1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lakers contemplating trading Lebron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Mar 14, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The real problem with the Lakers and the Knicks is that players that go there do so for the wrong reason.

It's never to win but to build their brand and celebrity. This is why it just doesn't work in today's NBA.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lebron is a brand. The Cavs had better ratings than the Lakers last year. Lebron is getting older and the talent on the lakers is hurt and/or not so good.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All of that is true and what is also true is that he didn't go to the Lakers with winning on his mind. It was a secondary thing and it reminds me of so many other FAs that decided to go play for the Knicks or Lakers, it's always about the brand. Lebron wanted to be in movies and have a hollywood career so he wanted to build his brand outside of basketball and that was part of his decision to go to the Lakers.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He went there to make his tv shows and movies. I agree he didn't go there to win. I don't think the Lakers Brand is helping the Lebron's brand. I think its hurting it.

ramotadab and JayGoogle like this.
  5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I disagree. I think the FO has FINALLY embraced drafting etc. They've made some good picks, and good moves, and have a great young core to build around. They are building around being in the mix a couple years from now..and have the core to do it, as well as cap space to add a significant FA next year...possibly two if Powell opts out. Since, as you indicate, LeBron doesn't get them farther down the path, and hurts their long term prospects, no reason to do it.

Nor do I think LeBron would go for it...does he have a no trade claus?

#85 BigDog63, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

He does not have an official no trade clause bc you have to spend 4 seasons with a team to be eligible for it. But overall no one is trading LeBron, even if the Lakers actually wanted to. He’s too powerful and the backlash of trading him too strong, unless LeBron welcomed/demanded it.

Overall, I think LeBron knew what he was getting himself into and was already prepared for the possibility that the Lakers would be mediocre. Like a lot of other people said... moving to LA wasn’t about basketball. LeBron is basically at peace with what he’s accomplished on the court. At this point (16th year) any success on the court is likely a bonus for him and winning a 4th championship wouldn’t move the needle much in terms of his legacy. He’s easily top 3 all time if he retired today and again, a 4th ship probably doesn’t increase his standing beyond that. It’s pretty clear at this point that family and off court professional pursuits are bigger priorities for him than basketball.

#87 Elephant810, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Nook and ramotadab like this.
  8. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I like that pic :)

Either lebron has no lift anymore or that was a dumb move. Instead of fading back he is fading down. Just lift his legs back to not touch the floor. Of course he was gonna get block. He needs to get more separation there.