1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka Doncic: Top 5 pick when available

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by _RTM_, Jun 24, 2016.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

How can Ayton be a bust? He’s the most sure fire thing in the draft. Easily the highest floor.

2. omgTHEpotential

Doncic is an elite 3pt shooter. He's a better shooter than Young.

3. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

32% from 3 on 5 attempts per game <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 36% from 3 on 10 attempts per game

his 3 pointer has regressed every year

4. omgTHEpotential

Doncic is playing against grown men. Trae is playing against college kids. Also, Trae having a 36% percentage over a big sample is indicative of that percentage being his true ability (which makes it a pretty average ability), whereas in Doncic' case the smaller sample size provides some possibility for variance playing a part in it.

For example,

In Euroleague, Doncic is 41/121 (33.9%). If we took Trae's attempts since January 1st, 2018 (a more comparable sample size to Doncic), he's a 32.9% 3PT shooter (51/155). And that's against a far inferior competition, AND being 1 year older than Doncic.

Bottom line: they're not on the same tier as prospects. Far from it.

BigO likes this.
  5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Agree with your point about Doncic's facing better overall competition vs Young's, though it can also be argued that Young faces higher level athletes.

I think both are elite players for their age, but would rate Young as CURRENTLY clearly the better shooter. In LigaACB (spanish league) and Euroleague games this season, Doncic is currently shooting .323% (65 for 201) vs Youngs (101 out of 276) for .366%. https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/luka-doncic-1.html.

Not only does Young have a higher 3 point % than Doncic he also takes what I'm assuming to be the much more difficult shots. I've watched 6 of his games and his attempts are Curry level ridiculous. Its common to see him pull up from 28ft, off the dribble from 25+ with a man in his face and just a lot of terrible attempts honestly.

Furthermore Young has a higher ft% than Doncic .858% vs .815% this season, which is supposedly a much better indicator of three point % in the nba than comparing college 3pt %.

Both are really young and their future potential growth is wide open, so I won't assume too much from their current 3pt % or statistics, let alone think that its indicative of their "true abilities" or how it would translate to the NBA.

With that said, I'd agree that Doncic is the better prospect, based on his size, skill and level of competition as well as Young's limited size and results vs elite defenders (ie sexton etc).

If i had the first pick, I think I'm going with ayton, Doncic some where in the top 3 or 5 and Young somewhere in the top 5 or 7, but then again I havent been able to watch Doncic play aside from highlights/scouting videos so my impressions are pretty shallow.

#85 blahblehblah, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  6. omgTHEpotential

You should tune in to watch Real Madrid play on Feb 23rd. The physicality in Europe can't be compared to the NBA, let alone NCAA. Trae would get murdered. His percentages would drop too.

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Thanks! definitely will try to catch that since a lot of the NBA analyst I respect/listen to are ALL IN on Doncic. Something tells me I'm missing a lot from only watching the highlights lol.

As for Young, he's currently getting killed in NCAA so no need for the euroleague. He's honestly been shooting/playing terribly the past 6 to 7 games due either to a slump, fatigue, level of comp, or teams game planning against him. Whatever the reasons, I hope to watch more of him in March Madness.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dude seems to talk alot
    but the highlights are not great
    but
    Will be interesting to see

Rocket River

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

You must remember that he's playing in Europe vs TOP teams. And he is argubly best player in Europe right now at the age of 19... He's not playing vs kids/students but a grown men with some of them having NBA past. I mean he's leader of Real Madrid and I'm sure you heard about clubs biggest star Cristiano Ronaldo. That is their basketball section.

Highlights might not be super flashy but so is the Europe - smaller courts, more tactics, slower game. He will flourish in NBA and i have no doubt about it. I don't know if he will be superstar/all-star but he will superpass both Dragić and Rubio and that's without question.

For me Luka is kind of like white LeBron. Same talent for basketball but without genetic ability of athletic freak.

10. omgTHEpotential

Hard to generate amazing highlights as an 18 year old playing against top grown men outside NBA, as opposed to playing vs college kids most of whom won't even end up as professional players. ;)

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

He does have similar hight and standing reach measurements to Joe Johnson and Carmelo Anthony. I think he could survive his lack of quickness if he primarily plays a he 4 with secondarily playing the 3. He has a solid frame and could thrive there with a year or two in the gym.

12. omgTHEpotential

Defensively he's some sort of mix between the 3 and the 4, depending on the matchup (wherever it's easier to hide him). Offensively, he's definitely a PG.

13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Luka doncic is a way better prospect than Trea young.

Young is going to end up being a 6th man spark plug imo.

Doncic can be the 3rd most important player on a championship team imo.

I could be wrong but I do know doncic will be picked ahead of Young in the draft for a reason. He’s just the better player, some of it has to do with size but the kid just understands basketball at a level many never get to. He’s got a Lebron, Harden mind for the game of basketball. Does that mean he’s going to be as good as them? No I don’t think he even gets close those guys are two of the 25 best player in nba history Lebron being top 5. But his impact can be profound on any team.

I just think doncic would see major minutes on the rockets, warriors, Spurs and Boston right now.

To me that says a lot about him.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Comparing Doncic and Young is wrong IMO as they arent even in the same class in terms of prospects. Trae young has been terrible the last month and along with questions about his size and athletic ability I doubt any team will want to take him within the first 5 or even 7 picks.

Doncic is a consensus top 2 or 3 pick in most if not all draft boards, but I have to agree with Rocket River about not being impressed with his videos. I watched his most recent game and sadly he barely played 15 minutes with minimal impact. His highlight videos show what seem to be very good court vision, handles, a good looking jumpshot, range and ability to shoot of the dribble. However they also showed average speed, quickness and overall athleticsm. Furthermore the defenders in the video are either short white guys or big slow white guys guarding him (for the most part) which leaves me little evidence or clue of how he his ability to drive or defend will translate to the NBA.

I like the kids passing abilities, court vision, handles and shooting form (both set and off the dribble) but I'm not taking him over Ayton in the draft.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

16. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#3 with the obvious carry, not impressed.

17. Normalus

Normalus Member

You probably the one who thinks that Harden travels every damn time..carry? Loul

18. omgTHEpotential

If that would be called a carry, guys like Harden/Irving probably wouldn't be anything more than role players in the NBA :D Especially Irving - that dude carries the ball every single time he dribbles it, by your definition.

19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy pins the ball against his chest then dribbles again. I don’t see Harden or Irving doing that. Maybe people are impressed by this in Europe but that would get called a travel in the NBA every time.

20. Normalus

Normalus Member

Not sure if you are joking or what, but it's not even close to a travel mate..