1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

List your top 3 anime series.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldfanofTmac, May 11, 2016.

1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Without spoiling them, list your top 3 anime series that you would recommend anyone to watch and why.

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Yu yu hakusho
    Dbz
    Future boy conan

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Missed the why

Yu yu - teaches friendship, loved that old feel drawing.
    Dbz - teaches perseverance/goosebumps legendary moments
    Conan - awesome story!

4. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Hmm...it's been a while since I watched anime. Being old school, here are some of mine:

1. Gundam Wing - Aside from the mecha/robots, I was drawn with the political vibe and the struggle for power of their world leaders and identity by the characters. This is my personal favorite.
    2. Slam Dunk - Basketball + comedy = FUN
    3. Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X - A journey of a man of many regrets is what lead me to this series. Aside from the sword action, it deals with the troubles of peace and the necessity of violence to achieve peace. The Shishio Arc has a lot of sense into it. Although I disagree with the necessity of violence, it did made me think. That villain is bad ass.

5. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Very well written story throughout, one of the best series across all genres IMO
    5 Centimeters Per Second - Deep love story, only for people who have been through long distance relationship I guess
    Anohana - tear-dropping story and OST, especially if you ever lost a loved one

Dankstronaut likes this.
  6. Swishh

Swishh Member

I enjoyed it, but found it overrated.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

So many to choose from and we can do non-Japanese origin series yea? From my childhood I enjoyed:

Doraemon
    Saint Seiya
    Sailormoon

Don't ask. I want to put DBZ but they spend way too much time staring into each other or shock face for like 30 minutes for every 1 minute of action. Also Pokemon and Samurai Jack as notable mentions.

Recently I enjoyed:

Star Wars Series

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Trigun

Blurr#7 likes this.
  9. hvic

hvic Member

I use to read the doraemon comics

Jontro likes this.
  10. baubo

baubo Member

The most memorable animes are probably Monster, Haruhi, and Fate Zero. Not sure I'd recommend any of them except maybe Fate Zero though.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dragon Ball Z
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Cowboy Bebop

Even If you know nothing of anime you know about these gems. No explanation needed.

Death Note - I never thought some dude writing in a book could be so damn entertaining.

Gunparade March - I was tricked into thinking this was just a regular mecha anime. There is some romantic s*&t going on in the midst of the action and I caught feelings.. underrated IMO.

I've watched a lot of anime and I am aware my list is light work and cliched. They may not be the BEST anime of all time, but my fondest memories came from watching these anime as a kid. I did five in my list because three is just ridiculous.

12. Swishh

Swishh Member

How does Yu Yu Hakusho age? It's old but I liked HxH.

And Death Note was brilliant for the first half. Took a hit in quality after that though.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Man DBZ is trash to me. That's my hot take. You enjoyed it when you were 12 or something but watch that now, episode by episode. Half of it is just two guys floating across from each other talking pure nonsense then throwing energy at each other. It was incredibly impactful, I'll give it that.

It's just one of those things that you watch back as a adult and chuckle at how silly it is.

Jontro likes this.
  14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

1. Shin Sekai Yori - best story I have seen in an anime. Beautiful.
    2. Code Geass - best all-around anime in terms of characters/action/plot.
    3. Fafner Dead Aggressor and Exodus - wasn't expecting to put this that high but I watched it recently so possibly recency bias. I'm not sure why it's not more popular. This series is straight up brutal and forgiving. Tons of character death and very unforgiving. Lengthy series though (prequel movie, first series, movie and then the second series).

Honorable mentions: Death Note, Gundam 00, Fate/Zero, FMA

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Your hot take is ether. I completely agree. I just cant go back, sit and watch it and say I enjoyed as much as I did when it was on Toonami.

Naruto gets no love on here? The main story with Itachi and Sasuke with Naruto thrown in is so intricately done when it comes to detail. Besides the cheesy, 'I love my friends and will do anything for them' lines I love this series. Also not cool to do all them flashbacks and string you along for them to add episodes.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've heard One Peace was really good. Anyone seen it? What is it about?

17. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

It's like Drag-on Ball, but with pirates. Yarrrr!!

(plus more gratuitous cleavage)

Jontro likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Steins;Gate, perfect blend of comedy/drama/plot intrigue. GOAT IMO, but it's on the slower side, and not for everybody.

Spice and Wolf. Probably not all time great by itself, but it gets extra points for being completely original given its drama comes from buisiness deals.

Psycho Pass. Probably will be a common choice, but it lives up to the hype.

Elfen Lied, madoka magicka, attack on Titan are other greats.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Toonami is all you need to say. Encompasses everything.

Psycho Pass
    Full Metal
    DBZ
    Code Gayass

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol watching that stupid show.

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.