1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lonzo Ball or Trae Young

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Oct 27, 2018.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If you has to choose between these two players for a starting point guard, who would you choose?

2. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Trae all day. He reminds me of a Steph Curry-lite.

Ball sucks - I don't get the hype with his style of play.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I hate autocorrect.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

ball all day every day and twice on tuesdays

roslolian likes this.
  5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Here's the thing about Ball, people say he will be a superstar or comparable to player, like Kidd. But, Kidd was an MVP caliber player with some elite skills and intangibles.

I've seen more potential in players Doncic, Young, Sexton, and Mitchell with the Jazz. They have displayed qualities that could player...elite, mostly the shooting ability and playmaking.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Trae Young. He has pretty good vision and an excellent range.

If he was a little bigger he would be lethal.

I still dont see what is so special about Lonzo other than his dad.

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Young is Monta Ellis 2.0. Inefficient chucker.

#7 BigggReddd, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    jamisonrocket likes this.
  8. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Young for sure. Ball will be playing in Italy in 4 years.

9. Lovemachine2000

I'd take Young over Ball. I would much, much rather have Doncic, but Young has shown flashes of great potential in the first few games, especially his playmaking skills.

10. omgTHEpotential

It's pretty close. Does picking Lonzo mean that LaVar would also be included? Because that would factor in my decision. I would also like to wait a bit and see if Lonzo's shooting splits hold up over the course of the season (currently 49/41/80). If they do, I think I'm taking Lonzo over Young quite comfortably.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

wat? his dad is special?

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Special as in note-worthy, and not in a good way.

13. SAT Prep

SAT Prep Member

Ball seems to have improved his shot. He's a better defender. He's a good passer. He's athletic. He would definitely help out with our defensive woes. Also, who cares if his dad is loud. The media already sh*ts all over us. And lastly, while Young is a cool last name, Ball is far and away a better basketball last name.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Trae Young's driving and finishing ability is not comparable to Curry's.

Maybe his shooting will one day reach Curry's level, but he's shooting 32% from range right now. Curry shot 43% his rookie season.

I feel like the media is forcing this comparison and people are eating it up. Trae Young looks like a promising young player who could develop into an All Star soon. Curry is a 3 time NBA champion, lethal scorer from everywhere, multiple MVP's and possibly the best shooter in the history of the game. Give Trae a break. He's had 1 good game, which is plenty given the position he's in.

roslolian and plutoblue11 like this.
  15. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Trae Young. I don’t trust Lonzo jumper.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

You don't trust Ball's 46% but trust Trae Young's 39% lol

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Much as I despise Lavar Lonzo Ball is far and away the better player over Trae Young it isnt even close.

This is the ultimate "perception vs reality" test Trae Young reminds you of Steph Curry while Ball has been known to shoot horribly. But if you just look at the stats you will see Trae Young is just shooting 39% Fg and 32% from 3 vs Ball's 45% fg and 41% from 3.

Trae Young's shooting is a joke and he is doing it in the leastern conference where half the teams are tanking. If Trae Young was an undrafted rookie he would be nailed to the bench or even cut, you don't play a defensive liability and give him opportunities when he shoots this bad, lets get real.

At least Lonzo is tall and extremely athletic, he can Westbrick it up in games and contribute across the board. Trae Young is short and extremely unathletic thats why his FG is so bad he can't finish or get open enough to make his shots.

RudyTBag and plutoblue11 like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Curry shots 40% from 3 his rookie year.

Young is shooting 32% thats not Curry lite the league average is 35% that means he is shooting worse than the average player so far from 3.

The only thing Young has so far is play making so if you take Ricky Rubio, make him shoot worse, make him unathletic and suck at defense would he be better than Lonzo Ball? I don't think so.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Lonzo can do more to change the game than Young can. Rebounds well, great court vision, not careless with the ball, good defender, his finishing around the rim has dramatically improved, and somehow that busted shot goes in. It seems like he knows his role and has adjusted his game accordingly. I don't see him ever being a lead guy on a team, but I see him being an important role player on a championship/contending team some day.

Lonzo is my pick.

Easy and roslolian like this.
  20. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lonzo was one of the worst shooters last season.