1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Luke Cage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Finally finished slogging through this last night.

I say 'slogging' because this particular series.. wow. I don't know what the producers and directors were thinking, but certain things HAD to be conscious decisions, and they were not good ones.

Here's what I mean, specifically. From the very first episode, all the way to the very last one, every scene, every interaction, all of it felt like it was in slow motion. If this were a stage play, the director would have been screaming at the actors all the way through: 'Pick up your lines! Come ON! What are you waiting for?? Get this thing MOVING!' In other words, there were these constant pauses, unnaturally long pauses, between almost every line, and the physical movement of the characters was like they were trudging through molasses. It was REALLY noticeable, really consistent, and almost unbearable at times.

Because it was so consistent, I cannot fault the actors. Everyone did reasonably well - although I really did not like the 'Missy' character at all, and while Colter is a large handsome man, 'charismatic' he was not, at least not in this series. The character bore very little resemblance to the cool cat we saw in Jessica Jones.

I place the blame on the writing, and the direction. And because the episodes were directed by various different people, this ultimately has to rest on the producers. They had a 'vision', and by golly, they were going to do it the way they wanted to do it.

The writing in particular seemed weak, specifically the way scenes were constructed and developed. It all just sort of.. meandered. All over the place.

And Alfre Woodard.. ok, she's a fine actress, but this series suffered from the 'Viola Davis Disease' which afflicted Suicide Squad - far too much Alfre Woodard, and not nearly enough butt-kicking from the bullet-proof man.

SOOO many characters I did not care about. Like, at ALL.

Was there anyone in this series you were 'rooting' for? Other than Cage? And since we KNOW Cage was never in any danger, and would win in the end, was there anyone else you were pulling for? Hoping for them to succeed somehow? Liked?

And the constant underlying minimalist jazz soundtrack.. ugh. It didn't work for me at all.

It sounds like I hated it, I know. But I didn't. I was just expecting much much more, and it turned out to be kind of amateurish and dull to me.

Hopefully if it gets a second season, they will pick up the pace, up the action, and downplay the constant sitting around talking, and angsty navel-gazing.

DudeWah and Blatz like this.
  2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't mean to make this a race thing, but I am curious none the less. You're not black, are you?

Also, yes...for someone who didn't hate it you have a small essay worth of complaints.

#102 seclusion, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    ubigred likes this.
  3. Nero

Nero Member

It's an interesting question. No, I am not black. Would the dull slow action-less pace have seemed less dull and slow to me if I was? Obviously that's not a serious question - I just can't imagine why it should make any difference.

Listen, I have a degree in the Theatre, I have been a stage actor for over 40 years; I have both written and directed. Those are the eyes through which I was experiencing this show. Usually I don't feel that way about television and movies, because it is such a basic component of a production - keep it moving! - that it's rare to see something like this where it's clear the production concept was to slow everything down and leave a lot of dead space between almost every line and action.

Anyway, like I said, I didn't hate it. I just expected something more in line with the character we got to know in Jessica Jones. I'll wait eagerly for every new Netflix/Marvel series, because I have enjoyed them all. But this most recent one was the weakest of the bunch so far. I hope they recognize that and adjust for the next time we see Carl Lucas.

DudeWah likes this.
  4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That singular question made you pretty defensive. Anyway, I could tell you aren't -- that was my reason for asking. I could tell rather quickly, but the final nail in the coffin for me was you disliking the jazz music. Luke Cage has the best soundtrack of any of the shows yet, period. Anywho, as I said, it was pure curiosity.

As for your opinion; you're entitled to it, and how you drew your conclusions isn't a concern of mine.

#104 seclusion, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    ubigred likes this.
  5. Nero

Nero Member

For the record, I didn't say I don't like jazz music. I not only like jazz, I also happen to be (or used to be anyway) a very good jazz trombonist :)

I merely said the way it was implemented in the series didn't work for me.

But it's all just opinion anyway, as you say.

DudeWah likes this.
  6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Sheesh. Guy basically gives a thoughtful review of the show and you come back with "you're white, right?" and "how you drew your conclusions isn't a concern of mine."

Who's the defensive one again? Lighten up, Francis.

Outlier likes this.
  7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Who said anything him being white? I just said I knew he wasn't black. Nice try at instigating.
    Me saying I'm not concerned with how he came to his opinion is defensive? I love how you left the part out where I said he's entitled to his opinion.

I think you need to take some reading comprehension classes.

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

If someone dislikes Jazz music that automatically means they're not black?

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

[​IMG]

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

I can tell you aren't white. Don't mean to bring race into this.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's funny; because I'm actually half black half white. You're all dipshit, and I absolutely meant to bring your lifestyle choices into this.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

just watched the 1st episode of S2...they got this new villain called Bushmaster...all I gotta say is that the way he took out the head of the Jamaicans had me like

[​IMG]

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Spoilers dude. While I'm sure that won't necessarily ruin anything for anyone, I'm certainly expecting that to happen now. I would have rather gone in blind.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

my bad

seclusion likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

better than Last season over all . .. . first six of last season was better

Rocket River

16. opticon

opticon Member

I really enjoyed season 2. Season 3 will be interesting. My Mom's side of the family are from the west Indies and settled in Brooklyn so I alot of the references had special meaning to me.

Really love how this series explores black culture.
    Great watch even if you are not into super hero shows.

peleincubus likes this.
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

First two episodes of S2 were OK. Not completely falling off the tracks like S1 will automatically make S2 better.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

1 thing that bothers me is that the henchman are just dumb AF...u know the dude is bullet proof, yet y’all keep thinking shooting him is somehow gonna work...the definition of insanity definitely applies here

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

So is this worthwhile? I couldn't finish the Punisher, only got about 4 episodes in, and still have the final couple episodes of Jessica Jones season 2......

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Not gonna read previous pages in case there's a spoiler, but did anyone else know that former NFL running back Thomas Jones is now a full fledged actor (Comanche)?