1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Little Yao' is the next big thing

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketsMVP, Oct 31, 2005.

1. RocketsMVP

RocketsMVP Contributing Member

'Little Yao' is the next big thing

By AP

http://www.torsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Basketball/2005/10/31/1286170-sun.html

MACAU -- He's being billed as China's next Yao Ming. With Yao missing from the Chinese lineup, Yi Jianlian is the focus of attention on the basketball court at the Macau East Asian Games.

And the interest in 18-year-old Yi, nicknamed "Little Yao Ming," is expected to build up because he could be eligible for next year's NBA draft.

The nearly seven-foot centre already has earned high praise for his athleticism and toughness. In Macau, he's demonstrated a shooting touch as well.

HUMBLE

However, Yi played down comparisons with Yao after an impressive performance yesterday in China's 70-57 victory against Japan.

Yi was humble when asked whether he had assumed Yao's leadership role in the absence of the big Houston Rockets star.

"Without Yao Ming, our whole team has had to play physical, because I'm not Yao Ming," he told reporters after the victory against Japan.

Yi's most exciting feature of all: potential. Still in his teens, Yi could grow more, bulk up, and develop a full arsenal of skills. Yao has said that at 16, he didn't possess Yi's skills.

Yesterday, Yi gave a glimpse of what he could become.

He showed his range, swiveling near the baseline for a dunk, making the short jumper, converting from just inside the three-point line and dominating the boards. He finished with a game-high 23 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I hope they don't put too much pressure on this kid, but he seems like the next big thing to come out of China.

He's got great athleticism but really needs to put on weight. I can sort of see him being a AK-47 light, long body that can run the floor really well.

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Look on the bright side, he will have lot less pressure than Yao. When Yao came to the league, everybody was expecting him to become the next Shaq. When this kid comes, people would just compare him to Yao, the standard is whole lot lower.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Darn...I was hoping Yao was going to get his own little dude commercials for Sprite or something.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Rockets should trade JHoward for this Yi next year. ;)

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

if he is little Yao, i would hate to see the size of his arms :)

7. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

probably going to the first pick of 2006....i guess the Raptors have something to look foward to. :D

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

LOL, I thought you guys are already well-manned in the middle with Chris Bosh. :D

By the way, I found a few clips of this kid in the old threads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 RocketForever, Oct 31, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

How tall is he again. The Nba would love to market that matchup with Shaq leaving the game to the younger studs.

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

BURN!!

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

He is listed at 7'1" and 230 on USABASKETBALL.COM.

12. hdd

hdd Member

Yi vs Japan...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

^^ Look at how much the backboard is shaking on that first dunk. If that was Yao, he would have brought the whole damn thing down.

14. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Wow, that spin move on the last cilp was like something out of James Worthy's playbook.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

That spin move was almost perfect.

The pivot foot moved a little but the kid did a good job of selling it as legit and quick enough to explode & finish. Ming Yao does a similar baseline spin move but because of his size he isn't quick enough to do it consistently well and many times he moves his pivot foot thereby resulting in turnover. Also Yao makes the mistake of hooking his defender (but I attrribute that to some extent to his much superior height....making his use of his off-hand look unfortunately like an elbow to the head).

16. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

From what I've seen, he still has a lot of potential. He has the height and the skills and is improving significantly. However, he is not as fast as some think and is still a defensive liability. He still needs more strength in the top but man does he have those much coveted hops. Won't put him as a poor man's garnett because lack of speed, passing skills and defense, but is probably closer to a poor gasol right now. will be very interesting to see how he does in the coming years.

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't think he has anywhere near the offensive skills as Gasol. Chinese Stro is what I'd go for (Not quite as athletic, but doesn't sit over booboos).

18. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

From what I seen from him this summer playing in the Asian Tournament. He is athletic, but not aggressive. Mostly a face to the basket player, raw post skills. Can shoot mid to long range jumper, but far from consistent. Block some shots every now and then, but not a dominant force on the defensive end. Starting to sound familiar to you?
    [​IMG]

19. qrui

qrui Member

lol. i guess thats the problem with the backboard, they didnt prepare for dunks like this. no need for yao, stro can probably bring it down. hahaha...

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Swift was picked #2, this kid is most likely going to be a top five pick, at least a top ten.