1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Luke Cage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I hated diamondback so much, lived cottonmouth though. His voice was awesome! I don't know how to spoiler or is go into more detail. So far it's my least favorite, along with DD season 1. I loved season 2 and I loved JJ. I liked Luke cage in that so maybe he is just better as a supporting character for me? I dunno! But damn I want me some more cottonmouth

2. Entropy

Entropy Member

Fairly boring show, enjoyed the music though even though its not usually my thing. Never felt like anyone that Luke cared about after would be harmed, or that Luke himself would be in any real life-threatening danger. Diamondback had him stone cold dead and instead shoots him in the shoulder at pretty much point blank range...And is also conveniently saved by falling into the garbage truck...that plot armor.

#82 Entropy, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I don't know if I've ever experienced a show drop off so dramatically halfway through the series.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It was OK. After DD2, JJ1 and the reviews that praised Luke Cage so highly, I was very disappointed during the early episodes. After adjusting my expectations downward, I was able to enjoy it.

I'm sorry, Mike Colter doesn't emote enough passion to be the lead actor in a series. The Netflix/Marvel team up made the most of him. Alfre Woodard outshined him so badly it was awkward. Simone Cook and Rosario Dawson did also.
    Diamondback was a complete joke.

However, if they decide to give it a 2nd season, I expect a big improvement like with DD.

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

6. opticon

opticon Member

That was pure gold. I hope the show runners of Cage see that.

7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I'm halfway through episode 9 and about to quit unless someone can convince me otherwise that it gets better.

I understand that it's a comic book show, but the show dropped off tremendously and is super cheesy at this point.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well . . . we know why
    You killed off the most interesting character, CottonMouth

Rocket River

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I was joking about this that the only face he could emote was the "baby, why you hurt my fine ass" look you saw in Jessica Jones but also applied to that detective, Diamondback, his dead wife ,Pops etc...

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Your thought has merit, but the main reason was
    adding Diamondback. He was an uncredible, cartoonish disaster that killed the show.

11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

this show was terrible. the problem was with the main character the villains and the writing.

Luke cage, is a super strong, bullet proof and apparently irresistable to women is a cranky, dull ass character who only wants to mop the floor and clean dishes. Dude has no motivation, personality or interest of any kind.

The problems with the show really starts when cage starts fighting. First of all, Cottonmouth and his crew are the single weakest villains of any series I can recall. Dude has like 1 or 2 body guards with him. His power amounts to a single night club, some drug running operations and an extortion racket so obvious mr bean could've shut down. Why the hell would they need a super hero to take him down, the detectives on the Wire or NYPD or Law and Order or hell, Nancy drew or the Scooby doo kids would've shut him down in a week.

Lets not even get started on the politician lady and her small time racket or the lady detective who despite her "abilities" is somehow a terrible detective. Or the terrible action scenes and OMG shades or dominguiz... two of the most useless/cringeworthy characters and performances ever.

On the other hand the music was good and rosario dawson is always easy on the eyes. I finished watching the series, but pretty much skipped all the dialog after episode 7.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

dayu... Turk Barrett as Turkel haha

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah did not love the show. Mainly I'm just upset how Claire hooked up with Matt Murdoch and (almost) Luke Cage, but never even made out with Jessica Jones.

Come on, Marvel. Get your act together.

Deji McGever likes this.
  14. Entropy

Entropy Member

Felt that Claire was heavily shoe-horned into the show. Her destiny is to be a hero-whisperer? The F? Her entrance into the show was just as bad as Diamondback's.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

I watched the 1st episode. Liked it, but did I miss the origin of his powers? The look and feel were great. Liked the colors and general cinematography and camera work. Think it is watchable. The Cottonmouth guy seemed like a decent character, but they should have showed him beating the shiot out the kid. Got confused on if Dante is alive or dead, but wasn't watching as closely as I should have been as it was background for me. The barbershop didn't really seem to fit in to the overall production, but it's clear the barber guys knows what he is capable of.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

His origin is shown in flashbacks in later episodes.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I really enjoyed it. The last episode wasn't quite as strong as the rest of the season, but these shows seem to have trouble wrapping up after the seasons have been so excellent. Plus they're all leading into Defenders so they can't leave the characters in too tentative of a place. Bring on Iron Fist and Defenders!

Speaking of that Defenders started filming a couple days ago...

18. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Luke Cage, "Always"

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Sweet Christmas...I think you are all being very tough on the show.

I loved it. I think there was a creative vision that was very stylized and I think it was very loyal to the source material (the comic) much as I felt Daredevil was. I did watch this before DD and JJ, though, and DD is in a whole class of its own as a show. I actually think JJ is the weakest of the three.

20. Poloshirtbandit

Finished yesterday. I liked it.