1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Markieff Morris signs with OKC.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 14, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For Kief, I don't know if the specifics of the contract has been released yet but I'm still thinking it came down to money. Vet minimum money that the Rockets offered or the entire remaining MLE that OKC had. If it was just for thet vet min then yea this topic goes into an entire different conversation/concern.

amaru likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

sweet jesus does that quote look bad in retrospect.

3. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

This one stings. Big blow to our playoff run. Our lack of length concerns me. Would really need to see CP3 and Gordon step it up to make a deep run.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We definitely need another PF. We currently only have Tucker who is 6'5", 33 years old, and plays 35pmg. Our roster is incredibly short.

Even if you don't like Morris much as a player, he would at least be in our rotation and give Tucker rest. Now he gets to contribute on a competitive WC opponent. Fantastic.

amaru, TheRealAllpro and slothy420 like this.
  5. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

That's my biggest qualm about the GM. Just cannot control his mouth at times.

6. amaru

amaru Member

Very true money is always a motivating factor.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

There is no doubt this roster is completely hamstrung by an owner who refuses to dip into the luxury tax. We CAN NOT sign anyone until the applicable dates.

PJ Tucker, who last season was a revelation, is over played and not nearly the contributor he could be. He needs his minutes cut heavily right now to get some energy back, but we have a coach who doesn't see what we see and a team who cannot add anyone to reduce his minutes.

I don't think Morris was the difference between losing and winning the championship but he definitely would have given us some much needed life. We got shorter and shorter handed at the trade deadline to save Tilman cash. No other reason.

Dumping Ennis for nothing was egregious . Ennis wasn't great, he really wasn't even good, but goodness he ate into minutes and provided depth. He is tall and he is long. Now we have no length in a defensive system that is predicated on length.

It can be spun anyway you want, it was a white flag by Tilman.

I feel for Morey.

#327 treyk3, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is a comic at heart, says what he thinks.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We're going to have our pick of the free agents who are willing to play for the minimum after we bragged earlier in the season about having the MLE for the buyout market. Also, they need to wait on us for a bit. We can't sign one of them until next week, then need to sign the second guy in March after signing a ten-day contract. We're in the drivers seat.

10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

You're expecting the basketball media in this town to revolt, when the football media has been a laughably rose-colored mouthpiece for the Texans since their inception. It did spawn the funny character of "Texans Comrade Zierlien" though.

As for baseball, local media, exemplified by Richard Justice, though even he ran off to MLB when the bull$hit surrounding Crane's heavily-leveraged acquisition of the team, and the utterly legendary tank job Crane and Luhnow did for the Astros's first couple years, got to be too much for even him to disguise: has been even worse. Though at least Crane won the town a ring.

Worse than the Feigen article you mention, was the one a few weeks ago, that may as well have been written by Thad (Tad?) Browne. I think it was on the House standoff or how pumped the Rockets were to be players at the trade deadline, or something similar, but it was embarrassingly pro ownership, management, and resoundingly anti-observationally based reality

Tl;dr: this isn't Boston or NY, and we're going to be disappointed if we expect that aggressive of coverage from our media.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I mentioned this on twitter, but I think there could be a connection that Markieff's agent is Rich Paul and Nerlens Noel's agent is ALSO Rich Paul.

Perhaps Rich Paul liked how things were working with Noel in OKC and steered Morris to there as well.

napalm06 and D-rock like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Could not have said it better .

You can look at House as another example .

MDA hurts us a lot too . I would rather play Gary Clark 15 minute per game and lose a game or two due to his mistakes than wear down PJ like this . As bad as our roster is , we have playable guys that MDA leaves on the bench

13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Count me in the group that says no apologies required. The muffin heads out there that are mad and all that are just that. Muffin heads. Ignore them and thank you for sharing the nuggets you have and thank you for the thick skin to not let these muffinheads get to you.

Cstyle42, D-rock and saleem like this.
  14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Something looks familiar...o_O

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm also interested to see what money OKC offered. It will have a big effect on whether 'the narrative' is accurate.

16. riko

riko Member

I think it came down to playing time. Outside of grant he won’t have much competition for the backup PF spot. Patterson has regressed big time so he has no case.

17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Morris is not all that good, probably be like bucket or 2 more than ennis, and you probably barely know he be there. Wat the big deal? loss here.....

13BeardsIN1 likes this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I think it was personal. His brother was treated like crap by management when Mchale was here. Mchale went out of his way to embarrass the kid while heaping praise on Parsons. Parsons was ahead of Mook but Mchale openly bashed the kid which was uncalled for. Especially when Marcus couldve played the 4. Hell they had both of them on rookie deals. IMO, Marcus didn't get a fair shake here. Not surprised his twin would not want to come play here.

#338 TEXNIFICENT, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

PPat a buyout?

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Casspi is better fit for Rockets than Queef ever was.