1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquese Chriss as an NBA player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Aug 31, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Chriss' potential to develop into a good NBA player?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Not good - no hope of developing into a good player.

24 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. He's meh - small chance he develops into a good player.

102 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Not sure - 50/50 chance he develops into a good player.

120 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. He's decent - decent chance that he develops into a good player.

114 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. He's good - he will definitely develop into a good player.

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

2. basketballholic

We want him to be Amare with some defense and a 3-point shot. I have no doubts he can be Amare in PnR. I'm afraid he's mostly Amare defensively. And I have no clue whether his 3-point shot will be better than Amare.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good article on CTG about Chriss but I was getting an error message when I tried to post it here this morning. Will try again later.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, if anyone can post the CTG article on Chriss that would be great.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Milos

Milos Member

Was looking for clarification on behind-the-scenes issues but few new details there

After some lurking & prodding into PHX fans, guy seems to have serious issues with work ethic & coachability

Not Eddie Griffin level serious ...
    But could def be Dwight-level problems unless Paul & Lucas can rehab his ego

Either way, forget Bosh draft comps
    More like Stromile's tease of game w Evan Turner's delusional entitlement
    I'm starting to wonder if he even breaks camp on active roster

Hope I'm wrong & he proves doubters wrong, making this deal yet another Morey heist

Good news is we can walk away any time w zero harm beyond this season

Deuce, napalm06 and da_juice like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

He isn’t Amare and he never will be.

He lacks intelligence, maturity, work ethic and love of the game.

He is clueless and never was big on basketball to begin with.

jboslett likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Chriss doesn't have to be Amare, he just needs to back up Amare. If anyone is playing Amare role its Clint, without the jump shot but much better D.

Rockets dont really need Amare type player on O anyway, this is not the 7 seconds or less Suns, Rockets under MDA are even more offensively (historically better even) and defensively potent.

roslolian likes this.
  8. basketballholic

Agreed.

Nook likes this.
  9. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Dude, he is 21. Just a baby for Gods sake. Let the kid grow up a bit. Geez

10. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Dude, he is 21. Just a baby for Gods sake. Let the kid grow up a bit. Geez

Bearius Jones likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Out of all the things the poster said Chriss lacks maturity is the only one that comes with age.

Love for the game, workethic, intelligence etc he should be dsiplaying those attributes even if he is only 21. Capela for example already had these qualities first day of training camp as a rookie.

da_juice likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Personalities are personalities... they do not typically change over night. It is very unlikely he suddenly loves basketball, works hard and shows an aptitude for it.

It is a wonderful thought... but it is very rare that someone with those flaws change in the narrow time crunch of establishing an NBA career.

da_juice and GermanRoxFan like this.
  13. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

You could argue someone with the skill set of Chriss has some type of work ethic. If capelas work ethic was so great why doesnt he have a three point shot, a mid range game, and post moves beyond catching ally oops? Not raggin on Capela but cmon there is obviously a spectrum here when it comes to work ethic. Also, capela was lucky to be in a perfect situation for him. Chriss was stuck in pheonix, with bad coaching, bad vet leadership. Now, he will be in a better situation. Let the kid grow up a bit in a better environment and see what happens. He can be better than Capela will ever be.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know a ton of terrible white guys at 24-hour fitness that can shoot threes, play the mid-range, and have post moves, and they all have an awful work ethic. Many times, those talents are just natural. Work ethic is something more. The way Clint Capela sprints the pipe is pure work ethic. The way he has improved over time is pure work ethic. His work in the weight room is 100% pure work ethic. It is how you maximize your natural abilities.

Do you think players that could shoot or postup better than Chuck Hayes had superior work ethics? I didn't think so...

Highly unlikely.

And no, he is literally nothing like Amare, in any facet of his game. Completely different skill set.

roslolian and da_juice like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

umm bc that's not something he needs to work on. hes not some wing player that needs to work on those things to be the player he is in this league. that has 0 to do with his work ethic. he has continuously worked on being better and better at what he does. people think his job is just so simple. it looks simple bc he worked tremendously at making it that way

#195 YOLO, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Clint Capela will never be a starting caliber NBA center. Hartenstein will supplant him no later than December.
    ---The Holic

I kid, I kid. (dramatic pause) He'll be replaced in the starting lineup by Zhou Qi.
    ---The Holic

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A HOLISTIC approach

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

(I deserve a lot of rep for this. Had to use super elite hacking skills to get the mp4 links.)

#198 Haymitch, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  19. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

He was on a young team, now he is on a team full of vets. He will get this act together.

xtruroyaltyx and dkoune like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

What type of skill set are we talking about here exactly? If Chriss' skillset was so valuable then he wouldn't have been dumped by PHX for Ryan freaking Anderson. By 3 pt shot are you talking about Chriss 29% FG last year? Wtf! Comparing him to Capela is an insult to Capela is 29% from 3 something to brag about? If a dude is gonna shoot that poorly I'd rather him not take any 3 pt attempta in the first place.

Capela wasn't "lucky" he literally forced hus way to the team and then played his butt off to get mins. Rockets wanted him to spend a year in Europe but Clint forced his way to the roster, that's how big his drive to succeed is and that was before any leadership or coaching affected him.

I have nothing against Chriss however you have to understand his character issues isn't jist due to him being young. In history knuckleheads have rarely reformed and when they did do so they did it near the end of their career meaning if he continues to be a blockhead the Rox aren't gonna be the one who benefit from him its gonna be some other team down the line when Chriss is like 29 or w/e.