1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Cars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 30, 2018.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Ok word of advice. I bought my dream car (well Suv) 10 years ago. It was used (just over a year old). It was probably the worst decision I have ever made. I bought a 2006 Range Rover Sport supercharged remi red(color). The first couple of years under warranty was ok but the servicing and the gas my god it was expensive. I remember I had my wood panels on my door crack. Thank god still under warranty as they were 300 a piece and had to be shipped from England as with the windshield that was cracked had to be shipped overseas that costed 1700 to replace. The real dumb part of me other than paying 60k for an used vehicle was keeping it after warranty. I remember it when came time for the "big" service where they had to change the transmission oil. That oil alone cost me 60 dollars a quart. Long story short the air suspension went on it so I sold it 5 years after I bought it. I took a bath on that SUV. Don't buy a Range Rover Sport unless you have money to burn. Now I drive a 2013 Sonata Hybrid with the tech upgrade great car and great mileage. I get like 600 miles a tank in the city.

#121 AleksandarN, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

#ThoughtsAndPrayers

3. KingCheetah

Doug bought a Range Rover from Car Max with the bumper to bumper warranty -- he's saved tens of thousands of dollars -- the amount of serious repairs is just ridiculous.

CCity Zero and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Love Doug's videos. Have you seen maserati quattro video of his

Mine was the Range Rover Sport but same thing. Oh I forgot to mention I was driving on the freeway one time and the car would not go over 50 miles per hour. the computer on the dash said engine system fault and the computer limited the vehicle to 50. Once I got it to the dealership. they told me they had to replace the supercharger. Was still under warranty at the time thank god. Would hate see what the bill was for that.

#124 AleksandarN, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    KingCheetah likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

The simple expensive things that break over and over again is just amazing -- how do you make a car that bad in the 21st century? Is the air bag suspension made with water balloons -- his suspension went out 3 times in 1.5 years. Even with the warranty just having to constantly arrange to take a vehicle down for repairs would get so old -- it works for Doug because he's making lots of money on his YouTube channel, but for anyone else it'd be a nightmare.

Sajan likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Outside of the supercharger, nothing major went wrong? It seems like you just got the typical luxury car tax where everything is quadrupled in price because they figure you can afford it. 60 dollars a quart for a trans that holds 13 quarts is insane for something that is a Ford transmision. The Motorcraft version of the stuff costs 4 bucks.

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

For some reason I never imagined there were car people here, good to see people know Doug and other great car channels.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  8. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The transmission in question was designed for Range Rover and BMW so it wouldn't take regular Transmission fluid like the rest of the Ford vehicles unfortunately. Yeah the big repair bill was the air suspension which was 8000.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

You are supposed to buy two cars when you buy a Land Rover. One to drive most of the time since the Land Rover will be in the shop.

sammy and CCity Zero like this.
  10. Bandwagoner

If you are going to buy a English car make sure it has a BMW engine at least. The supercharged Jag engine probably isn't the best choice.

11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Like bmw engines are reliable lol. Constantly wearing out rod bearings, and vanos problems for the last 15 years

12. Bandwagoner

Far better than Jags. They shot themselves in the foot with 15K miles oil changes. Letting the accountants save money because their marketing team gave free maintenance. The engineers are left holding bag as per lusual.

The BMW engine in the mclaren f1 has proved itself to be a winning combo.

The real take home is luxury cars are less convenient by most metrics, you don't just pay more money for them.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is exactly what I think of everytime I hear Range Rover, lol, I think Car Max changed their policy entirely on Rovers iirc (regarding warranty).

14. Buck Turgidson

They made incredibly good trucks back before everything got computerized. The D90/110 is a beast.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Consumer Reports.

[​IMG]

17. KingCheetah

It's strange how brands with different models that are exactly the same except for cosmetic changes will be ranked totally different.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Also weird how JD Power rankings are very different than Consumer Reports.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hmm we have a GMC Acadia. Hope we don't have too many issues with it. Kinda surprised to see it being a troubled vehicle as I thought it was supposed to be pretty solid. There's nothing especially unique about it that should make it problematic (relative to other GMCs/Chevys) as far as I know.

20. KingCheetah

JD Powers is initial car quality over the first 90 days -- consumer reports is long-term reliability.