1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last roster spot speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 3, 2019.

1. basketballholic

Use this thread to speculate on and highlight who we will be adding next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Anthony Bennett
    He's finally ready to contribute to an NBA team. Has developed a great 3-ball and is very active defensively and in transition. He is on the Clippers gleague team. And they have an open roster spot. And they do have their bi-annual exception available in addition to being able to the minimum salary exception.

However, the Clippers are playing the caproom game this summer so they're going to be hesitant to give Bennett any guaranteed salary next summer. This is where Morey could step in and possibly steal Bennett from them (and others).

We currently have about $456,000 of salary room left under the luxury tax. If Capela fails at both his FT and defensive rebounding incentives, we will have an extra $500,000 available for a total of$956,000 that we could conceivably give a player on April 10 as part of our remaining prorated mid level exception. And we could further guarantee him money next season that another team may be hesitant to match.

#1 basketballholic, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Holic reduced to this. Sad.

King1, seeingredtx, Nook and 10 others like this.
  3. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Pierre Jackson.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

5. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Silence

JoeBarelyCares and hakeem94 like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought it was going to be Anthony Randolf before I opened the thread.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Ty Lawson

8. Know Your Role

Earl Curlton.

xiki likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rubio

alethios and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I wonder why Bennett is not on an NBA team at this point. Hoop IQ maybe? Can he fill a role rather than just being a scorer?

He's shooting well over 40% from three in the G-League. Terrence Jones was pretty good from three in the development league also though so I wonder how inflated three percentages can get from the G-League.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

James Harden has that seat reserved

chadyang likes this.
  12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I side with @basketballholic on this one... he would make great 15th man..... he looks as though he can be like a Beasley type addition with a three pointer. That would be BIGG for us.

13. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I would guess there a few horror stories around the NBA about him, about a lack of effort or discipline etc. It kinda seems to me that that reputation can stick with a player, even in a league where every team is trying outsmart the rest of the field by making low risk high reward moves.

saleem, Clutch, topfive and 1 other person like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, DMo's out . :(

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Move over Thon Maker,

Anthony Bennet...

Come On Down..!!!

King1, fckbandwagons, kubli9 and 3 others like this.
  16. Voltik

Voltik Member

No mention of Capela? I’m glad you’ve come to your senses on not getting rid of him.

We need a stretch 4/5 that can rebound and switch.

King1, Williamson, mike2k132 and 2 others like this.
  17. basketballholic

Inflated because defenses don't rotate as well down there for sure. But the difference in his mechanics and Terrence's is considerable. His release is much quicker and cleaner. Some of those 3's in the video are ridonkulous. Catching off balance one- handed and going straight into shoot. And even quickening his release because of the close out and still knocking it down.

IF he has become an upper tier 3- point shooter he's a guy that could really mismatch defenses. The post skills are there against smaller defenders. He can pass and handle. If that's there, as it appears to me it is, the only question marks are his defense. I don't know if there's a better risk out there for us right now. And we really need to get 3 years and birds rights out of our remaining MLE for a future rotation contributor.

#17 basketballholic, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Williamson and saleem like this.
  18. BigBum

BigBum Member

I agree to take him.
    Not a big mistake.

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

TJ seemed really slow getting into a 3-pt 'stance'. May work in GL/does not in NBA.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Holic deserves a pat on his pointed little head, since this is one of his more sensible posts. If we're talking tail-end of the roster, you want someone who might just possible grow into a bigger role. Bennett had traits and skills that made the Cavs gamble on him and the rest of the league think he was 1st-round material, so maybe he's ready to use them properly now.

I'm not sure he's a Morey kind of guy, though, despite the cost-to-possible-reward ratio.

And it definitely ain't gonna happen if Clint somehow hits that FT goal.