1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last roster spot speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Amazing after all that, no one wants him.

Amazing I tell you Jerry.

2. basketballholic

You don't know that and to deduct it based on him not signing anywhere is faulty logic.

3. Downtown Sniper

Yes. Once again you're right.

No one picking him up clearly indicates people want him.

Gosh darn it how am I so stupid.

4. hakeemthagreat

Rockets need another backup PG, in case Paul gets hurt in the postseason. We have Capela, Faried, Nene & Hartenstein. Why would get another center? I'd rather have a young, disciplined PG that can play defense for depth purposes

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don’t blame Bima for not chiming in on speculation involving Capela incentives reached or not reached.
    Clark guarantees reached or not reached.
    Etc.

Inter-tangled shades of Gray or Grey bordering on “Hopes for failure.”

saleem likes this.
  6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Is Melo available? He is well rested.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The numbers you are citing don’t appear to be “grossing up” the salaries of Gary Clark, James Nunnally or Chris Chiozza. For luxury tax purposes, their salaries need to be re-calculated at the (prorated) *two-year* vet minimum.

Also, no set off for Troy Williams. He didn’t make enough this season for set off to qualify.

Sorry I haven’t had much time for the BBS. Your guess was correct that work has been busy lately. That, plus some serious family stuff to deal with.

8. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Doesn’t seem like a Morey move at all. If anyone else is signed I see another short PG with a below average 3-point shot being signed. Actually, at this point with only 3 games left I do t see anyone being signed that can help. This team is what it is. The rotation won’t change in the playoffs.

9. rockets13champs

Tmac moved to Los Angeles

10. basketballholic

No one picking him up means.... nothing. Yes, you are.

11. Downtown Sniper

Could it, could it mean... Maybe, that people who know what they're doing.

See him as not NBA relevant.

NO. It can't mean that! Because you say he's better suited to the game than Capela!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha.

At times I think you're a 10 year old kid. But then I stop and think, I've spoken to 10 year old kids before. They have more basketball knowledge than you.

topfive and fckbandwagons like this.
  12. basketballholic

I will maintain that a guy that can shoot the 3 that is longer than Capela and is quicker than Capela is better for us than Capela.

I also still believe Qi has the potential to be DPOY in the NBA. And I still believe he's a better switch defender in our system than Capela is. Him being waived doesn't change my mind.

Laugh all you want. You're either 6 or 7.

13. Downtown Sniper

I will maintain that the guy who has improved each and every season in the league - yes, actually playing and contributing to the best regular season Houston Rockets team in history, and dominating Rudy Gobert and KAT in the PLAYOFFS - is better for us than a guy who has been cut from the team and NO OTHER TEAM WANTS TO PUT HIM ON THEIR ROSTER.

I also still believe Qi does not have the potential to be DPOY, because he can't make an NBA roster - something of a small requirement for the award. Oops. And I still believe he is not a better switch defender in our system than Capela is, because you know, there's so much evidence of Capela being good at this and theres - like non - of Zhou doing this.

That might have something to do because there's no history of Zhou playing any meaningful minutes in competetive NBA games. Who knows. I'll leave that one up to you to decipher. But knowing you, you'll probably see that as a reason for Zhou being better than Capela. Who knows how your alternative universe mind works.

A STARTING C ON A 65 WIN WCF TEAM, IS NOT BETTER THAN A NO NAME RUBBISH PLAYER WHO IS:

NOT
    IN
    THE
    LEAGUE
    BECAUSE
    HE'S
    NOT
    GOOD
    ENOUGH
    TO
    MAKE
    A
    ROSTER

Do you understand how utterly ridiculous and ludicrous you are? I get that you go for the WOW factor by being so left field you try to be hip. But boy oh boy your posts in this thread just ram home the fact you're a dead set f*cking idiot. There's simply no sugar coating it.

King1 and topfive like this.
  14. basketballholic

Clint Capela will have to sit down if we beat the Warriors. We will not beat the Warriors with Capela in the top 6 of the rotation.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

last roster spot speculation somehow turns into capela and the rinse, wash, repeat posts by none other than the usual. makes complete sense

baller4life315 and topfive like this.
  16. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Bobby Brown.

Codman likes this.
  17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Discussed.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That doesn't mean that Zhou Qi is better than him either. Not a single GM wants him. I hope he will go back to China and improve on his game, so he can get a chance to come back in the NBA in the future.
    Right now, he is at the level of a G-League player. Potential is not enough.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thx for response and for this hint on where Spotrac and Pincus could be wrong. Look forward to seeing your final tally after season, or whenever.

Also, do your numbers for our portion of Faried and Rivers buyouts jive with Spotrac or Pincus? Or is the whole mistake in the 2-yr min thingie.

#119 heypartner, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  20. basketballholic

Thank you for the response. Prayers for you on the family stuff.

As per usual, YOU ARE RIGHT AGAIN in your cap calculations and I was wrong. I did not account for Clark's markup.

However...... you and I both know Morey isn't going to leave the team in luxury tax peril. We both know we're under the tax line right now. The difference of 32K comes down to 4 days. We're counting the conversion of House Jr from March 13 and the signing of Chiozza from March 23. Those were announced but neither of them is on nba.com yet. So I suspect Chiozza's contract wasn't official until March 24 and that House Jr apparently had a few extra days left on his prorated 45 days. My calculations are that he had 32 days to spend with the Rockets on that two-way deal. He played in 20 games during that stretch and those games covered 40 days. When you look at how those days are calculated.... when there's not a game... and no practice....??? We don't really know how many days he had left. And it makes sense that the Rockets would pull him back down to RGV with time still remaining on his deal instead of running the clock completely out. With the uncertainty over his contract... and possibly needing him at the end of the season or if there was an injury....???

I can't see us really letting the clock run completely out on House Jr and leaving us trapped. So I think we're sent him down with time left. Maybe even 5 days left??? But at least 3-4 days left. And that's all we need to tuck under the tax line.

You don't understand ther Chiozza signing based on ther 32K. But if the Chiozza signing actually coincided with the House Jr. conversion (and the subsequent waiver claims on Evans/Duval) then it makes sense.

There is simply no way that Morey would make those moves and leave himself in a quandary over 32k on the last day of the season. No way.

So, I'm confident we're under the tax line now.. and shortly we'll have at least 500k under the line when it becomes clearly evident that Capela won't hit his FT incentive.

However this does change the dynamics of who we sign........unless we release Clark and he gets picked up by the Mavs or somebody else with a roster spot that wants a free look. And I would not be surprised if that happens. If it does..... there is a substantial player incoming.

Chamillionaire and heypartner like this.