1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Little Mosque on the Prairie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Grizzled, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

This is a new CBC sitcom that just started last week and that’s been creating a bit of a buzz in the US too, in spite of the fact that it’s not on US television yet. It’s a pretty standard character driven sitcom and there is nothing very special about it other than the fact that it’s centred on a Muslim community in a small town on the Canadian prairie. The ads leading up to the show were things like, “Little Mosque on the Prairie ... coming Sunni!” It’s also been called halal-arious and “mosque see tv,” so you get the idea of the level of humour it’s shooting at. The first episode is on Youtube now if any of your are interested in watching it. I’m interested in what the Muslims here think about it and how it handles the various Muslim issues it touches on, if any of you would care to comment. :)
    First half (15 minutes)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtLh-fkOUE4&mode=related&search=
    Second half (note that there’s an ad at the beginning)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jti2pJ77q8I&mode=related&search=

2. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

It just might be lop-sided enough to make people see otherwise...

3. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Thant's funny stuff.

Thanks!

4. Chopped

Chopped Member

im muslim and I find nothing wrong with the show, its quite funny.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

It's a little over-the-top, but it's pretty funny. It definitely shows promise.

6. Fatty FatBastard

I liked it. Funnier than most sitcoms here.

7. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

It’s good to hear that people like it and that it’s not offending the Muslims here. It's had a very positive response generally. The CBC ordered 8 shows this year so it’s on for only the next couple of months, but if that goes well they will be ordering 13 more for next year, and US networks have expressed an interest in it so you could see it on US TV next year.

It’s interesting, though, and troubling, that there are a few non-Muslims who are attacking the show. This article I found to be simply disgusting. It’s so factually untrue and is such thinly veiled hard core bigotry that it truly shocked me.
    http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MTQwY2UyMDgxMWFjYjE3YTlkMDY5ZWFjYjA0NDgyMWM=

Here’s the website for the show, btw, and as a trivia note the guy who plays Yasir also plays a main character on 24 this year as Chloe’s ex-husband.
    http://www.cbc.ca/littlemosque/

8. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Looks hilarious. Too bad American network TV is too preoccupied with "reality" television to put something on like this. It would make me watch network TV again.

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Am I the only one that didnt find it funny?

I think the show is trash... then again I thought 24/lost/ and family guy are trash shows as well.

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Will and Grace?

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The fat woman has a very annoying voice.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't think it was very funny. It seemed kind of 'over the top' silly. I did laugh a couple of times, but if it was on TV here I wouldn't TiVo it. It seems like a solid and creative idea for a show, though. I'd rather it be on here than the 5th episode of 'Let's Make a Deal' (or whatever that show is called) this week.

14. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Absolutely.

15. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I find it very funny, but it’s a certain style of humour and I’m not surprised that not everyone finds it as funny. One fairly unique thing about the show is that it doesn’t use a laugh track. The most popular comedy series in Canada for the past several years, a show called Corner Gas, doesn’t use a laugh track either, so that wasn’t a big difference for me, but I can’t think of a US comedy off hand that doesn’t use a laugh track so that might be a bit different for you folk. (Corner Gas is full of Canadian references and guest appearances by Canadian celebrities, so I’m not sure it will ever show up on US television. Other Canadian comedies that have used a limited number of distinctly Canadian references, like the Red Green Show and Kids in the Hall, have done well in the US, though).

The big issue with the show is not how funny it is, however, it’s the subject matter and how it handles the issues it touches on. I’ve only seen a few articles like the NationalReview one I posted above. I’m not that familiar with that site but that article exposes that author as a true bigot, and the other similar articles that I’ve seen have also clearly been based on bigotry and essentially an absolute refusal to see any Muslim as anything other than a terrorist. Thankfully those articles have been few in number.

16. Omer

Omer Member

I'm a Muslim and from the first 7 minutes of it, this show looks pretty good, thanks for letting me know.

Hopefully this will come to the US too and be able to ease the tensions and allow non-Muslim Americans a look at Muslim life and culture.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does it touch on and find humor in Sunnis and Shiites massacring each other?

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

no, and a show like "7th heaven" doesnt touch on and find humor in priests raping young boys...

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sex in the City...

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I guess this show can't tackle Muslim on Muslim violence (probably more serious than western discrimination) until 7th heaven deals with priests fondling boys. I guess I didn't realize there was that rule.