1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Left outraged by engineer's views on diversity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Aug 6, 2017.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they really did encourage people to make honest and open opinions then yes that is the risk. Otherwise what is the point of asking for honest opinions unless they are running a sting operation to root out people who harbor unpopular opinions. "All perspectives" by definition would mean views that many might consider offensive. What you're saying is that they really don't want to hear all opinions just the ones that are mild and inoffensive. That what they really want is for employees to self censor themselves when they ask for "all perspectives."

Then what did Google want when they encourage employees to express a diversity of views on diverse topics? If they wanted to avoid someone expressing an opinion that goes against what the company accepts then they shouldn't have encouraged that type of forum.

Let's consider Clutchfans D&D for example. This forum has almost nothing to do with NBA basketball yet Clutch allows it to exist. Clutch acknowledges that in it many opinions will be expressed that many might find controversial and even offensive. That is the risk of establishing a forum like this. If Google had set up something like D&D and didn't expect that some might also express controversial and even offensive opinions that to me is more on Google than it is on the employees.

In what setting though? If the employee is refusing to work under a female manager because he believes she is genetically less equipped to succeed then yes that is a problem. If he just expresses the opinion privately or in a forum where he was asked to honestly express the opinion but otherwise works just as well under a female manager as a male then that is a different matter. This is where things vere into thought police. Where just having the mere thought, even if unacted upon, is considered as dangerous as an action.

Now if this person was going around constantly talking about women being inferior to men while at his cubicle, the lunchroom, during meetings about other subjects then yes he is a distraction. That is different though than if he generally keeps his views to himself. The only thing then having a forum where you ask for honest opinions is as a trap to root out those who harbor those opinions. That is pretty much thought police.
    Except does just expressing the opinion when encouraged to express an opinion equal harrassment? You have several posters here saying that they agree with the engineer's argument so does that mean that they are guilty of harrassment? If those post got back to their employers, or if they were posting from a work computer would that mean that they are creating a hostile work environment? This is where we are on very dangerous ground regarding criminalizing thought.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It is encouraging that you are willing to accept this as a starting premise.

You are arguing that pointing out biological differences and suggesting they may explain difference in realities or outcomes in the workplace is a sexist comment. Am I fairly summarizing your argument?

The reason I don't see it as "obvious sexism" is because it is a morally neutral inference. Making the extra leap -- therefore women don't belong and should just do something else -- that would be sexist. But that is neither said nor implied in the memo. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'll present this analogy for your consideration. Suppose there were two categories of people -- X and Y -- that make up a basketball league. It turns out that there are more Y people than X people in the league even though the overall population of X and Y people is the same, and we are left scratching our heads as to why that might be. Someone looks at the larger populations of Y and X people and finds that Y people are on average 3 inches taller than X people. She thinks to herself: "Hmmm ... Y people tend to be taller than X people. Being tall is useful in playing basketball. Maybe that's a partial explanation for why there are more Y people than X people in the league?" Now, would you say that line of reasoning is offensive to X people, or is it a morally neutral conjecture? Perhaps you reject the premise that being tall is more useful at playing basketball, all else being equal, and the argument fails on that level. Again, even in that case, is it a case where the argument was just bad because of a faulty premise, or is it the case that the person making the argument is morally wrong? To me, it is quite clear that the argument remains morally neutral, even if the premise is deemed incorrect.

I will quote a line from Steven Pinker which I think offers good food for thought:

“Equality is not the empirical claim that all groups of humans are interchangeable; it is the moral principle that individuals should not be judged or constrained by the average properties of their group.” (Pinker, The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature)

You are effectively charging sexism here because someone is suggesting that men and women, as groups, may not be perfectly interchangeable at his company. But such a claim is a morally neutral empirical position. It may or may not be true, depending on facts of nature, but the claim has no connection whatever to equality or moral justice. The truly important moral principle when it comes to equality, which as I have pointed out the author of the memo recognized multiple times, is that "individuals should not be judged or constrained by the average properties of their group."

With all the above said, maybe this is what you're really driving at. While the claim itself is morally neutral, the act of issuing such a claim in a space where others who are imperfectly rational may see it can potentially cause distress and emotional harm. That is always a risk one takes when dealing with actual human beings (though it is much less of a risk with some than others ;)).

On that basis, one could argue that the person should self-censor himself, even if the content of what he wants to say is completely morally neutral, for the emotional health of his work colleagues around him. At that point, it really just boils down to what we value more -- (1) giving individuals the freedom to express their minds when there is nothing inherently morally wrong in what they're saying, or (2) protecting the feeling of those around them to ensure a "safe workspace". In this case, I side with (1); perhaps you side with (2). If, in the end, you accept my preceding arguments but this is where we part ways, then I think we've taken this discussion as far as it needs to go and I'll be happy to end it with "Agree to Disagree!"

Bearded13 likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, I am arguing that pointing out biological differences as a reason for erroneously explaining why a group is not doing as well as another group - and thereby implying that the other more success group in inherently superior - is sexism. He is not saying they do not belong, but he is implying they are less fit for certain roles because of their genetics. Using basketball as an analogy is a poor choice as athleticism is clearly genetically based on sex, but success in the workplace - there is not a study that shows men have a genetic advantage towards success in that arena.

This is a strawman

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No, it generally starts with a white guy attacking others as being inferior under the guise of just being honest or freedom of speech or some other bull crap. The resulting well earned scorn is met by his like minded troll loser brethren with racist, sexist attacks on innocent people. Just like what's happening now.

Nobody but angry white men have any interest in placating the notion that white men deserve higher paying jobs due to biology. It's freaking shocking how tone deaf you are on this. Just staggeringly insulting.

5. durvasa

I can point you towards a large number of intelligent, thoughtful commentators who do not fit the bill of "angry white men" and who have defended the right of this person to share his document (however they may feel about the overall content) and defended portions of the document against the wild misrepresentations that have circulated in the media (especially in the immediate aftermath of it going viral).

You mistake self-righteous outrage at the expense of seriously engaging and (if you wish) dismantling the arguments put forward by the other side as a virtue. It is neither a virtue nor pragmatic if you actually care about effectively defending women's role in the workplace. It contributes to the divide in our society. You are, to put it simply, part of the problem of why Trump 2016 happened. So, you know, thanks for that.

#265 durvasa, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Bearded13 likes this.
  6. durvasa

Since you didn't respond to it in the prior post, can we agree on the following?

“Equality is not the empirical claim that all groups of humans are interchangeable; it is the moral principle that individuals should not be judged or constrained by the average properties of their group.” (Pinker, The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature)

It's not clear to me if you reject the above as a basic moral principle, or if you accept it but don't feel that it applies in this case.

The second half of your sentence -- the implication is that men are "superior" -- is really puzzling to me. "Superior" at what? If the argument is that men and women have different abilities/preferences, on average, and somehow this leads men on agerage to be more successful at some things and women on average to be more successful at other things -- how do you finally arrive at a blanket conclusion of "men are superior"?

Example: there was this interesting study published earlier this year that Medicare patients of female physicians have lower mortality rates compared to Medicare patients of male physicians. In sum, female doctors tended to follow a more by-the-book, evidence-based approach to health-care and that had a statistically-significant positive outcome on their patient's mortality rate. Perhaps there is some underlying average differences between men and women that would lead women, on average, to be more cautious and responsible when they have another person in their care that plays a role here? I don't know. Would putting that forward as a possible explanation be sexist? In my view, no. Would that mean a female doctor is superior to a male doctor? That would be an irresponsible conclusion for anyone to draw.

Is there a study that shows increased height provides an advantage in basketball all else being equal, or do you simply take it for granted that this must be true based on your understanding of the sport? I haven't seen any such study, and I suppose you haven't either -- so I'm guessing it is the latter. A person who knows little to nothing about basketball might object because it isn't so obvious to him that height matters. He might think you are being bigoted against people who may be naturally shorter. He might demand a full, peer-reviewed study to establish that height actually matters in basketball. What would be your response to such a person?

I hope it is clear that a study should not be necessary if there is a rational argument for why certain biological predispositions that one sex may have relative to the other, on average, would be advantageous in a computer programming field. Well, let's see. One piece of evidence he cited on males tending to be more interested in "things" while females tend to be more interested in "people" is pretty robust and well accepted. For someone who is a programmer (I am one, FYI), it is rather obvious how such a disposition would make it more likely for someone to want to get into programming, all else being equal. And that's not even mentioning all the other "nurture" pressures that tend to encourage young boys more into getting interested in machines/computers compared to young girls (whether you think that is "fair" or not is beside the point -- they exist today whether we like it or not). This is all quite obvious to me, so just as I don't see any moral issue in saying how increased average height plays a factor in the disparity of peoples X and Y in the hypothetical basketball league, I don't see it as a moral problem here either with regards to men and women and getting into computer programming. It doesn't mean men are "superior" (whatever that means), or that a woman who likes programming can't be every bit as good at it as a man.

More evidence, based on cross-cultural studies, is summarized here. One of the striking findings is that in countries with higher gender equality ratings, there is actually a larger disparity in the representation in STEM fields:

#266 durvasa, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Please, tell us more about your racist views about how the white man is responsible for all of society's injustices.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again I skimmed through your post as best I could in the time I have. You are not debating the same thing.

I am not saying women and men don't have different approaches. I am saying connecting performance and success to the y chromosome and expressing that in the work place is wrong and sexist as it sets the standard to discriminate against women.

Read this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/female-google-employee-responds-to-james-damore-memo-2017-8

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to expect that kind of thing from him, he's a real knuckle dragger when it comes to these kinds of things because he's an identitarian himself.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

11. durvasa

OK. I'll respond to some of what she said. Here she sums up her issue with the memo:

She talks about how she "feels" about the memo -- that it was an attack on her personally and to women collectively. I understand having such a "feeling", but I don't see justification in firing him on this basis because the document emphasized quite clearly that whatever general claims on population averages he was making said nothing about individuals and between men and women there is a lot of overlap. Her "feeling" glosses over this crucial part of the document. That's the problem with reacting via "feelings". It is not a rational. When demanding that someone else loses their job, the argument needs to be rational.

She says that his claim was "baseless". But I will insist, irrespective of her feelings, that there is supporting evidence for his claims. There is also supporting evidence to counter his claims. The fact of the matter is this is an area of research where experts disagree, but there are many who generally agree with his claims. My position is that you don't fire someone who is making empirical claims just because you disagree on the science, when there are legitimate experts in the area who support both sides.

I'll turn to a few other things she said:

I have a very different understanding on what "open culture of debate" means. I would like to think that's true, but his firing on (IMO) clearly illegitimate grounds says otherwise.

It's not merely possible. It is true, as we've since learned, and which she should know. On the flip side, would anyone have any fear about making an opposing argument that all disparities in the workforce are necessarily a result of gender discrimination/bias?

I agree with some of this -- he could have been smarter in how he shared his opinions/beliefs. She says the reason he got fired was because he chose to share his opinion in a "disrespectful" manner.

There needs to be a clearly defined threshold for when alleged "disrespect" becomes a fireable offense. Why would any conservative feel safe to voice their opinion, when invariably you have people on the left that believe core conservative principles are inherently disrespectful? On politically charged topics like diversity in the workplace, it is all to easy for one side to feel disrespected by the core beliefs of the other (e.g. many conservatives feel it is disrespectful to presume they discriminate against others based on their sex/race).

Another thing -- in this case, it is clear that he was not intending for his memo to be taken as disrespectful, given his continual emphasis of the fact that what he is talking about is averages which should not be used to pass judgment on individuals, his acknowledgment that gender bias does exist and diversity is a good thing (just going about it wrong), etc. It is not right, in my view, to claim someone else is being disrespectful and fire them over it, when they clearly made an attempt (even if you deem it a poor one) to be conciliatory and point out areas of agreement.

"They're all valid" ... just "need to do it in a respectful way". See above.

She misstates his argument, which is that biology may explain some the differences. Asserting that there is no significant evidence to back that up in the social sciences field is just ignoring (or being ignorant of) the evidence that is there. Again, people are allowed to disagree on the strength of the evidence -- which scientists do in this case. Just because you've taken a side, you can't fire someone else who has taken the other side. This flies in the face of her supposed support for "open culture of debate".

12. durvasa

Which claim?

13. Cohete Rojo

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

It's been a while but the amount of female electrical/computer engineer students representation was pretty high when I was in school for the foreign students (rough eyeball estimation of course) . Certainly much higher than domestic percentage from what I remember and make up the larger amount of actual female engineering student population. If you have actual data that says otherwise I'd love to see it, but that was my impression.

I'm also not claiming that it's there's no disparity between male and female, but just that the gap between male and female would be larger overall if we don't have more foreign students.

It's a trend that's actually increasing.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...udents-pursue-stem-degrees-at-us-universities

https://www.studyinternational.com/...national-students-report/#9JYFi8d7Ts1daOOZ.97

In addition, the next wave of tech centering around big data and machine learning actually are requiring not just coding/engineering but statistical expertise now. The amount of female population in applied math is actually quite high.
    For example (Rice).

https://www.petersons.com/graduate-...of-statistics-000_10044427.aspx#/sweeps-modal

#274 wizkid83, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  15. wizkid83

In your graph btw, it shows about 35%/37% of China and SE Asians Stem students as female. While not 50/50, when you compare with the tech% of Google employee (20% female), it probably showed that there's a bias/difficulty of those students to stay and work in this country.

https://www.google.com/diversity/

I think the answer to bridging the gender gap (if that's your sole goal) is clear, increase H1B Visas (lower threshold), and increase asian enrollment in US STEM education

16. durvasa

I would like to see male/female disparity throughout the world, across different STEM fields. I suspect there will be some interesting patterns that emerge.

17. Cohete Rojo

The main take-away should have been that 70% of F&M STEM students are male. You can (and should) ignore the two charts.

Also, according to that report, 57% of F&M students are male.

18. wizkid83

What's the domestic STEM gender breakdown? What's Google's gender breakdown?

Would increasing H1B to China and India actually improve or hurt gender diversity?

I.e. in the current system, a person from China/India is much less likely to get a H1B due to the country based quota. So we know there are more female stem students from those countries than average F&M, if the sole goal is to shrink employment the gap, what is the right next move?

#278 wizkid83, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  19. wizkid83

Would be interesting

20. Cohete Rojo

I don't know. I haven't gotten around to all of that.