1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Spears makes me sick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MingMaham, Aug 27, 2004.

1. MingMaham

MingMaham Member

Shooting guard Jason Richardson, 23, returns after averaging a team-best 18.7 points last season. The Warriors are considering signing this restricted free agent before the season, too. But 2005 free agent shooting guards like All-Stars Tracy McGrady, Michael Redd and Ray Allen may cause Golden State to be more patient. The problem, however, for Golden State is Charlotte, Atlanta, Portland, Seattle, Cleveland, Chicago and the Los Angeles Clippers will have money, too, during free agency.

I am sick and tired of reading this crap, first from Chad Ford, and now from Marc Spears, about how Tracy McGrady will be this hot sought-after free agent next season. I mean do the writers for ESPN really hate the Rockets so much that they are insinuating that Les and CD have not already taken into consideration the contract situation before the trade. I seriously doubt that the Rockets didn't receive some kind of assurance from McGrady before they pulled the trigger. He frigg'in hand picked his team for goodness sake! And besides all that, it was discussed early by Jeff and others that 610 reported that McGrady has agreed in principle to a 6 year deal, and it only makes sense that it nullifies his option next year. And you can't tell me that ESPN hasn't heard of the report yet. So unless its a rumor, this is a slap in the face by ESPN to the Rockets and all there fans. They are completely out of line to already be reporting news about the future before the season has even started. But then again, I guess these guys have nothing better to write about anyways, considering how slow the sports world has been lately with just the Olympics, LLWS, willd-card chases, WSOP, pre-season football and all. Now that I have gotten this off my chest I can step off my soap box now. But I mean really, am I the only one who gets upset hearing about this garbage??

2. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

seriously even if they don't finalize a deal, why the hell would tmac want to come to houston for a year when he could have gone to other places. If it's about money, rockets can sign him the most anyway. It's dumb to even think Tmac would leave let alone the season has yet to start yet.

3. dn1282

dn1282 Member

YES.

and in case you get pissed again, next time understand that it's just speculation

4. MingMaham

MingMaham Member

Speculation as you put it would be if he wrote something along the lines of "possible free agent guard Tracy McGrady" or "potential free agent guard Tracy McGrady". Go Back and read what he wrote. He wrote it as a fact: 2005 free agent shooting guards like All-Stars Tracy McGrady .

5. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

yeah this is probably even worse than all the warrior fans who think yao is going to sign with them after his contract is up :rolleyes:

6. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

spec·u·la·tive [ spékyə làytiv, spékyələtiv ]

adjective

1. using incomplete information: based on conjecture or incomplete information

in other words something that we call BULL SH*T

:cool: :p ;) :D :)

7. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

It could just be sloppy research. He probably took a look at some "potential 2005 free agent" list, and saw Mcgrady's name. It makes his "story" a little more juicy. But I don't think anyone really believes that Tracy will be available next summer.

So I'de be more upset at the sloppy research or lack of insight.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Really, it's speculation?

But 2005 free agent shooting guards like All-Stars Tracy McGrady, Michael Redd and Ray Allen may cause Golden State to be more patient.

Looks to me he is just assuming the Rockets won't give McGrady an extension, or McGrady will turn it down, opt out of the last 3 years and shop himself around the league. How is that speculation? That looks more like assumption to me.

9. dn1282

dn1282 Member

the other guy already stated the definition of speculation...but i'll do it again:

spec·u·la·tion - Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition.

as·sump·tion - Something taken for granted or accepted as true without proof; a supposition

but let's not get technical. Speculations are true sometimes, and assumptions sometimes turn out to be true too. What's the difference? They're writers. They speculate and assume stuff and act as if they have insider info (chad ford?). I don't see how it's "disrespect" towards Houston or houston's execs.

10. Toast

Toast Member

OOH! Ooh!

Maybe we can trade them T-Mac + Yao for draft picks + Jason Richardson :D ;)

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yea - TMac is going to take less money to play for that crew and organization...

12. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I've asked this before.. and I will ask it again

the 2004 free agreny season is still going on... why are these EPSN hacks already talking about the 2005 off season :confused: