1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mass sexual assaults by refugees in Frankfurt ‘completely made up’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Edit: these events were for 2016 Frankfurt and NOT the 2015 New Year's Eve sexual assaults in Germany https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_Eve_sexual_assaults_in_Germany (Credit to @Bandwagoner)

I figured the stories of migrants in Germany on New Years was just overblown (crimes do happen, and migrants like citizens commit crime), but not that it was completely made up.

https://www.thelocal.de/20170214/ma...made-up?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mass sexual assaults by refugees in Frankfurt ‘completely made up’
    The claims first appeared in Bild newspaper on February 6th, which described the men as a “rioting sex mob,” speculating that they had come from a refugee home in central Hesse.

In an article since taken down from its website, the tabloid interviewed a well-known chef who runs a restaurant on Fressgass street, as well as a 27-year-old woman.

The chef, Jan Mai, claimed that 50 Arab men caused havoc in his restaurant as well as in others. He also claimed that they sexually assaulted women and stole jackets.

The woman told the newspaper that “they grabbed me under my skirt, between the legs and on my breast - everywhere.”

But police confirmed on Tuesday to the Frankfurter Rundschau that their investigation of the allegations had led them to believe that they were spurious.

“Interviews with alleged witnesses, guests and employees led to major doubts with the version of events that had been presented,” the police said.

“One of the alleged victims was not even in Frankfurt at the time the allegations are said to have taken place.”

SEE ALSO: No Breitbart, a Muslim mob didn't set fire to Germany's oldest church

The police were indeed unequivocal in how they understood the events to have unfolded.

“Masses of refugees were not responsible for any sexual assaults in the Fressgass over New Year. The accusations are completely baseless,” the police said.

Before the Bild report, no sexual assaults were reported to police from Fressgass over New Year.

Prosecutors are now looking into whether Mai and the 27-year-old woman made up the story.

Bild newspaper is bitterly resented by the German left, which accuses it of having stoked hatred against immigrants over decades.

On its website Bild published a statement on Tuesday, saying “Bild apologizes expressly for the untruthful article and the accusations made in it.

“This article in no way met the journalistic standards of Bild.”

Bild's online editor-in-chief, Julian Reichelt, also promised consequences on Twitter.

“We apologize for our own work. I’ll shortly announce what Bild will do about it,” he tweeted.

But other social media users were not prepared to forgive the newspaper too easily.

“It’s too late. The damage has already been done,” one wrote.

“Ah, Bild is apologizing. You should do it more often given how many of your articles are fakes,” another wrote.

#1 Ubiquitin, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Modern right wing terrorism is the diffusion of a steady stream of 'fake news' to strike fear in the hearts of the gullible.

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

As if this source is any more credible than any other source.... who knows?

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The entire story reads like a white nationalist wet dream. 50 Muslim refugees running around raping random white women and stealing their jackets.

It's one of those things where I'll put money on majoirty of the allegations being false.

5. okierock

Since I wasn't there and nobody I know or trust was there I wouldn't put money on anything. There was a time when news was about telling what happened and I actually trusted what they say.

It does sound like this Bild source is extremely questionable though and the above account is more likely.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sounds like the German Breitbart.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sounds like Trump's plan to disassociate his trumpkins to the truth has worked extremely well on you. Good luck with that...

Amiga likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Your delusion is growing. You think no crimes on New Years happened in Cologne? And you think it was not overwhelmingly Alysum seekers?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Overblown as in I thought they did happen but not on a massive scale. I think I read up to 2000 rapes were reported in the city. That's a ridiculously high number of cases. If that makes me delusional, then I will be with the delusional majority.

But this German article says the whole thing was made up, so even being overblown was wrong.

So no, the asylum seekers were not the predomint group out there sexually assaulting people because it just did not happen. There is no reason to demonize people who just look or sound different.

#9 Ubiquitin, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. okierock

Yup... and Hillary is still going to be president.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I imagine this thread will go over well....

Are they talking about *this* NYE or *last* NYE?

Eye/ear-witness testimony is reliably awful and there is a strong anti-migrant sentiment so it's not surprising that people could inflame a half-truth or rumor into a full-blown crisis.

Kind of like how it now lives forever in the conservative American zeitgeist that thousands of Muslims celebrated in the streets of New Jersey (and other metro areas in the US) on 9/11.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We quickly just went from a band of marauding immigrants sexually assaulting hundreds of women to "you think no crimes".

larsv8 likes this.
  13. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

To your credit, though, this is about the reports of massive sexual assault occurring in Frankfurt during NYE 2016 and does not refute the reports of crimes in Cologne NYE 2015. There were 22 rapes in Cologne 2015 attributed to migrants, which is still too much but a more believable number.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Here you go as far as justification for that post.

It happened, on a massive scale, by asylum seekers in Germany.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

You're right for Cologne 2015, and I wholely accept being fully misinformed about it. Cologne 2015 was perpetuated by North Africans and other migrants. 2000+ women were sexually assaulted/robbed across Germany with at least 24 rapes. Depressing statistics.
    Frankfurt 2016 fortunately was not a repeat of the events. I formed my posts based the article, mistakenly assuming it also addressed the Cologne events (which it does not.) Accept these likes here because you've earned them.

shastarocket and Yung-T like this.
  16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Damn, Dude. Sounds like you can't talk about current events anymore.

17. okierock

Sure you can but the days of taking a single article of "news" as the truth of what happened are over. You have to read several articles from the spin doctors on both sides of an issue and then try to extract the truth. This is a lot more work than I want to put into most current event topics.

Heck just trying to decide what is actual news vs what is some blurb taken out of context and given a giant font to garner clicks from one side or the other is more work than I'm willing to put in.