1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last roster spot speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 3, 2019.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, I see him as Covington-lite. Good enough to occupy an "end of bench" spot.

saleem likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think Gordon should be packaged with Clark, and perhaps Green next year for another valuable piece like Tobias Harris. Eric is better than Jamychael, so I wouldn't do that. If we can get a better center than Hartenstein in next year's G-League, or from Europe, I'm all for it.

Props for you my friend, for your creative idea to potentially acquire Clyburn. If Morey can't get him now, maybe he could go after him next season, with some luck.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. basketballholic

Marreese Speights

Vet big man playing in China. Can shoot it.

4. basketballholic

Jared Sullinger
    Andrew Nicholson
    Miroslav Raduljica

Three bigs in the Chinese Association. Can all shoot the 3.

Sullinger highly skilled in the post. Similar body to Bennett. Maybe a little bigger/longer. Very high bball iq. I've always like him. Has a difficult time with his conditioning. Unless he's significantly changed....probably not a good switch defender at all.

Nicholson is similar to Sullinger offensively. HIghly skilled both face up and post up. Really like him. He's a little longer than Sully and in better shape. But not as aggressive on the glass. And he has slow feet. Unless he's signficantly improved he probably would not be a good switch defender.

Raduljica is a 7 footer. More of a Steven Adams lite with some of Adams' type physicality. He'd just as soon bang as do anything. Very physical down low. Slow-footed relatively speaking. Can shoot the 3. But most of the time, pump fakes and heads to the paint to bang around on the opponent. Wouldn't be a switch defender at all. Would be a drop center.

Of these 3 guys....Sullinger is no doubt the best. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. He claims to have improved his conditioning and is serious about maintaining it. Haven't seen him lately so I don't know. But if nothing else materialized I'd say he's worth a shot.

5. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

The question is, would Bennent actually get out and do what the Manimal and Capela does. We all know the answer to that...he is lazy has low IQ and seems to like the mid-range...only a big body...NeNe fits that role and knows our system...my speculation is it doesn't matter..we have our 9-10 guy rotation

#85 seeingredtx, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  6. rockets13champs

You keep saying all these names but you sure know it’s gonna be Bobby Brown

7. basketballholic

Bwaha. Lordy I hope not!

8. basketballholic

Spencer Hawes

Everybody knows what he is. Slow vet big that can shoot it from halfcourt.

9. basketballholic

Kyle Wiltjer

We know what he is. But I'd much rather have him over Hawes if all we can get is a slow big. Wiltjer has the absolute sickest release from 3 for a big man I've ever seen, INCLUDING NOVAK. Ball just grazes his fingertips on the catch and it's gone. He's got range to infinity. And he's deadly accurate. And yes, he's STILL better than Ryan Anderson. I'd take him back if we can't get anybody to play switching defense.

10. saleem

He shot 7 threes vs the Wizards in an exhibition game in this yrs pre-season, but he was too fat.

11. basketballholic

Agree. Last time I seen him I thought he was coasting.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Big" man is right. Have you seen Mo since he went to China? Looks like he's had a bit too much General Tso's chicken..

You rant about Capela not being able to keep up with guards on the perimeter, but you're perfectly okay with letting this Rubenesque has-been have a shot at it?

SMMFH

biff17 and fckbandwagons like this.
  13. saleem

Best of the lot, in my humble opinion. I seriously doubt if Morey can get him in time for a game before the playoffs even if he wanted too. D-Mo just joined the Spurs.

14. basketballholic

Nope. Nowhere did I say I was perfectly okay with giving Speights a shot. I said he could shoot it. I listed him because he's and NBA vet and I can see the possibility of us signing him. But I don't prefer him at this point. And from what I've seen he's coasting.

Don't read more into my words than what I put in there.

15. basketballholic

Not sure about that. I really think we need a guy that will fire away without a conscience from outside. He's hesitant to release it. Wants to get into the bodies and bang. He's good at doing that. And I think he's ready to play a role in the NBA. Just not convinced he's the best choice. For instance, I'd much rather have Qi back than him.

16. basketballholic

Tornike Shengelia
    Jeff Brooks

These are two guys in the euroleague whose teams are on the bubble of the Final 4. Both teams are currently losing their games. And I'm not sure about their contract status. But I know both guys want to play in the NBA. Shengelia has an out. Don't know when he can exercise it. Brooks probably has an easier out. He's older.

Both guys are active defenders and rebounders, both guys can shoot it. Shengelia is a 5/4 who bangs. And Brooks is more athletic and a little quicker. Both guys have NBA skill sets and could easily play in the NBA. They could both play well in a switching defensive scheme. Shengelia was runner up for MVP last season. He's been injured this season. So he's not physically ready.

If we were able to sign Shengelia to a 3-year deal...it would be a steal. I'm putting them on the list. Don't know if either guy will be available in the next week. But these are two guys that could possibly help us.

EDIT: It appears like Brooks team is done and Shengelia's made the Final Four. So Brooks may be a possibility. But a long shot.

#96 basketballholic, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tracy McGrady
    Steve Francis

These two guys both still have something to prove. They're familiar with the Rockets and live in the Houston area. Plus they've both played in the Toyota Center before and know where it's located.

Excellent handles and decent 3-point shots. Redemption stories just waiting to happen.

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm interested in this McGrady character.

Are there any videos of him passing?

topfive likes this.
  19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Different shooting threes in the G League than the NBA

20. basketballholic

Acknowledged already.

But he has improved his stroke considerably. And it will translate to some degree.