1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MARLINS] 'We won't disband, we promise' yeah right...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Mr. Mooch, Nov 25, 2003.

?

Do you think the Marlins are done getting rid of their players?

1. Yeah, they just needed enough $$$ for Pudge.

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, they can't afford the team; will resemble the winter of '97.

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. I think they will pursue quality free agents this winter.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Teams exchange first basemen in trade

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1671120

CHICAGO (AP) -- The World Series champion Florida Marlins cut some payoll Tuesday, sending Gold Glove first baseman Derrek Lee to the Chicago Cubs for first baseman Hee Seop Choi and a minor league player to be named.

Lee, 28, was arbitration eligible after collecting $4.25 million last season. As the third highest-paid player on the team, he hit .271 with 31 homers and 92 RBI while committing only five errors in winning his first Gold Glove.

Lee was at his best when it counted most. He batted .341 with five home runs and 20 RBI in September, then had 15 hits and eight RBI in the playoffs.

Among Lee's big hits was a game-tying two-run double off Chicago's Mark Prior in Game 6 of the NL Championship Series. The Marlins won games 6 and 7 before defeating the New York Yankees in the World Series.

Lee was rumored to be on the trading block. His expected destination was Baltimore, but the sides could not agree on a contract this week and ceased talks.

While the Marlins are not expected to purge their roster, they do have key free agents in catcher Ivan Rodriguez, second baseman Luis Castillo and closer Ugueth Urbina.

In addition, third baseman Mike Lowell is arbitration eligible.

This is just sad because they will suck next season. Sure, Lowell will be a good player, but overpaid. And Pudge's career can't last much longer.

BAD, BAD move!

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like that deal for the Marlins. You watch Choi next year. He will be good. Great eye and lots of power.

And no the Marlins won't suck next season, but they won't be as good because they just had the magic this year kind of like the Angels before them. They still have all their pitching and they still have a solid hitting core.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I never was a Lee man so I don't see this as much of a loss except in payroll. Ivan will be a key FA that will tell whether they are serious on keeping them together. Maybe this was a move to make room for more money for Irod. As long as their pitchers stay healthy, they will be ok.

4. surrender

surrender Member

My first reaction to this news was "F***"; now that I've calmed down a bit, I'm beginning to like it more. Choi can be just as good as Lee for cheaper, and I'd rather have the Marlins spend the money to shore up the rotation.

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I don't think they will have a fire sale. But keep this in mind. They have been around for 10 years and have won the World Series twice...20% of their seasons, they have been carrying the trophy.

Not a bad average.

6. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

great move for the marlins. choi should eventually be just as good if not better than lee and they save a bunch of $$

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I dont see that as cutting salary Choi will be a nice player for a long time. But even if they do cut salary that'd be fine if I were a marlins fan. 2 world series rings in 10 years of existance thats very impressive. Heck they're the most successful franchise over the last decade other than the Yankees.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Wow! That's amazing.

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Who gives a ****?? I hate baseball.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

From what I understand, they are FAR apart from reaching a deal with Pudge. I think Pudge wants like a 4 year deal and they only want to give him like 2 years. Will be interesting to see what happens there. He WAS the key to their run and if they lose him, I don't see them being as good next season as they were this past season.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

That's solid. :)

12. surrender

surrender Member

Also, if this move frees up money to throw at Vlad Guerrero, I'm all for it :cool:

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Isn't the payroll already low. They won with a bunch of scrubs this year.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

isnt burnett coming back next year too? or does he have longer to go in his rehab?

also i was thinking this trade was interesting because it means that the marlins seem to have given up on their 2 stud prospect first basemen that they have in the minors. i guess thats probably a good decision since they havent done crap lately.

i cant think of any other prospects they have coming up but they have to have some more since they were loaded.