1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Cars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 30, 2018.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Seems like a new car thread pops up once a month.

Lots of scattered information and disjointed discussions.

Trying to unite the houses in this thread.

Talk about anything relating to cars here. Used, new, deals, advice, rumors, news, fanboying, etc.

___

I'm in the market for a new sedan. Likely to pull the trigger on a lease at the end of this year.

So far I've been cross-shopping the following:

Honda Accord Touring 2.0
    Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0
    Kia Optima SX

These cars are virtually identical in terms of specifications and features, particularly in the case of the Sonata and Optima as they are cousins. My requirements are 250HP+, heated/cooled seats, android auto/apple carplay, and lane keep assistance/adaptive cruise technology. I've test driven them all and am equally impressed by all, but I'd say the Accord is just a smidge above the others. The Honda Sensing (driver assistance) is really impressive, at times on the highway it felt like the car was completely autonomous. The Kia/Hyundai system is no slouch either. I test drove a Passat but the LKA felt like it just kept ping-pongging me between lane lines instead of actually centering the car, bummer 'cause it's a nice ride.

A lot of which vehicle I end up going with may depend on the lease deals offered at the end of this year, but for now, I'd love to hear everyone's take on which car I should go with and why. Or if you're in the car business, let me know what you think I should be zeroing in on and when to get the best deal. Advice very much appreciated!

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I go with the Accord.

I’m a Honda guy. I’m on my 3rd Honda Pilot Touring SUV and they have always been money for me.

I have family that own the Accord you’re talking about and I love that car. Won’t give specifics other than I’ve owned many cars in my lifetime, and Honda has always done me right.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I want the Accord Sport with the 2.0 turbo -- the engine is a detuned version of the Civic R tamed a bit for family hauling duties.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is also on my radar in case the deals on the touring aren't great. It's almost the same car except you lose the ventilated seats.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I believe the suspension is more aggressive and it has a lower (1.5") stance -- I'd get it with the manual as well. I love the look of the new model -- it is like a BMW/ Audi hybrid (that isn't an accident either).

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'd recommend looking at a Mazda 6 if a sedan is what you're looking at.

I drive one, and I've been quite pleased with it.

2018 model comes with a turbo. I drive the GT version, ventilated leather, heated seats, sun roof, xenons, bose speakers etc.....nice ride for a small price tag.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I love the new Mazda6 (wife has a Mazda3 and we regularly get the 6 as a loaner when we're in service) , unfortunately it doesn't have Android auto or lane keep assist, so it's off my list. Same with the Camry.

Uprising likes this.
  8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah, Andoird auto is supposed to arrive in it this fall. No lane assist though, even in the 2018 model I think.

My wife drives another mazda too, we got her a cx5 a month or so ago. She loves it.

9. body slam

body slam Member

How are the accords with road noise?

10. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Driving an electric car is like a dream to me. No gas stations and no oil changes. I've always hated everything about shops and working on cars (besides cosmetic stuff). I said this in the other thread but I'm hoping to drive my current car until I can get an electric car that's affordable with say...250 mile range.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The number of cars with the auto stop-start feature that you cannot turn off is too damn high.

marky :), arkoe and HoustonTexas like this.
  12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I just bought a 2017 Lincoln MKZ. Has 350hp, heated and cooled seats, Apple CarPlay, lane assist, adaptive cruise, and park assist. Also the best panoramic roof in any car ever made.

13. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Ended up not purchasing an Audi because of this.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I used to not car about sun roofs and then I saw a panoramic roof for the first time ever in the Optima. It's a really nice feature. Makes the car almost feel like a Convertible.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Is this the "full stop = engine off" feature?

If so, yeah.

I love the auto lock/stop/hold braking feature though. Huge quality of life improvement for city driving.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Oh yeah, I agree. I hate the engine idle shutoff at a stop.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I would really like to get a Mustang again - not a new one but a used one that is about 2 or 3 years old. But I probably can't since I owe too much money on the car I have now.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The new accord is fantastic looking and highly regarded by every review I’ve seen. Easy choice really.

Toyota did a great job with the new Camry as well. But I think the Accord has a much better interior. Also available in a manual which hits the sweet spot.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I made a car thread before. Even had [Official] in the thread title.

Zboy, BigMaloe, Rox11 and 4 others like this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Was it to include every possible topic about automobiles in it like this one? If so, my condolences.

Jayzers_100 and Zboy like this.