1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

9.5/10

Enjoyed. I agree the villain should have been 100% committed to his cause and less psycho. His rationale was firm, I was half rooting for him, which is hard for a movie to pull off, very challenging to navigate both sides, but they jumped from the sympathetic boy to near psycho. Felt like I missed his formative years much like nobody knows what happened to Jesus growing up. Was really curious what would happen as they buried him and he was off to travel and see his father.

Think that while they nailed in a short period of film time two different political motivations, I would have liked an answer to the problem, and don't feel like they got there. But the Black Panthers vision did resonate with me, and I did like the idea of building bridges vs walls.

For such an advanced society, isolating one of the tribes, I found it hard to believe the king could be challenged for rule with a simple fight. That to me was the stretch. And then all of the people are like f' it, he's our new ruler. That doesn't wreak of an advanced civilization to me.

While still giving it a 95, I wish they could have taken me to a place I had never been before. That's the one element I didn't walk away with. Cool world, but I've seen it before.

Not sure why everyone likes this Winter Soldier Bucky. I'm not feeling him at all in any of the movies. He seems so dead to me.

#301 PhiSlammaJamma, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Jontro likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the comics, the vibranium for Captain America's shield absolutely came from Wakanda. They gave it to him as a reward for helping them defeat a Hydra plot. They then experimented on the vibranium and through an accident they formed the vibranium-adamantium alloy that makes the shield essentially the strongest non magical metal in the Marvel universe.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This hits on something I noticed. Don't talk about being the most advanced/civilized nation. Be it.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That was a problem for me too. There's no way that the most advanced society in the would would still have that primitive form of government.....nor would they have so many people making ape noises and carrying spears. I understand that a lot of that was in the comics and they were trying to find a way to make a character called "Man-Ape" work in a modern movie.....but it just came across really weird and inappropriate given the advanced society it was supposed to be part of.

Like you say, they should have actually made Wakanda an advanced society instead of just saying it over and over again.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

yeah that was a bit weak. but i'm not sure whether anyone can challenge the king at any given time or they would have to wait until a new king is about to be coronated to challenge. my guess is they have to wait until the current king dies and challenge the heir at the next ceremony. killmonger was just a special case and t'challa could have denied the challenge, but arrogantly said "i accept" thinking he's untouchable. i actually took a bit of joy seeing him get his ass handed to him.

as for bucky, i too find him a little bland. can't believe he'll carry the torch after cap dies in infinity war.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Well. Thanks for that spoiler Jontro.

Jontro and Ziggy like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Loki & Killmonger. The only standout villains in the MCU? Magneto & Joker from the non-MCU. And that's about it I think.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

1. Joker - This character thrives in any decade. Heath Ledger was genius.
    2. Magneto - When I first encountered Magneto I thought he was stupid, an old guy who moves metal, but they really developed his depth and character recently and love the sophistication, and moral ambiguity.
    3. Luthor from Superman I - This guy was fun and Otisville.
    4. Scarecrow - I bought in 100%. I forget who the actor is but he is brilliant.
    5. Loki - Hated him in the first movie, but now I see the depth and charm. Complexity and ambitions make him relatable.
    6. Bane - Fun and powerful, had some motive, and liked his commitment.
    7. Killmonger - Character depth and believability.
    8. Vulture - Interesting story and likeability.
    9. Harry Osborne - I liked James Franco's character. And I loved the dinner scene with the father.
    10. Harvey Dent - Loved him although we never got really far with the evil.
    11. Sandman - brief but interesting performance.
    12. Sabertooth - Strong showing from live Schrieber.
    13. Sebastian Shaw - Thought bacon delivered.
    14. That crazy scientist from the Hulk - Loved that guy although I don't know what happened to him.

#308 PhiSlammaJamma, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Ziggy likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Doc Ock and Vulture were pretty good villains.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

They also didn't really explain how they kept their technological advancements secret from the outside world. That seems near impossible and wasn't really addressed.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I ended up watching this movie in 3d by accident. It was alright.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah they glossed over a lot that wouldn't make sense without some kind of mystic answer. Somehow Vibranium equals technology....technology that can entirely cloak a country and give them flying saucers and star wars prequel shields.

I think that you aren't meant to think about the movie at all or everything falls apart, which is why there should have been more action to distract you from having time to think about the logic behind everything that is happening on screen and their implications.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

enjoyed the film but I dont think it was as amazing as others and parts of the media are making it out to be. It was very enjoyable, but it seemed still somewhat "marvel" formulaic where the enemy was somewhat of a mirror image of the main hero. Though Killmonger was far more enjoyable than the past ones (The Dude and Rourke in Iron Man 1/2, YellowJacket, Abomination, Red Skull/Cap, Dr. Strange etc) I did like the number of strong female characters that made it stand out more than other marvel films.

I would say its a solid 8/10 -- well deserved of the huge opening weekend it had but I've seen some reviews saying it was the best MCU movie to date and personally I dont see it that way.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Very enjoyable film, lots of cool moments. Great villain. Better than most Marvel movies (not to say that most of them aren't good). I'd give it a solid 8/10.

15. Purvis's shorts

I thought it was a solid movie.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That was a damn good movie.

He is going to get larger roles in movies moving forward to capture the average black movie goer.

Super impressed.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Right behind the first Avengers for me...But it rivals it.

18. droxford

droxford Member

4/10

The first Marvel superhero movie that I didn't like. Extremely disappointed.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

bruh...

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

still waiting for off peak hours to see it.. Wednesday morning? I don't know I'll see what happens.

I may have to unsubscribe to this thread though.. you guys dont know what spoilers tags are? come on, guys..

Rocket River likes this.