1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s settle this: MJ or Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Aug 17, 2019.

?

Better scorer?

1. Harden

22.1%
  2. Michael Jordan

65.3%
  3. Too hard to decide

1.4%
  4. Too close to call

3.2%
  5. Refrain from choosing

8.1%
  1. photojoe

photojoe Member

"Let's settle this"

Because after Morey made that comment, basketball fans everywhere said "whoa, I wonder what ClutchFans thinks?"

napalm06 likes this.
  2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The question isn't who is the better player. The question is very specific. Who is the better scorer?

Put it this way, if you put money on who will have the highest ppg avg for a one month stretch during the regular season, who do you put your money on? Theoretically if they both were in their prime right now.

If someone asked me to put my money on will lead their team to the best playoff run, I'm taking Jordan every time.

CAN Jordan average higher ppg than Harden if he focused on it? Maybe. But odds are Harden will win that contest. Is that relevant? No.

3. fattz

fattz Member

MJ was part of the hype machine and didn’t disappoint but also got A LOT of calls, the Curry of his day. He sold tickets and made everybody money. The Bulls come to town = sells went up. As the marketing monster MJ still is today eclipses what he was on the court. The Bulls were a very talent team and well coached a much better place for MJ to shine than the Rockets will ever be for Harden. If the two were switched Harden’s stats would go even higher, IMO. Jordan’s IDK; the time at Washington says no.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

People aren't paying attention. The moment you start talking Jordan, people lose their minds.

Killatron 2000 and vlaurelio like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

nah, don’t condone this bullsh*t from Morey Tinman...the topic is “let’s clown James Harden because Morey wants to say a bunch of nonsense”

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

stuff like this also makes people just push back on analytics even more

JW86 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If I need someone to score in one isolated possesions, I'm picking Jordan.

Harden can be more efficient in a larger sample size due to his shot selection, but Jordan is the more versatile scorer where I can depend on him more to get the go to bucket.

Jordan has an amazing in-between game. It's heavily varied with a plethora of moves. Look at all his scoring moves when he doesn't have a dribble. Harden falls apart when he loses his dribble.

#47 fchowd0311, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  8. fchowd0311

I'm listening and thinking that Harden is a more talented scorer because of higher ts% is silly. Ts% has risen greatly as a leave average since the 90s. Every player takes signficantly more threes today. The type of shots Harden takes today we're discouraged by training staffs in the 90s.

Harden is a better ballhandler and a better three point shooter. Jordan is better at literally every other facet of scoring. This is shameful. People might think I rag on Harden all the time but I've always viewed him as a perennial top 5 player for the past 6 seasons. He's easily a top 25 player of all time. But comparing him to Jordan as almost equals even just on the offensive end is silly.

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

its different eras people. people talking about how MJ turned it up in the playoffs, but who was his competition back then? Im not trying to diss MJ, but pippen guarded the best offensive player. who did MJ guard that would really make him work? MJ won, but he was also always the favorite. he always had the better team in those times.

and please dont say the defense was better then, or pretend MJ didnt shoot a ton of FTs. being able to foul more does not = great defense. defenders today have to actually move their feet, longer, more athletic, guard multiple positions. its not even close IMO.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The poll question is who's the better scorer … Hands down that's Harden.

MJ is definitely the better all around player but Harden is probably the best scorer I've ever seen in 50+ years of watching this game

11. fchowd0311

Hands down Jordan is the better scorer. Harden has had 2 seasons where he has scored equal to or higher than Jordan's career average.

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The fact we're having this conversation is evidence the analytic era has no idea what real basketball looks like. Harden scores more points, but this is in a era with less defense, extra steps allowed & less physicality. Guys don't have to work as hard as they did then. When MJ gave you 50 you FELT IT. Basketball now is watered down & made for young 2K fans who care more about ratings than actually watching the game

With that said, please tell Morey to shutup. Things like this are unnecessary & put more pressure on us than needed

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I will never understand why some fans are obsessed with what random people or media say on Twitter, Reddit, or the First Take/PTI/Undisputed hot-take shows. Unless you have a ring, and maybe not even then, you aren't going to please those folks.

I think what Morey said will be appreciated by Harden and those within the Houston locker room. As far as groups beyond that... why should Daryl or any of us care?

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Jordan. But Harden is definitely up there.

16. Hassan Abdul-Ahmed

i think we need to throw hakeem abdul olajuwon in the debate. as a fellow muslim, i believe hakeem is the greatest ever player. it is extremely hard to fast during ramadan and still be putting the world beating performances he did

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's possible for someone to be a better scorer than Jordan and Jordan still be a better player, you guys. Stay calm.

Killatron 2000 and vlaurelio like this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't give a ***** about who the better scorer is. But I do know who the better champion is, though.

19. fchowd0311

True but Jordan was still the better scorer.

Highlyrated likes this.
  20. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

6 rings > 0 rings ,u decide