1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Bryant could score 100 in a game in today's NBA - Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He wants to say he could score 100 points in a game in today's NBA and this is his low key way of doing that without looking like a jackass. I'm so sick of this old timer "back in my day" bs.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm going to go ahead and disagree. Wilt was doing that in an NBA that wasn't even fully integrated. He wasn't even necessarily playing against the best players in the country; a country with less than half the population and thus half the talent of our current country AND in which basketball wasn't as popular as it is now so many of your top athletes were playing baseball and football.

Kobe played in an era when the vast majority of the best players on the planet were in the NBA. And the population of the planet was up to 7 billion. That's a whole lot more available talent.

#62 Williamson, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  3. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

He scored 81 chucking up shots an entire game and not getting a single assist.

Soooooo....what? We saw what he could do when he chucked up shots an entire game when he was hot against single coverage. How much more could he score if more of those were threes instead of twos? One could argue he would have scored less getting to the ft line less.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  4. Mr. Space City

For a perimeter player to score 100 in todays nba (with today’s pace) they would have to have the most perfect game from 2, 3, and have the free throws necessary to get up to that total.

I’m talking like 15 made 3’s WITH like 25 free throws MADE and that still comes out to 70 points from just 3’s and free throws and you would still need 30 points from just 2’s.

On top of that you would have to actually go out of your way to not pass the ball.

The only guy who has the ability to get 15 3’s WITH 25+ free throw attempts is harden. The problem is harden would probably settle for a 70 point triple double rather than go for 100.

Williamson and D-rock like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mike D’Antoni did coach Kobe on the lakers

D-rock likes this.
  6. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Kobe most overrated superstar in the top 20 of NBA players. Inefficient, often made his team worse, stacked teams, and horrible clutch time statistics.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Shakee

Shakee Member

I dont get on this site as much as I used to...the T-Mac hate has increased. What did he do new to piss this fanbase off?

9. Nook

Nook Member

You mean other than picking the Lakers to win against his own team (yes he was playing for the Rockets at the time);

Being too big a coward to draw contact in the lane and as a result shooting mediocre mid range jumpers and threes?;

Getting unnecessary surgery without telling the Rockets and effectively ending his career;

Rambling on about how tough he was and “old school” he was, when he was soft as Charmin by 25;

Never working hard in practice or his game....

Guy was a top 5-10 talent all time, better than Kobe or Harden or Duncan.... yet he was a MASSIVE underachiever.

People can deal with guys underachieving or being hurt, but don’t prop yourself up by putting everyone else down that is currently playing. His sorry as could have been an elite PF but didn’t like to work... so he and Quitten Pippen can shut their mouths.

Kobe was inefficient and a questionable leader but at least he busted his ass.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think you are targeting age 26 or 27. That is when he started declining and having spasms.

At age 25 he still was having those 13 in 35 seconds and winning 2 on the road against them Mavs.

11. Milos

Milos Member

YUP
    Pretty good summary

I felt compelled to expound on my personal favorite from your list ...

The surgery timeline went something like this:
    Spent previous offseason skipping surgery rehabs at facility
    Showed up to camp nowhere near 100%
    SLOWLY worked his way 'back' first 2 months
    Declared himself ready in JAN despite objections from team Med staff
    Despite clearly being a shell of himself, began publicly complaining about minutes and role

Then finally, my all-time MeMac move ...
    With deadline approaching, and fearing being shipped off to a lotto small-market team ...
    McLady found his own Dr to tell him he needed another surgery right before deadline ...
    Thereby killing any deals which could have brought back actual contributors ...
    For a team in the midst of a 22-game winning streak behind the best stretch of Yao's career

I still find this to be the ultimate one-line summary of Stacy McLady:
    The ONLY time a McGrady Rockets team advanced to the 2nd round was the year he tried to sabotage his own team

Anybody who rides Harden about DEF effort / shot selection / clutch performance / etc should appreciate that he carries this team on his back night after night, year after year, and never complains

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.