1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka Doncic to Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jun 21, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think the Suns should have drafted him also.

This is the NBA of the 2018, not 1998 or 1998. Imagine a 3/4 some of Donic (PG), Booker (SG), Jackson / TJ Warren (SF/PF interchangeable). Sure, they still need a Clint Capela big. Or one like that, but who can also spread the floor. An Al Horford type as the best case scenario. Funny enough, that was Tyson Chandler 5-10 years ago (without the range).

A good GM can probably find one of these either in FA by overpaying (see DeAndre Jordan) or later in the draft. Even if it doesn't perfectly fit the mold. John Collins was drafted 19th last year. Clint himself. Jordan Bell. Even if you're going to draft a big high, I don't see how you can do it anymore if that big isn't at least competent, smart and average+ defensively... in today's NBA. That speaks to Jaren Jackson Jr... not Ayton or Bagley.

It's just crappy GM'ing. Which is why the Suns stay the Suns, the Kings stay the Kings.

I think of all the teams that passed, the Hawks passing is the least curious. They at least had a thought process and plan on paper that makes sense.... on paper. Try and be GSW east system wise. And Trae at least fits that mold, even though its unrealistic to think anyone can really truly be Steph like. They had a plan, got the guy they wanted, and an asset, likely to be a lotto pick again.

malakas and da_juice like this.
  2. omgTHEpotential

Whether he succeeds or busts, I just cannot wait for him to play his first game for the Mavs. Haven't been this intrigued by a prospect in quite some time.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I disagree all your points fit the Suns too. The Suns also had a plan, got the guy they wanted and are likely to be a lotto pick again. Just because it is 2018 doesn't mean big men are irrelevant, there's more to it than big men = bad and small men = good wtf. Suns need a face of the franchise, Ayton wants to be in PHX and he already has a following that's something they need and if they suck they can get the top pick again next year. Clint, Draymond...these guys are the exception not the norm if there was a redraft you think Clint and Draymond would still last past the lotto range? If you look at it in the NBA there are still more good SFs and guards than big men, thats why it is understandable to get Ayton even if Luka might be better similar to how people don't give Houston **** for picking Dream over Jordan.

Hawks having a plan doesn't matter if they pick a scrub, Toronto had a plan to draft the next Dirk when they drafted Bargnani and Cleveland drafted the next Wade in Waiters that didn't mean that was a good plan. What makes sense about drafting the next Steph or next Jordan next Lebron etc? Those guys are special players and their clones don't come out draft after draft. That's just lazy scouting, is this draft so deep it can contain the next Steph, Klay and Draymond? LOL!

The talent disparity between Luka and Trae is so big Trae might not even make it in the NBA he reminds me of Adam Morrison great college player, too unathletic to play in the NBA. At least Ayton's floor is still NBA starter he has 0% chance of being a bust Young is probably gonna be worse than Seth Curry.

As for the pick they're gonna get, didn't already draft their pg, sg and pf? Unless their next draft is the next Lebron or the next Shaq they won't have space in their lineup.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Workouts are overrated anyway it doesn't prove anything.

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

Seems like they're having fun with Dennis Smith Jr.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hahah. Wot

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

so you are saying he will be as great as LeBron since you laugh at my statement that he won't?

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Ohhhh no.

Ohhhhhhhhhh no.

MorningZippo likes this.
  9. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Not sure if it's been posted here yet. A great video analyzing Luka's defense, supposedly his biggest weakness after athleticism.

10. JayZ750

Trae might not make it in the NBA... in the same way Steph might not have.

The truth is you never know.

Mind you I’d have just drafted Doncic if I was any of them.

But relative to Ayton vs Trae... I’d swing Trae, even recognizing he might not be in the nba in 4 years.

Ayton has shown zero ability to defend. Maybe just due to effort. Indont know. But the upside of KAT is tempting... but without the defense way less impactful in the game.

Relative to the Hawks trade. They picked up an extra lotto pick. Should t require Rocket science to explain how valuable that is lol.

If the Suns really wanted a big, IMO they should have traded back a few spots and taken Jaren Jackson Jr and got extra value.

Nobody really knows how any of these guys will turn out quite yet. But if I’m looking at upside I’ll take al Horford over KAT. Just more impactful to winning.

Also not that you can’t find value throughout the draft or there haven’t been great bigs drafted early... but Clint, Dray, DeAndre, Gobert, Jinich, baby gasol, Jordan Bell, John Collins, Steven Adams, Myles Turner, etc etc. sure you have your ADs and Embiids.

But more often than not with bigs GMs overvalue offense high in the lottery and undervalue defense. Ok for guards. Not for bigs. In today’s nba. Imo

#270 JayZ750, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    malakas likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

So you'd rather have a guy who will be out of the league in 4 years vs a guy who can't defend but will definitely be in the league in 4 years? Lotto picks are supposed to be used on blue chip rookies not high risk high reward rookies.

Sure Al Horford is more impactful for winning but you ain't choosing between Horford and Ayton, it's between Trae Young and Ayton. As far as defense goes Ayton is still better defensively than Young, and offensively Ayton shot well and also rebounded well, Young's like Lonzo Ball without any athleticism, played like garbage in SL with 38% FG and got blown by SL level talent. At least Ball only needs to fix his shot and he is an instant star, how do you fix Young's athleticism?

If you are looking at undervalued gems there are more guards that pan out in the lower picks than big men, that's just a fact so not sure why you are listing out all these big men it's far easier ti get a decent guard late in the draft than a big man.

Today's NBA requires athleticism, it doesn't matter how skilled you are if you are slow AF and isn't super athletic you aren't gonna get the separation you need to take your shots. That's why although Young is one of the most skilled rookies in SL he only shot 38%.

12. JayZ750

Young could be out of the league. The same Way Steph might not have made it. Seeing as Trae put up similar performances to steph in their first summer leagues - actually I think Trae shot better than Steph who wasn’t outperformed by the two Anthony’s on his team... nevermind that Trae is also younger than steph was. Nobody pegged steph as mr athletic either. He seems tobave planned out. Lol.

Which is another simple way of saying Trae has Lower downside.

I’m not comparing Ayton to Trae btw. I was comparing Ayton to Jaren Jackson Jr. thought that was obvious.

We shall see how they all pan out. Trae absolutely has more downside so we shall see.

As I’ve noted many times... I’d have chosen Doncic number 1 anyway.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I hope they suck.

King1 and da_juice like this.
  16. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

So...is this normal for an NBA practice? Was it a joke? Or did Luka really become this arrogant? (I'm hoping for the 2nd option...)

17. bmelo

bmelo Member

He grew up in spain. Hes lighthearted thats joke for sure

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i hope they play good enough to revive capt jackass videos

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

is this a joke?

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I want him to suck because Mavs and Real Madrid.