1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let the current squad gel or acquire a superstar?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Feb 21, 2017.

1. atam

atam Member

I personally can't think of another superstar that will make us legitimate championship contenders unless his name is Anthony Davis, Lebron, or KD. Our squad is solid as we are now, we have some hiccups now and then, but have definitely exceeded all expectations thus far. Do we let the current squad establish some continuity and add a couple key role players in the next couple years, or do we need to acquire another superstar (and most likely give up a key role player i.e. EG10 or Rino)?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Unless a star falls into the lap, look for role player that can help.

DD

3. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

We already have our Anthony Davis/Lebron/KD, we need a secondary superstar. I think someone like a PG13 would put us in contention. We won't have high draft picks since we win too many games and I don't think any of our current young role players will break the threshold into super stardom so our only hope is to get a superstar.

ramotadab likes this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'd take a Jimmy Butler or Paul George

5. atam

atam Member

I'm not that sold on Jimmy Butler. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't think just adding him would really push us to the next level.
    PG13 would be incredible if we could get him.

6. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I think you always have to be looking to add another super star. When was the last time a team won a championship without more than 1?

7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

agree butler would make the rockets title contenders. hes a great defender and versatile scorer, gets to the FT line, and adequate passer. surrounded by all these shooters he would be even better.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I agree. Morey is always opportunistic but I dont think he will break up what we have going on unless its an offer that he cant refuse

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This is the effects these doubters have..

They have real fans confused that Harden, the MVP, is a second fiddle...:confused:

AceOfSpades likes this.
  10. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

FWIW, I've heard that Butler does not want to be on the Rockets simply because he is staying away from his family that basically abandoned him (and now won't stop bothering him because he's made it). He even goes out of his way to say he is not from Houston, but from Tomball.

EDIT: sauce (take it with a grain of salt since it's from Reddit)

#10 ShutURBiG!, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need Omer Asik. I'm serious.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no poll?
    I say let them gel mature and grow within...

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.
  14. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

we should trade for affalo!

15. papoose115

papoose115 Member

dallas mavs and before that? houston rockets. but id prefer pg13 over butler any day of the week

Stormy1234 and ramotadab like this.
  16. OTMax

OTMax Member

We will not acquire one, but obviously it should be a big or top 5 SF in the league and only ones we have maybe a shot at is Griffin.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Every once in a while a team like that will squeeze through. The Mavs weren't the best team that year, but it was the "teaching" year for Lebron. He learned from that year and won 3 rings in the next 5 years.

It's like the Texans argument with QB. Well, you CAN win a superbowl without a dominant QB, but it is so rare, and when you do so you're window is basically only that 1 year, why not try to other route?? You know, the one where you have a dominant QB.

In basketball terms, its the one where you know, you have 2 superstars, or 3 all-stars, etc. You know, the route that makes you a championship contender for 5+ years.

Of course you go strongly after more superstars. That's a no brainer. It doesn't mean you don't maintain flexibility to fill up the roster around Harden appropriately if you can't get that superstar.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Rockets have succeeded this year mostly because they established a offensive philosophy and got players that fit it. For the Rockets to succeed even better than they are, IMO, getting players that do what we need better than some of them do currently (Brewer) is the way to go.

Going after a superstar only makes sense to me if he fits our mold almost perfectly AND we dont have to sacrifice the pieces we need to make it work to do so.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Need at least one, maybe two, players that can do more on offense. Come playoff time this won't work as well with guys who aren't threats to drive and finish.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, when you have such supported cast, you always have to be looking to add another superstar.

But to answer your question
    And Wade.