1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker: Could he be our everyday LF in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Is Kyle Tucker ready to be our everyday LF?

1. No, kid needs some more time in the minors to work on a few things.

2. Yes, potential is oozing from him, let's get this party started!

3. Maybe, its still early in Spring Training, let's not hyperventilate over the kind just yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

What are the reports on his defense

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Average in the corners is what I hear most with some saying above average there. Has a strong enough arm for right.

3. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, he's got enough arm to play all 3 spots and he's a very good athlete, I haven't seen him enough to know how he reads the ball and what kind of routes he takes, instincts and all that. I'm guessing that at the very worst he will be a very good LFer.

4. Nook

Nook Member

He is above average right now, and I would go as far as to say he is pretty good. A lot of scouts in the past have projected him long term to be average because they believe he will lose speed when he fills out. I don't think he is ever going to be "big" and likely won't lose much speed gaining 20-30 lbs of mostly muscle over the next 4-5 years.

His biggest issue is he has a flat swing and doesn't hit for much of an average as a result. Also he is fast but isn't the best at knowing when to steal and when not to.

I think he is a lot like Josh Reddick. That isn't a star player but a very useful one long term. It just may take him awhile to really settle in.

The superstar potential belongs to the Cuban kid in AA.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While the hope is he's an all-star, isn't this about the average expectation...a guy that bounces between average to slightly above average starter for most of his club controlled years? The big difference from Reddick is that he will make next to nothing for 4 years allowing the Astros to spend money on their stars. You get 3-4 Reddicks on club controlled contracts and that leaves quite a bit of position player money for the other positions.

On whether he's a star or not, it goes back to whether he can get loft on the ball. He does not appear to be doing it this year like he was last year. It is not good to be lefthanded and pull grounders.

#325 Joe Joe, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

It's not good to be righthanded and roll over on balls either...cough...Bregman...cough.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Alvarez is our second best prospect behind Whitley no doubt. Its incredible to see a kid at such a young age with that oppo power.

I do see Tucker being a little bit better than Reddick long term which means he is a really good prospect.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Eek! I knew he wasn't doing good on grounders, but that is freakishly bad for a RHB. Too many games with either Simmons or Chapman on the left side.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Oppo field Bregman is the best Bregman.

10. Buck Turgidson

This is neither here nor there, but the Padres just called up their 22-yo masher, Franmil Reyes. He had already hit 14 HRs in AAA this year (the most in any league), the kid is 6'5" 275 lbs and plays RF. He should be coming up to bat in the next inning or so, I want to see this.

Jordan Lyles is pitching for the Pads, he's been doing really well so far this year.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Now that Gattis is back to form (actually better than ever) is there even a chance for him to get called up prior to August? Kemp is doing a pretty good job in LF.

13. conquistador#11

Boooo! I got excited when I saw the thread bumped hoping for his call up.

14. CinematicFusion

His outfield play still needs more refinement, though.

“It’s just overall awareness,” Linares said at the start of Fresno’s ongoing series at Dell Diamond in Round Rock. “At times, being so young, he does take at-bats sometimes to defense. If he doesn’t get a hit or if he had a bad at-bat, you can see it. He gets frustrated, takes some bad routes. But it’s all about maturing as a player in his development. The bat’s way ahead in that regard. He can hit. There’s no question about [it] that he can hit.”

15. Buck Turgidson

So what do you think Bregman now?

Honest question.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've always liked Bregman even though he pulls a ton of grounders. He has good plate discipline. Still erratic on defense after a spectacular postseason. Probably an unpopular opinion, but he's one small adjustment from being the best player on team. Could be defensive consistency or turning some flies into doubles. He puts the ball in ball play so often, that even a small amount of added authority is going to add a lot of value.

#336 Joe Joe, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Rodman23 and Tomstro like this.
  17. htownbball

htownbball Member

Agree, has the ability to shoot liners to the right side, but never does

18. Nook

Nook Member

I tend to agree with this. You can watch him and witness the improvement. I think you will likely see a power increase. When he is comfortable and confident he hits homers and if he is hitting 25-30 homers with 40+ doubles... watch out.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That new President of Baseball Operations doing good work.