1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lonzo Ball or Trae Young

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Oct 27, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lonzo being better than Trae isn't happening. Their won't be much of a conversation in the coming years. the only thing keeping it as one is that its only been a year in the league. trae is already ahead in terms of actual talent and the gap is only going to get bigger.

2. Lovemachine2000

Keep digging bro, we'll revisit this mid-season.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Lonzo major flaw is his lack of shooting. He is otherwise, quite talented and physically gifted. Supremely athletic, great size, can d up, court vision, and handles. If he can learn to hit the spot up 3, he would be a very solid player. I can see him having a similar impact as a Lamar Odom type. A dude that isn't great at anything but good to very good at a lot of things.

That said, Trae Young’s offensive game is leaps and bounds better than Lonzo’s. Young is much more likely to become an All Star level player and a first option type guy, whereas Lonzo can carve out a nice career as a valuable role player. Fresh start with a young team in New Orleans should be a nice change of scenery for him.

#63 Elephant810, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    don grahamleone likes this.
  4. lionaire

lionaire Member

He put on MUSCLE. It's completely possible that the added muscle could make him faster and quicker. The kid was already fragile and you're suggesting he slims down?

Young is like Harden in the fact that he doesn't need to rely on quickness to beat his man. He does a great job at reading defenders' feet and changing speeds when he needs to. Gaining strength will help his finishing abilities and defense more so than getting quicker would. It's almost as if you missed that 36 bomb he dropped on our heads.

YOLO likes this.
  5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Should he also ask Nash how quick he needed to be? Nash was neither muscular nor athletic, he just killed guys with skill.

YOLO and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  6. Lovemachine2000

I keep
    I keep hearing that Lonzo is exceptionally athletic, that's inaccurate. Lonzo is an above average athlete in the NBA, but far from being "supremely athletic", and certainly not enough to give him a distinct advantage in-game. Trae's range and play-making, on the other hand, are truly exceptional.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Right, Ball's major flaw is shooting that's why he only shot 33% from 3. OTH Young's 3pt shooting is his asset that's why he shot a ridiculous 32% from 3. Oh wait.

Young can definitely become an allstar, first of all he plays in the LEASTERN conference esp next season, like all but 4 of east teams are tanking that will pump up his stats along with his "Curry" hype. Ball is not a high usage guy he is more of a sidekick player like Klay Thompson so obv he gets disrespected on the board.

But when it comes to actually winning games Lonzo Ball is a lot better it's like comparing Stephon Marbury to Tayshaun Prince. Young has the flashier offensive game so he seems great but his efficiency is pedestrian, he just lacks athleticism to finish effectively and he gets owned defensively.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i would pick lonzo today. he has a sweet stroke. unparalleled form, ray allen-like, but better.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nash skill: 43% 3 pt in the WEST being guarded by Bruce Bowen

Young skill: 32% 3 pt in the LEAST being guarded by Kemba Walker and tanking teams.

Young needs quickness as his skill is far below Nash.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Corey Brewer had 51 pts did you miss the bomb he dropped on his opponents' heads?

Harden is beating his man Young hasnt shown he can beat his man cuz his FG, TS and 3 pt are average to below average while playing in the East. When Young shoots 3 pts better than 35% and TS higher than 60% then ok he is beating his man just like Harden.

Bulking up makes you more susceptible to injury that's why Lebron cut down his weight as he grew older. Adding muscle means adding weight, and weight slows you down unless the muscles are all in your legs. A bigger bicep won't make you run faster lmao. Defense also depends on athleticism so the heavier he is the slower he is and the worse his defense will be. Look at great perimeter defenders in the NBA they all tend to be thin and lanky rather than big and bulky dudes. Trevor Ariza was a better defender than Shaq and Tayshawn Prince is a better defender than Paul Pierce.

#70 roslolian, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  11. MrButtocks

I didn't even bring up Nash, you did. I'm not comparing them as players, as I don't think they're very similar in style or talent, just pointing out the flaw in your comparison. You basically said Young shouldn't add muscle, just look at Nash! He should lose weight and add speed! Well, Nash didn't do that either.

I get your argument. Young could benefit from more from quickness than muscle. Your example just sucks. Instead of using Nash as an example of not needing muscle, how about bringing up a guard that lost weight and benefited from the added quickness?

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Terrible examples. I just mentioned one game from the string of good games he had especially since it was against our Rockets and I don’t suspect that people on here watch very many games of other teams based on their posts. I recommend using his numbers from post-ASG as that was when he finally found his groove. Even then it’s important to keep in mind that he’s only a rookie.

He came into the league underdeveloped as far as his body went. He’s adding LEAN MUSCLE. He’s just now beginning to get where he needs to be physically as a pro. Now if he adds 10lbs every single summer for the next few years then we have reason to be concerned but him putting on weight like every young player does is not an issue. Just have a look at what Giannis looked like as a rookie and compare it to now. He added damn near 50 lbs and is still quick, athletic and light on his feet as ever.

Lovemachine2000 and BaselineFade like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Giannis is called the Greek Freak, you said I have terrible examples here you are comparing freaking Giannis to Trae Young SMH. Because we all know the most similar player in the world to Trae Young is Giannis, so everything Giannis does Trae Young can do as well. LMAO the only thing Giannis and Young have in common is their 3 pt shot percentage.

Lean muscle? Oh yeah? Are you an insider? Do you have access to Young and his medical results? How do you know what kind of muscle Young put on? You havent even seen the dude play here you are saying he will be the American freak lmao.

Young is indeed still a rookie but when you compare guys like KD, Klay and Steph even as rookies they shot better than Young did last season. I'm not saying Young is a bad player but the hype he is getting is not commensurate with how he played, citing one 30+ pt game against the Rox is not proof thats why we have 1 season averages.

After the all star break all the leastern teams who cant make the playoffs start tanking and all the Western teams go into bloodbath mode no wonder Doncic started playing worse 2nd half and Young started playing great.

RichieBanks likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nash had a lot of speed and quickness, PHX played 7 secs or less offense how can he execute that if he wasnt quick? Nash also played a lot of soccer obv you can't do that if you don't run quickly. Nash has never needed to lose weight because he was always thin to begin with. Obv Nash was physically limited but the same is true for Young, he is even less athletic than Steve Nash was so he needs to lose more weight and add more quickness than Nash if he wants to be effective.

15. lionaire

lionaire Member

You're just having a hard time understanding how the human body works. It's not as simple as: increased muscle = increased weight = decreased speed. Adding muscle can allow the body to generate more power and force. That in turn can be used to become quicker, faster, absorb more contact etc. When you add too much muscle, sure, it's possible that it'll slow you down. But again, Young came into the league under-developed from a physical standpoint.

The reason I pointed out the single game vs the Rockets is bc is just sounds as if a casual like yourself doesn't watch many non-Rockets games. Again, if you take note of the stretch of basketball he was playing during that span and including the game vs the Rockets, you can see what he's capable of.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Gotta stay flexible when you put on muscle.

lionaire likes this.
  17. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

Lonzo definitely has the skills, is much bigger, and is the better defender. He's already got really good court vision and the passing is there, he just needs to work on his shooting. I just don't think it was fair to judge Ball on his time with the Lakers, because it was such a sh*t show over there. I would like to see him with his new team first, and then we'll see. At this point in time, Trae is the better player. But I feel like Ball can have the potential to be better. Let's see how he fairs without the LA pressure and now with less Distraction from his Dad. This should be the year he either breaks out or is considered a Bust.

MrButtocks likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Like I said it depends on where the muscles are located. It's pretty simple your legs are what you use to be quicker, faster and stronger. More muscle in your legs can definitely increase your speed. But muscle in other areas of your body can and will slow you down, you do understand bicep curls wont make you faster right?

The article just said he added muscle he didnt say where, if it was evenly distributed then there will be little to no quickness improvement in fact there will be bigger injury risk as he carries more weight while running up and down. Trae Young will always ne underveloped physically, there will be no diff between him adding 16 pounds or 20 pounds because he will never overpower guys like WB or Damian Lilliard. If he goes in the lane he will get swatted by guys like Giannis no matter how much weight he puts on. He will never have a Zionesque highlight of ripping the ball from his opponents hands and dunking it. In fact adding weight can just harm him because it will change his shot, his 3 pt % was already pedestrian at 32% if it gets worse then he will be a below average player in the NBA.

Tbh we dont know what Trae Young is capable of, nobody knows because he is just on his 2nd year. I'm just saying solely based on his performance last year it was more sizzle than steak, more hype than results. Just solely based on their performance Ball was the superior player, like I said 2nd half eastern teams started tanking already so what was Young capable of? Shooting 32% vs tanking teams? Lol!

Also calling me a casual when you just compared trae Young to Giannis makes me LoL. Giannis can put on 50 pounds because he is the greek freak, Young could die if he puts on 50 pounds of muscle in a short timespan.

#78 roslolian, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  19. MrButtocks

Do you have an example of someone who lost weight and gained quickness?

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

MrButtocks likes this.