super-slosh (not actual technical term).

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

. . . or a huge chunk of a glacier breaking off and falling into a fjord.

16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I will answering somebody underground hypothetical explosion. Above ground the sizemic was like 3.3 so they imagined underground and Beirut being so close to the sea.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

I am honestly surprised they havent lynched already some of these corrupt politicians with terrorists affiliations.

I hope this can bring real change and they get rid of the vilest crap that has been governing the country for decades.

18. KingCheetah

Going to need @Mr. Brightside to weigh in on this one.

19. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

malakas, davidio840 and donkeypunch like this.
  20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

You mean a huge column of water is literally pushed upwards? Tectonic plates push together until pressure shifts and one goes down and the other goes up. The on that shifts up creates the tsunami.